Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xan should have a story behind him... as well as the others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xan should have a story behind him... as well as the others.

Xan is one of the major symbols of the Unreal Tournament games and I think that his story should be dug into. When you read his bio on the other games that he's in, there's not much to say and it's kind of disappointing because he's such an infamous character. Here's what his bio should include...(used the Unreal Wiki for help)

Xan Kriegor, or that's what others call him, was created in a robot factory on the asteroid LBX-7683 in the Erican Cluster, where he functioned as a mining robot built by the Liandri Mining Corporation. In 2283, Xan led the LBX-7683 Robot Uprising in which several robots turned against the humans on the asteroid prompting the Liandri to send in a tactical squad to silence the rebellion. In the midst of the rebellion, Xan was captured by Liandri with the intentions of using him for their own purposes. Miraculously, Xan was able to resist several memory wipes during the renewal process but eventually he was reprogrammed to be a puppet for the Liandri Corporation. He was later entered into illegal underground Tournaments which later grew into the legally-sanctioned Liandri Grand Tournament.
    After the Tournament was established, Xan then became the leader of The Corrupt, a Liandri-sponsored team which reigned to the top of the latter for two Tournaments; things were looking good for Liandri as they received a fortune off of Xan as well as widespread fame across the other worlds for the new sport that they've created. As the years passed and the Tournament became the biggest sport in history, many fans speculated that Xan was in fact Jerl Liandri, the founder of the Liandri Corporation wearing power armour, which can be believed due to the public's lack of knowledge of the LBX-7683 Robot Uprising incident. After being regarded as an invincible figure for years, Xan was finally defeated in the game changing year of 2293 by a human named Malcolm of the Thundercrash team. Within the following year, Liandri hosted another Tournament bringing back an upgraded Xan which by this time was known as Xan Mark II but proved to be unsuccessful in taking back the title of Tournament Champion from Malcolm. Liandri pulled Xan again for a complete reboot which he didn't participate for a number of years up until the Tournament of 2303; Xan's return was acclaimed by the viewers and his peers welcomed the return of the once unstoppable champion of the arena.
    Equipped with the Xan Mark III armor variant, victory seemed pretty obtainable and in the end, he still wasn't able to become champion but he was a finalist. Ever since that loss, Xan the cyborg has been absent and has been replaced by his successor Devastator. Jerl Liandri was amazed that even after the investment that was put into building Xan Mark III to become the best warrior, failed yet again. Angered but tempted to release a Xan Mark IV, Jerl immediately retired that idea and decided to build a power suit for himself so that he could win back the title under the same alias as his retired puppet. Will he become champion and regain his robot counterpart's former title?

Halo has their cybernetic hero with lots of data behind him, why not have a good story for the Unreal's cybernetic champion?

All of the characters should have a story to them really, even if it's not as long as this one. It would give each individual something that would make them different from the others and I think that it would be interesting to read. Although I understand the short descriptions; after all, there is like 64+ bots but the game apparently is going to take a long time to make, why not be a little creative with the characters?

Yes, I did but I added a little bit to my summary in the end by stating that Jerl will now fill Xan's boots as a new competitor in the new tournament. I would think that fans of the franchise wouldn't really want to research a certain character like I have just to find out what they're about. Making up things like these could plunge a player into a characters own personal world away from Unreal while still remaining attached to Unreal. It would be nice and it would give the game more structure.
    Last edited by Sh!eldZ; 01-29-2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Xan is my fav skin to use im all for epic making up a story

Ps and some bad *** taunts
      Join the community Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Xan is great, I want to draw my own model of him in hopes that a UT official will see it. He's definitely a favorite.

Oh my goodness yes! The taunts used in UT99 for some reason are my favorite, even though most of the taunts have progressed from game to game. What I mean by this is, in UT99 the characters seem to have emotion when they taunt someone and at times, I believed that they where real online players because of how much emotion the taunts had in them in that particular game; the other games lacked emotion to me.

Comment

This is the best one ive seen so far on here
          Attached Files
          Join the community Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

That's pretty sexy. It's actually close to what i'm thinking of when I actually compare it to my idea I mine gets over looked, I'd vote for this one to be included.

When I draw mine, I will be taking inspiration from Lex Luther's suit in MK vs. DC and UT99 and adding them together; I hope that would be okay...

Mine would be less robot like, I think.
            Last edited by Sh!eldZ; 01-29-2015, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Xan does have a story. The entire point of his character is to be an all-powerful, near-perfect antagonist for the player. He fulfills that role quite nicely simply through giving hints and rumors of him through various elements of the game.

What you're talking about is weighing this character down with baggage. This isn't a singleplayer game with cutscenes and tons of voice acting and time for exposition. When you frag him, he isn't going to leave behind a scrap of his personal diary for you to sit back and read his trials and tribulations. The game needs to quickly and clearly communicate the archetype of a cold, emotionless and implacable antagonist. Someone who has never been defeated, who is the last obstacle between the player and claiming an undisputed title as champion.
              Going into detail about Xan's childhood abuse, or his heroic attempts to overcome his hardships to become the most feared and respected opponent ever in the tournament does not help communicate that. In fact, it hinders it because you are stripping away the archetypal nature of his presence in the story.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Sh!eldZ View Post
                Halo has their cybernetic hero with lots of data behind him, why not have a good story for the Unreal's cybernetic champion?
                halo is $#!7... ut is not halo...

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  Xan does have a story. The entire point of his character is to be an all-powerful, near-perfect antagonist for the player. He fulfills that role quite nicely simply through giving hints and rumors of him through various elements of the game.

What you're talking about is weighing this character down with baggage. This isn't a singleplayer game with cutscenes and tons of voice acting and time for exposition. When you frag him, he isn't going to leave behind a scrap of his personal diary for you to sit back and read his trials and tribulations. The game needs to quickly and clearly communicate the archetype of a cold, emotionless and implacable antagonist. Someone who has never been defeated, who is the last obstacle between the player and claiming an undisputed title as champion.
                  Going into detail about Xan's childhood abuse, or his heroic attempts to overcome his hardships to become the most feared and respected opponent ever in the tournament does not help communicate that. In fact, it hinders it because you are stripping away the archetypal nature of his presence in the story.
                  +1. I felt Xan lost a lot of the mystique surrounding him from UT to UT200X. UT had the right idea only leaving hints here and there in a few bios. His voice and death sounds also avoided being confirmatory.

As far as that is concerned, I'd also like to see some Xan art concepts that are equally vague as to whether he is human/robot/combination. It can have robotic elements but still look like you could fit a human (or what is left of one) in there. The UT2004 model, for example, is easily a robot; especially since no human could fit in that waist. The UT one on the other hand, could go either way (which is why it worked).
                  Last edited by HitscanGaem; 01-30-2015, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post

I got you, thank you for being cut and dry. I have never really payed attention to the hints then. I guess I just thought that he wasn't as huge in the Unreal universe as I thought he was, even though he truly is. I felt as if he was almost a ghost when it came to what he was, his beginnings, his reign and such so I thought that a bio would be nice so fans can see that he's more than just a cold cyborg, rather than a character that has had past experiences before the tournament was created just like the others; I just like a story is all but that's for the role playing games and i'm not all about those.

Comment

Originally posted by OLIAX View Post
                      halo is $#!7... ut is not halo...
                      Halo isn't poo and I never said that Halo was Unreal. I was simply trying to raise the fact that Xan is just as infamous in the UT universe as Master Chief is to the Halo universe and he deserves a story. Wail (I think) stated that his story is of a different kind, one that is not so noticeable as The Chief's.
                      Last edited by Sh!eldZ; 02-03-2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post

This is the best one ive seen so far on here
                        very good except for 2004 head has the most intimidating look

Comment

Originally posted by Sh!eldZ View Post
                          I felt as if he was almost a ghost when it came to what he was
                          And THIS exactly made this character so great and awesome... Xan is the cool antagonist without a history carved in stone ...it's all rumours and superficial knowledge. People always fear what is unknown.
                          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I think the only thing that should be known for sure about Xan is that he is a robot, like it was originally confirmed in 2k4. I dont really like the idea that he might just happen to be Jerl Liandri to be honest. I like envisioning Jerl Liandri as being someone else entirely to be honest, someone who pulls more strings behind the scenes rather than up front and center. I wouldnt mind if Xan's identity was just simply kept simply a mystery though, so long as he isnt actually Jerl.

I do think, however, that generally characters in UT, and in the Unreal universe in general do need more character and personality behind them though. Its odd when every character in the game just feels like a skin with a voice pack applied to it, which is why i think we should strive to make as many characters as possible in this UT to be more unique than just simply a skin with a voice pack applied to them. Id like to see backstories explored in their bios, and optimally unique voices for each character that could be considered a leading member of their team, an especially unique character within the tournament, or an iconic character within the Unreal Tournament series itself, with the more generic voice packs being applied to less important characters, and even then with faction specific vocal sets tied to them, and maybe even the ability to shift the pitch of the vocal set you are using. Ultimately, I'd like to see the lore and relationships (such as rivalries and dynamics between teammates) explored more from an aesthetic standpoint in this Unreal Tournament. Even if it isn't what the game needs at its core, it would still be a very nice thing to have to make the game's universe feel more intriguing and fleshed out as time goes by.

Basically: I personally do feel characters in Unreal Tournament need more actual character put into them, but Xan's history in particular doesn't need to be entirely set in stone.
                            Last edited by MacD11; 12-03-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X