Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Details!

Hey, it's Sh!eldZ again

Alright, I've got some more attention-to-detail things for you all...

I'd like to see my characters hands/arms & legs/feet (according to species and look of the character) and body even (as if you're looking down realistically, you can see your chest and such) when I play; realistic shadows of the characters silhouettes would be great too.

In UT99, you could see your arms while you played the game which is nice, but what I realized is that when you're a Skaarj Hybrid, Xan, or WarBoss, the arms viewed in the game are that of a humans and there's no species differentiation except the players voice and his/her visual appearance to other players in the game and this goes for all of the other Unreal games too.

In other games these days, you can see your own characters legs which is another thing that is nice. In Unreal, you can't see them at all and when I was a youngin', I always thought that I was floating without considering the sounds that the characters makes when he/she runs lol.

As for the chest thing? That isn't a big thing in games at all really and it's very rare but if I recall, there was this dinosaur game in which you were a female and to see if you were damaged at all in the game (I don't think that there was a health bar) you would have to look down at the ladies chest to see if there was any bruising or scaring. In Unreal, that part of the thing is stupid, health bars are great but it would just give a more real feel. More detail articles coming soon!

Since UT3, your arms are different per species. I still laugh at the sight of Marisa's (Touhou mod. Hint hint) hand loading up the Enforcer pistol every spawning sequence

As for legs and chest... well it's kind of hard request imo. If we use real first person camera (as in using third person model for everything.) Positioning gun would be hard and rather awkward. If we kept the usual first person model and add those legs and body, synching it with the actual movement, let alone animating it, would not be easy

Either way, it's too distracting, especially if you want to aim down

Comment

Chest and legs won'te be added as it's just to distracting (if you look down). As UT will be an Arena-FPS type of game (mostly) such thing can break the game. I know there's already a thread about that I think there's already an official statement to that.

Hands/Arms will likely be different from species to species. With UE3/UE4 they do have an option to properly animate such character parts according to their proportions so they always grab the weapon properly.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I see your logic and distractions are very likely. I wouldn't think that it would be hard to animate because, what if someone hired one of those people with the skin tight blue suits with the white balls on them to do the animations and then Epic could computerize them?

Comment

I was just looking for a more accurate-to-life game play type of thing, that's all. I'm thinking very realistic when I jot my ideas down for this game...
          Last edited by Sh!eldZ; 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Well if it were real life, I wouldn't be checking myself out, I'd be trying to stay alive. I doubt real world soldiers stop to look at their feet or chests in the middle of a combat situation.

Comment

Yes, I agree lol. Like I said though i'm thinking very realistic.

Comment

I was able to add the player's model to first person view back in UT2k4 reasonably easy as a test, while still keeping the first person weapon model (and hands in the case of my YARM mod) visible.

The trick was to:
                1. Adjust the FP camera code to add a "swan neck" (e.g. when you look down the position of the camera moved forward and down a little bit as if your body was leaning forward as a function of the pitch angle)
                2. Have the player model visible (in UT2k4 you just set the 'bOwnerNoSee' variable to false) and set bone scale for the upper spine joint to '0.0' (essentially hiding the upper half of the player's model body, arms, head from the the FP view to prevent model clipping).
                3. Ensure that that the animations did not shift the upper torso too far from the center of the collision cylinder, otherwise it would show up in view (you would then need to make the FP camera location code a little bit more complicated).
                Last edited by meowcatbuf; 02-01-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't it be Deta!lZ?

I'd like full 1st person body and ability to look around with head independently of weapon and arms.

Comment

Nice video - only that shockrifle appears abit instable
                    for me - like once throwed down it breaked like glass.
                    GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

most of all it looks unplayable lol. The effects are pretty and all, but gameplay > effects & art
                      RASTE IN PEACE !
                      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Haha, I like it. A personal tag. I should consider doing that to the corresponding characters , thank you!

So i'm not alone...

I personally don't think that seeing your legs/feet in the game won't be distracting at all.
                        Last edited by Sh!eldZ; 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Well... many people hide weapons despite they never are in center of the screen...
                          Unofficial Enforcer Model
                          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                            Well... many people hide weapons despite they never are in center of the screen...
                            Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I feel like being able to see your body in first person will appeal to a lot of people, but the easy solution to it potentially being distracting is as simple as including a toggle option.

Comment

I think such weapon movement, especially looking down the sights looks really nice, and can work really good in single player game, it would really immerse me into the game but it is not usable for UT at all, those are some frag hungry gamers that turn of any effects or anything to get better score

Comment

Working...
                              X