Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xan should have a story behind him... as well as the others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
    I think the only thing that should be known for sure about Xan is that he is a robot, like it was originally confirmed in 2k4...
    YMMV but this was one of the single biggest story face palm moments in the history of the series. It's worse than FLaGs from UT3, honestly. Shows really explicitly how quickly the train went off the rails on this series when it comes to consistent world and character development.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
      YMMV but this was one of the single biggest story face palm moments in the history of the series. It's worse than FLaGs from UT3, honestly. Shows really explicitly how quickly the train went off the rails on this series when it comes to consistent world and character development.
      I thought more about it over night and there are some issues with it yeah, but ultimately I feel it still isnt a huge deal. Even if Xan was, physically, a robot, this game is still set in the future. It could easily be the case that he could have some powerful gladiator's consciousness and thoughts carried inside of him, or he could just simply be a robot himself. The mystery as to what exactly his origins are could be kept even with going with the robot angle.

Comment

The mystery IS the fearful charisma of his character. If he is a robot, then he is just a robot. Robots have flaws and can be defeated. Being unsure makes him more than just a human or robot.

Let me illustrate it this way; I was playing the new Metal Gear Solid 5, and your character (Snake) in the game has suffered past trauma and has visible scars and deformations. When you sneak around enemy bases, you sometimes hear the enemy npc's talking about rumors regarding a "demon soldier", and that you have horns and can disappear at will. These rumors are loosely based on the appearance and abilities of Snake. Hearing this talk about your character, sometimes even from your allies in game, helps give you an aura that you are more than just a skilled soldier. It also makes Snake more feared among his enemies. This is the type of projection that Xan should give to the player-we have ideas of what he/she/it is, and most of the rumors are likely false, but not knowing for certain creates the mystique.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post

This is the best one ive seen so far on here
          Nah, this one is my fav, cold and intimidating :
          Originally posted by Shraznar View Post
          Thanks for the feedback!

@Unreal Galdiator/Maask: I know how it can be a problem, something getting caught in the spoiler would be bad. Even UT2004's Xan has a functional gap in it, but it looks so cool this way.

update on the previous post, half his body drawn with/without armor. and a more slick head, this one can have a gapped wing. Also that palte behind his neck can be offed, looking up would be a problem.

xan

Comment

Is there any word on what point in the Unreal timeline, and in what Unreal timeline in specific, that UT4 is supposed to take place?

This is from an in-universe continuity point of view more than an out-of-universe character design one, but I've always read the changes to Xan's character between UT99 and UT04 as being something of a cash grab on Liandri's part-- like the LBX7683 thing, say, not being an -addition- to the story so much as something Liandri kept mum about until they stood to gain something (a new arena, more hype around Xan's return from retirement) from going public about such a huge screw-up on their part, enough to offset the cost of dismantling parts of Xan's 'mystery'. By this point, they had more champions (Malcolm, and possibly Lauren and Gorge depending on how you look at the timeline) with arguably more interesting public image, so the marketing loss is diffused. I also like the idea of it being extremely ambiguous whether it even actually happened or was made up for said cash grab. (Conspiracy theories are just *fun*.)

Obviously, that's just how -I- resolved and built around the contradictions for my own entertainment-- and it's not the only way they could be resolved (my thoughts barely involve Jerl Liandri at all, for example), and they -are- contradictions, and they don't read as self-aware contradictions, and that's always frustrating.

So, unless Epic's writers want to dismantle the timeline completely (or keep it ambiguous and contradictory by design), it seems very relevant what point in the tournament timeline UT4 is at -- UT99-and-earlier maybe-the-CEO who-knows-you'll-die-anyway archgladiator, or UT2004-and-later still-kinda-scary-but-in-a-different-way disgraced-robot-rights-activist hermit?

UC2, albeit leaning around the main storyline, was my favorite entry in the series in this respect-- just enough background and inter-character history to keep things interesting, but also vague enough to keep a lot ambiguous and leave vacant room, especially in a sport that's supposed to be the biggest and by extension most expansive deal in the galaxy.

At any rate, it depends on how much Epic wants to think about this stuff, which I'm unclear on. I love Unreal's ambiguous self-contradictory space cyberpunk dystopia schtick, in no small part because of how much wild (...dare I say unreal) stuff you can force to fit in it, but it's not exactly been its crowning achievement, historically. (I do not think this is a good excuse to continue not developing it, but I'm biased. I do think it is something to do carefully, though-- as mentioned above, another FLaG situation is...best avoided.)

Comment

UT4 is considered a reboot so we aren't tied to any specific lore, although we will definitely pick cool stuff from past games to incorporate into the updated fiction.
              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                UT4 is considered a reboot so we aren't tied to any specific lore, although we will definitely pick cool stuff from past games to incorporate into the updated fiction.
                This is honestly the most exciting thing I've read here in a long time.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                  Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  This is honestly the most exciting thing I've read here in a long time.
                  Yes!!! ...A reboot, so we can make it great without restricting ourself to previous games.
                  Let's make Xan awesome and a legend again!!
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Yup. Ambiguity was what made UT'99 Xan great and what UT2k4 Xan was a bit lacking. UT'99 gave a ton of hinting about Liandri corporation, Jerl Liandri himself, Xan and other corporations wanting to kill Xan for some reason. Then in the end of the game you get Xans description putting it all together by saying that some people think Xan Kriegor is Jerl Liandri and showing that Xan has bloody gibs after being killed (this was probably because there were no robo gibs, but this actaully worked perfectly). It was designed to give explaination by the end of the game. UT2k4 Xan had no identity mystery behind him. He was badass, but he wasn't central figure anymore. Mystery was no longer required.

What i think UT4 should try to achieve is UT'99 path without giving clear answers by the end of single player campaign. UT is now ongoing universe after all. Hinting in level descriptions, affiliated team descriptions (like Metal Guard or The Corrupt) and certain character. Giving some red herring with theory that Xan is leader of robot uprising (while this is unknown to the public, we can say that this theory was prepared by Liadri corporation, to mislead intelligence of other corporations and prevent assassination attempts during tournament finals). Then Xan would give robot gibs (so is he a robot?) but give bloody gibs after headshot which would be hard to notice, making finding the truth hard but possible for those who will look for it. And why Jerl participate in Tournament? Is it really weird for someone owning a garage full of supercars (DM-StalwartXL)? You can also maybe **** him off a bit and make him show a bit of emotions if you beat the **** out of him during final match? Those are just some ideas you can use if you want to choose the path of high mystery + lots of subtle hinting which is harder to do with just a robot. And this is great reward for people who are willing to watch it closely.

The point is. This character gives possibility of pulling off a lot of cool stuff and making him just mean robot is wasting this opportunity.
                    Unofficial Enforcer Model
                    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
                    X