Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well to be fair there are things that are MUCH harder to change later on which makes you cut corners. Things like the gamespeed in UT3. That's not to say they can't be changed later on but you end up scrapping a lot of work in order to make those changes. I think Circuit is currently sitting on the verge of being chopped due to changes that have been made since the map was created and I'm sure it won't be the last thing.

The real challenge is that with community art contributions it's hard to chop things that are accepted in to the game so that is going to be something hard to cope with later on if massive changes are made to core systems.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I don't think the UT3 comparison is fair. That was a boxed multiplatform product with an extremely small team and short dev cycle (a little over a year). Even though I was a developer on the UT3 team I wasn't directly involved with the gameplay and programming so I don't think I have any right to comment on the difficult decisions they had to make.

UT4 is an even smaller dev team and to make things more challenging we are collaborating with the community. Many of the community have not shipped games before and therefore don't understand the process. It took me at least 3 shipped games before I started to fully grasp the process. I've shipped many more and still learn something new every single day. With that said, UT4 is a single platform game and a living product. So as challenging as it may be we only have to worry about one platform and we have time to make it right.

Stuff gets scrapped all the time in video game development. No matter how experienced the team is, no matter how clear the vision is. Whether you are starting a new IP or making a sequel. That is the harsh reality of video game development. If you can't cope with that reality then video game development might not be right for you. We will do the best we can and make the best decisions we can so that as little as possible is wasted.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "massive changes to core systems" but if you are referring to player scale/speed skeletons and sockets can be easily scaled in UE4. All we need for now is a shared standard to create content, that content can be refined endlessly on the code side as long as things are consistent going in.

People want "best idea wins". The problem is if you make that the golden rule then all people do is sit around and talk, arguing about what the best idea is. Analysis paralysis. My favorite way to develop games is "best idea that gets implemented first wins". If a better idea comes along and all other ideas have been implemented then replace the currently weakest idea. Keep things moving forward, keep the momentum. Again, IMHO, not Epic official.
      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Thanks for the update on the sockets, that will help the process lots
        UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
        ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
          I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "massive changes to core systems" but if you are referring to player scale/speed skeletons and sockets can be easily scaled in UE4. All we need for now is a shared standard to create content, that content can be refined endlessly on the code side as long as things are consistent going in.
          I just mean it's hard to, for example, make maps that work well with the movement if you come in later and add dodge jump and increase the speed by 40%. It's not just a scale issue. I would assume the same thing is true if you make large changes to character size/skeleton layout/etc. Not that it can't be dealt with but it's not like click the scale by 2 times button
          People want "best idea wins". The problem is if you make that the golden rule then all people do is sit around and talk, arguing about what the best idea is. Analysis paralysis. My favorite way to develop games is "best idea that gets implemented first wins". If a better idea comes along and all other ideas have been implemented then replace the currently weakest idea. Keep things moving forward, keep the momentum. Again, IMHO, not Epic official.
          I can't agree more with this. I do like to hash out details and fortunately the people doing modeling (including you) are happy to take feedback and try to incorporate workable solutions into the content. That makes it much easier for the best idea to shine through and I think that's exactly what ended up happening with the Shock and Flak. But I don't think that means if someone came up with the "perfect" shock that it wouldn't have a chance to be the default Shock in the game at any point in the process despite that I am quite happy with and love the design of the current Shock rifle
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

well, humm.. static mesh's be imho high most likely , every the same, if build up Buildings, Bases, Spaceship's ,
            i think, this have an Basic standard and have consisted ..... in the future .. like it is now.. because the building up
            maps and landscapes and something ..

or YemYam ?

... because, first mus exist an World for filling it up with things.. Tibal Blast
            so, why should makes not an sense to build up static things,
            changing effects and others can later also, like i think..
            like water, paricels ..

but plant's should work.. if building up plants with leaf's and wood ..

would be interested in me if I'm right ..

best regards
            Blacky

but the "offizially" like you think love i am too *lol* *thumps up*
            i hate the , like others try to bring"the offizially " in play and try therewith to make it so like they selfish it want.. gnhh...
            in the "offizially" do i see , why they are really want something why it..
            and if you say.. not exist an "official" well, i think i have right ..
            Last edited by Blackcrack; 04-14-2015, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Is it possible to get a progress update on the master shaders for characters?
              I just want to be able to make the item have a matching shader to the character.
              Guess I'll just have to wait until the setup is finalized.
              Last edited by danpaz3d; 04-19-2015, 04:00 AM.
              3d Artist
              UT Cosmetic Items |
              UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

I'd like to contribute.
                Right now specifically, I'd like to do some necris face paint variations.
                Can someone supply me/PM me a bust template with the appropriate texture maps or something?
                3D Artist looking for work.
                https://38.media.tumblr.com/d8bd791d...vl6o1_1280.jpg

Comment

CognizanCe:
                  Download the UT editor from the epic games launcher
                  Open the editor
                  Search the content browser for "Necris"

Select the content you want (Shift click = multi select just like windows)

Right click and go to asset options (I think.. doing this from memory)
                  Select Export

Textures will export as TGA's or PNGS,
                  Models will export as FBX.

Have fun.

Comment

Thanks Vailias.
                    Downloaded today. Will see what I can export tomorrow.

EDIT:
                    I got the .fbx meshes, but it seems all the textures are locked as ".uasset" files.
                    I could not figure out how to export/convert them.
                    Guess I gotta do some baking to recreate those maps....

EDIT EDIT:
                    The High poly mesh is not in the same location as the low poly.
                    Guess I'm gonna be doing some retopology.....
                    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 08-22-2015, 01:55 PM.
                    3D Artist looking for work.
                    https://38.media.tumblr.com/d8bd791d...vl6o1_1280.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X