No announcement yet.

UT99 Necris female commando model redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, it's me, LunSei, the user who's strenuously nagging around about the female character design of Unreal!
    People who might remember my old posts will know how I feel about this kind of character. She looks utterly ridiculous, she cements the idea that videogames are the hobby of lonely male teenagers, and, much more importantly, she looks very out of place in a sci-fi setting like I hope the new Unreal will be.

We're not in the '90s and this isn't an edgy cheesy comic book videogame. We're in 2015 and this is a "serious" videogame trying to create a convincing and dark sci-fi atmosphere.

I would say if they made a male version of this same exact outfit, you'd hear cries of disappointment, claiming it looks awkward.
    Then again, not even a male version of this same exact outfit would improve things... if it looks ridiculous in Unreal, it looks ridiculous regardless of whose gender is wearing it.

I want Necros to be scary undead cyborg, not cheesy over-the-top silly goth emo vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by LunSei View Post
      I would say if they made a male version of this same exact outfit, you'd hear cries of disappointment, claiming it looks awkward.
      This is worth considering and remains to be proved.

I want Necros to be scary undead cyborg, not cheesy over-the-top silly goth emo vampires.
      I want Necris to be scary over-the-top goth emo vampires, not silly cheesy undead cyborgs.

,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Another great thing about UT99 - ALL characters
        always appearaed more adult than in any other games!
        GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
          This is worth considering and remains to be proved.

I want Necris to be scary over-the-top goth emo vampires, not silly cheesy undead cyborgs.

Mmmhmh. Because for you, that pretty chick wearing night club attire is.... "scary"? Oh my, exposed buttcheeks, I am terrified!! And nothing screams "future" like a goth vampire, isn't it? You see goth vampires all the time in science fiction, innit?

Comment

Well, the truth is that screaming "future" is irrelevant in this case. Screaming "Necris" is the relevant matter.
            And this UT4 necris are an almost exact copy of the Star Trek Borg. They don't scream "Necris", they scream "Borg".
            No matter what the Epic guys say, to the UT fans those characters are not Necris.
            They are Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
              Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
              Well, the truth is that screaming "future" is irrelevant in this case. Screaming "Necris" is the relevant matter.
              And this UT4 necris are an almost exact copy of the Star Trek Borg. They don't scream "Necris", they scream "Borg".

This is the point that I don't really understand. Unreal Tournament doesn't need any of these characters to be present in order to be an Unreal Tournament game. If you don't like something, then don't include it. This is the most straightforward and rational response in my mind.

The way characters have been treated in Unreal Tournament is like someone decided they didn't like the Flak Cannon being an industrial gun that shot shrapnel, so they decided it should be an energy weapon that fired lasers. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and it's really puzzling why this has consistently been the case. I don't know if it's just lack of concern for this side of the game from Steve, or whether there's some other meaningful reason behind wanting to reinvent the wheel.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Mmmhmh. Because for you, that pretty chick wearing night club attire is.... "scary"? Oh my, exposed buttcheeks, I am terrified!!
                No... But a half naked Borg woman in army trousers is?

And nothing screams "future" like a goth vampire, isn't it? You see goth vampires all the time in science fiction, innit?
                Why does it have to scream "future"? It has to scream "Unreal" ...A plausible futuristic unreality ... that's what people expect, and not again another futuristic shooter à la Halo, Gears or Kill Zone.

Undead goth "vampires" are a specialty of the Unreal universe... and therefore unique for this franchise.
                ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Mmmhmh. Because for you, that pretty chick wearing night club attire is.... "scary"? Oh my, exposed buttcheeks, I am terrified!! And nothing screams "future" like a goth vampire, isn't it? You see goth vampires all the time in science fiction, innit?
                  You're coming across quite aggressive. There's no need for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
                    You're coming across quite aggressive. There's no need for that.
                    My intention wasn't to sound aggressive, I apologize if I gave that impression.

I'm still quite convinced that "stripper goth vampire" isn't what I would expect from a charming and evocative sci-fi setting. Granted, I am a newbie, the first Unreal Tournament I played was UT3. But I absolutely loved the character design in this game, and I wish this next episode continued on those imaginative sci-fi atmospheres.

If you really wish to convey sexuality, then there is a way to convey sexuality without stepping into the juvenile, ridiculous and out-of-place.

These characters are a good example of a design that is feminine, attractive and sensual, while at the same time being eerie, futuristic and even disturbing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

LunSei. i don't understand why you feel the need to come to this thread to complain that this particular design doesn't fit your OWN PERSONAL TASTES when the official Epic necris design seem too already suit your desires. you seem to have missed the point of this design entirely. it is supposed to be an "update" or more like a new high poly version of the classic ut99 design and this is how it looked and this is how it should look. why yes the model needs some touch up but that's more or less it. we all love it!

you are not even giving critique, you're just saying "this is how i wan't it and that's how it should be". well i'm sorry but you don't get to say that until you make your own necris design. i hope you do realise that you are the only one not pleased with this design, everyone else loves it. instead of complaining and trying to inject your own tastes in to this design, spend your time and energy making your own instead!

and i final word to UThusch. keep up the good work man!

Comment

Originally posted by Ballista View Post
                        LunSei. i don't understand why you feel the need to come to this thread to complain that this particular design doesn't fit your OWN PERSONAL TASTES when the official Epic necris design seem too already suit your desires. you seem to have missed the point of this design entirely. it is supposed to be an "update" or more like a new high poly version of the classic ut99 design and this is how it looked and this is how it should look. why yes the model needs some touch up but that's more or less it. we all love it!

you are not even giving critique, you're just saying "this is how i wan't it and that's how it should be". well i'm sorry but you don't get to say that until you make your own necris design. i hope you do realise that you are the only one not pleased with this design, everyone else loves it. instead of complaining and trying to inject your own tastes in to this design, spend your time and energy making your own instead!

and i final word to UThusch. keep up the good work man!

But I AM giving critique.
                        What part of "goth vampires don't look sci-fi" and "stripper attire doesn't seem to fit my memories of UT3, which I loved" didn't you read?

What I think is being missed here, is that this specific character design, the stripper goth vampire, could actually look excellent in another videogame. Perhaps a flashy, over-the-top superhero comic book videogame like Bayonetta or Killer Is Dead.

But on Unreal? Just my opinion, obviously, but this image is absolutely not what I think fits the game.

I suppose if my personal views on this design get some people this much bothered, I can easily leave this thread - I think I have already explained well why I think it's a out of place design, and what I would've chosen instead.

Comment

But I AM giving critique.
                          What part of "goth vampires don't look sci-fi" and "stripper attire doesn't seem to fit my memories of UT3, which I loved" didn't you read?

What I think is being missed here, is that this specific character design, the stripper goth vampire, could actually look excellent in another videogame. Perhaps a flashy, over-the-top superhero comic book videogame like Bayonetta or Killer Is Dead.

But on Unreal? Just my opinion, obviously, but this image is absolutely not what I think fits the game.

I suppose if my personal views on this design get some people this much bothered, I can easily leave this thread - I think I have already explained well why I think it's a out of place design, and what I would've chosen instead.
                          I don't think you've read his reply properly.

These designs on this thread are re-makes of the old UT99 characters, bringing back their looks/spirit, the discussion you are trying to start would've been nice for 16-17 years ago when these characters were designed for UT99, but on this thread they are simply being "updated" to modern quality standards. For the new UT a new direction is obviously being taken (as shown in earlier concepts), while these timeless designs could very likely end up on the Marketplace (if there will be opportunity for custom models in-game).

Of course you are free to share your personal views, but I feel that the scope of these views of yours are a bit off-topic on this thread and would belong better in a more general female character thread.
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                            I don't think you've read his reply properly.

These designs on this thread are re-makes of the old UT99 characters, bringing back their looks/spirit, the discussion you are trying to start would've been nice for 16-17 years ago when these characters were designed for UT99, but on this thread they are simply being "updated" to modern quality standards. For the new UT a new direction is obviously being taken (as shown in earlier concepts), while these timeless designs could very likely end up on the Marketplace (if there will be opportunity for custom models in-game).

Of course you are free to share your personal views, but I feel that the scope of these views of yours are a bit off-topic on this thread and would belong better in a more general female character thread.

Got it. (I did make a generic female character thread somewhere...)

Well, I don't think I can contribute to this thread, then - carry on guys. :P

Comment

Do you know how extract and pack models and animation from jazz jackrabbit 3d(1999) outside classic unreal gold editor or engine?Something pretty familiar to this video.

Comment

How to extract .utm and .utx files to put into Blender within animations?

Comment

Working...
                                X