UT99 Necris female commando model redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    UThusch awesome work- would love to see this character holding some of the classic weapons I made. If only for some sweet renders. Ping me if you're interested!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good
    stuff

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like the style :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What kind of skin/model creator/editor do you use?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your model and skin is just amazing though hair shines a bit like plastic to me and seems solid.
    You should make all the old UT female skin for this model.
    Works like this brings us closer the old games rebirth.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Warning - Honest Critique:

I feel like this is a very unrefined, uninspired model lacking any detail or forethought when it comes to creative direction. I understand that you were working off the concepts but the entire thing looks like an action figure from the 90s. The female model in particular looks like a lifeless doll but the detailing on the armor is the worst aspect by far.

Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    She looks amazing! Can't wait til she's available! I'd like to try my hand at creating some skin sets for that model.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UThusch View Post
    I used some time over the weekend to create a Dark Phalanx version of my model:

Dat *** do....

Awesome work on the character. What software did you use to make this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome stuff dude!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heh, looking at this now sure makes the old design look weird, even though I used to like it Times change I guess...

I wish my PC was working so I can finish my minigun and get to work on character models, because I have a lot of ideas for Metal Guard, Black Phalanx and some monsters.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The number on the original model screenshot looks like a DE-78 to me. Maybe a nod to Digital Extremes? Not uncommon they did that kind of stuff in the older games.

[MENTION=38634]UThusch[/MENTION], it's pretty cool what you're doing here. I can totally imagine your models going well with the UT99 weapon models [MENTION=12046]Rooster128[/MENTION] is working on!

Some have mentioned the face of the model could need some work and I think they might have a point there.
    I've made some variations to the face and tried to show what you could do with slight changes to the proportions and gradual progression to add some individual character, I hope you don't mind! Right now, it looks a bit idealized and smooth, but it serves as a good base to work from.
    Apart from that, to make her look tougher, you can add some scars, bodypaint, or piercings. Maybe even tattoos if you come up with a good design (maybe the team's logo?).
    So, here's the batch of paintovers:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    (Geez, the forum software refused to upload it at first...) I upscaled the original image and roughly smoothed it out on paintovers so you can zoom in and see the changes better. I also tried to maintain the DNA of the Dark Phalanx team's style.

Here a list of changes:
    A: Narrowed upper lip, narrowed nose and cheeks a bit, made jaw edgier and chin flatter. Slightly decreased size of iris for a more intimidating and less soft, idealized look. Added birthmark for individual touch.

B: Adapted changes from A without birthmark, made face more skinny by making bony cheeks with less body fat while slightly making corners of mouth less prominent. Made eyes look slightly droopy by lowering the lower eyelid on the outer sides. Revealed more of her forehead by moving hair a bit. Added small dimple at chin. Slightly increased shoulder and muscle mass on upper arms. Added piercing to her eyebrow. Made sixpack more prominent and added less noticable scars.

C: Took B without eyebrow-piercing and moved eyes closer together, narrowed mouth. Made chin more prominent by increasing width. Added scar to lower lip and chin. Added piercing on navel. Made scars more noticable.

D: Kept most of C but moved eyes more apart than in original, A and B and tilted them for a droopy, weary look. Moved mouth downwards and increased length of nose. Made nose more narrow and tilted the tip of her nose downwards by just a bit. No navel piercing, instead, her scars are made more prominent and some smaller ones are added on arms and neck.

E: Essentially, how D could look with bodypaint, nothing changed besides that. Some UT99 characters had facepaint/bodypaint and it feels like this could go well with the look of Dark Phalanx too. Alternatively, you could mess around with metal implants a'la Gorn.

(Personally, I think face B suits it best)

Keep working on these models!
    I hope to see more soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sly.; 04-13-2016, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the shoulders could be somewhat wider to make her look tougher. Also, the shoulder pads look a little bit like some metal scrap strapped to the shoulders, what I mean is that they don't seem to blend well with the rest of the armor. I think one way to solve this would be to make them round instead of angular (but still pointy when looking at the whole from the front) and give them the same material as the rest of the armor.

To me the head looks a little bit weird, but maybe that's because it is WIP, but she looks as if she hay fever (could be because it is spring, hehe) :P I think it is because there's too much red around the eyes, also the lips look a little bit too swollen. Compared to the old dark phalanx, the nose is a bit too round/swollen as well, could be somewhat thinner and pointier, but that's only if you want to make it very accurate.

Just some feedback, keep up the great work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dang, I think that looks really awesome!! I'd lime to see that in game. Looks tough enough for an arena shooter for sure. I know how some people are gonna get with how she's showing a LOT of unprotected skin for being in a combat zone, so it might be worth it to see how she might look with the leather stretched out over certain areas like.... the mid riff, and the inside of the thighs underneath the fishnets? Plus maybe slightly poking out from over the top of the thigh pads an inch or two? Mostly bare arms and mostly exposed cheeks would be kept though!!

Not really in the interest of "preserving her decency" or anything like that, I just wonder if its worth checking out for the sake of making her look tougher, but keeping the initial impression. I think it might accentuate, as well as update. Or just keep her the way she is, cause it does look good now.

The phalanx models deserves its own topic!! Looks pretty sweet.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

Sorry for the long wait of an update, but real life and work taking its toll.
    I startet to texture the Dark Phalanx model in Substance Painter.
    Some quick screenshots below. Sorry for the missing antialising, but I still use an old version of
    Substance Painter , without rendering, and I do not like the antialising option under the post effects settings.
    The proportions and the pose match the current Necris model in game.

Does anybody know, what are the letters on the original breast plate of the UT99 Dark Phalanx textures?
    I think the last three of them are the numbers 7, 2 and 1. But I can not really identify the first two of them.
    The resolution in the original game textures is just too low.
    So I have decided to use a "D" and a "P", standing for Dark Phalanx.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X