UT99 Necris female commando model redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT99 Necris female commando model redesign

First of all, I am very happy that there will be a new Unreal Tournament. The modding community of UT99 was my introduction to modelling 3D models, painting textures and learning about animation.
    I think it is very exciting that Epic involves the community into the development process of this game. I would also contribute to this game, but my idea is probably more suited for the marketplace,
    than for the release version of the new UT.
    I was always a fan of the female commando models of the original UT. I could remember that I saw in the year 1999 or 2000, a scribble of a Necris female commando model by James Green, former animation
    artist of Epic. I always wanted to revisit this design of the Necris model, but in all the years I somehow always missed the chance to put some work into it. Now, with the new UT and the marketplace,
    I thought I should give it a chance and try to find a design that would somehow keep the key feature of the original lowpoly game model, the scribble by James Green and some ideas of mine.
    Keeping it all very clear, without too many fine details. Most of the models done with subdivision modelling, so I can resist to add too many details. Something that still happens to me, when I use
    sculpting software like Zbrush or Mudbox. I think that this approach still fit somehow into the more streamlined design of the new UT characters and levels.

I hope it is OK, that I post the scribble of James Green, who has left Epic Games and is now director of Carbon Games (https://www.carbongames.com/airmech/home.html).

The renderings just show the "high poly" models. I have not started on the lowpoy version of it. I will wait for a reference model by Epic, for the final proportions and correct placement of the bones.
    In the moment, the model uses more or less the proportion of the female UT3 models.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by UThusch View Post
    First of all, I am very happy that there will be a new Unreal Tournament. The modding community of UT99 was my introduction to modelling 3D models, painting textures and learning about animation.
    I think it is very exciting that Epic involves the community into the development process of this game. I would also contribute to this game, but my idea is probably more suited for the marketplace,
    than for the release version of the new UT.
    I was always a fan of the female commando models of the original UT. I could remember that I saw in the year 1999 or 2000, a scribble of a Necris female commando model by James Green, former animation
    artist of Epic. I always wanted to revisit this design of the Necris model, but in all the years I somehow always missed the chance to put some work into it. Now, with the new UT and the marketplace,
    I thought I should give it a chance and try to find a design that would somehow keep the key feature of the original lowpoly game model, the scribble by James Green and some ideas of mine.
    Keeping it all very clear, without too many fine details. Most of the models done with subdivision modelling, so I can resist to add too many details. Something that still happens to me, when I use
    sculpting software like Zbrush or Mudbox. I think that this approach still fit somehow into the more streamlined design of the new UT characters and levels.

The renderings just show the "high poly" models. I have not started on the lowpoy version of it. I will wait for a reference model by Epic, for the final proportions and correct placement of the bones.
    In the moment, the model uses more or less the proportion of the female UT3 models.
    Nice! Glad to see the classic models being brought back to life here. Criticism wise, it seems like her waist/hip proportions, as well as her shoulders, are a bit exaggerated. The model you have just has a bit of a stockier feel than the original.

Also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing her clothing a little bit more conservative. And I know you mention you're holding off on details, but I really like the little touches on the James Green sketch like the collar, wristcuffs, and kneeguards. Hopefully as you make progress you can make some modular designs for detailing and use those to add individuality to your characters.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Looks awesome, I agree that it's nice to see the old models redone to modern standards. But she really needs much more waist to her, it's far too narrow. I also think she needs more cover over her backside. The whole sex appeal thing aside, can you imagine running around a lethal deathmatch with a tiny strap wedged in your date?

Comment

woohhhwww.. niiice !
        except really well neatly felicitous !!!

best regards
        Blacky
        Last edited by Blackcrack; 01-26-2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Necris break the interweb

Join the community Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

This is amazing! Now, please so Freylis.
            >ZK<Drakir: demorec d;)
            The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies. To win the tournament. To help the community.

Comment

Very good. You can now try to make some choices armor. How about shorts? As I recall, in UT women fighters were not shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
                I also think she needs more cover over her backside. The whole sex appeal thing aside, can you imagine running around a lethal deathmatch with a tiny strap wedged in your date?
                Did it really disturb you in UT99? Why not keep the UT99 soul of this model, I think this look of Necris women had some impact on the dark atmosphere in that game.

Comment

The model has a few features from James Greens sketch missing which i think would be cool included, The knee pads, wrist bracelets, not sure about the shoe part but thats different too.

Excellent job you brought the ut99 version into 2015

Comment

Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
                    Did it really disturb you in UT99? Why not keep the UT99 soul of this model, I think this look of Necris women had some impact on the dark atmosphere in that game.
                    It was not anywhere close to realistic in UT99, the crotch was probably all of one polygon + buried in shadow.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
                      So putting a little extra cover on her *** is going to ruin the entire thing? Hardly. Their rump isn't the heart and soul or what defined the Necris.

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
                        So putting a little extra cover on her *** is going to ruin the entire thing? Hardly. Their rump isn't the heart and soul or what defined the Necris.
                        Well, it always seemed to me the Necris females in UT99 were a bit oversexualized.

Comment

well the camel toe as much as i like looking at the female body is a bit too much, call me old fashioned but clothes are supposed to cover up the ******. Keep in mind kids will be playing too
                          Last edited by code187; 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Nice work! I am not a big fan of the direction that epic is taking the necris so I am glad that there are people out there that still wanna keep it real.

on a side note though, the silhouette of your necris does not look at all as athletic as the ut99 necris. let me try to explain: your necris has an 8 kind of shape to its body with its big chest, small waist, wide hips and big thighs. but the ut99 model to me at least has kind of a V shape to its body, it being wider shoulders, not so small waist, and hips not as wide as the shoulders, this gives it a lot more athletic look which to my opinion is more fitting to ut considering that the characters are supposed to be running around and doing flips and dodges

in short. your model looks great but it does not look athletic like the original ut99 model

Comment

Thank you for your positive comments. As long as we do not know what Epic is exactly planning about skeletons and animations, I will stop working on this model. When we know more, I will take a look at the design of this model and will maybe change some of its elements. But so far I am quite happy with it. Maybe I will start another "highpoly" redesign of an old classic UT99 model. This could help me to refine this art style. But I hope I have enough time for it, besides work and real life.

Comment

Working...
                              X