Gooba Inspired Iron Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Gooba Inspired Iron Guard

I fell in love with Gooba's rendition of Lauren, decided to take a stab at a new Iron Guard character in the same vein. I really like games that offer a wide range of body types, but I find that there is generally less diversity in the female model department. Which is a pity! Sometimes I don't want to play as a lithe young thing, no matter how battle-hardened. Sometimes I want to play as a badass bruiser of a lady, one who looks like she hip-checks like a tank!

[EDIT - Most recent iteration: trying out some cybernetics!]

[Sisters-at-arms!]

[Initial mockup]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tortoiseandcrow; 03-12-2015, 07:33 PM.

I like this idea, but i think you gone a bit too far. She looks obese.
    Unofficial Enforcer Model
    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

The shape and placement of the padding/armour will be tweaked, but I'd definitely say that there is nothing wrong with some child-bearin' hips and a bit of a belly. That's what body diversity means.

Attached Files

Comment

I actually don't think this is a bad idea man :-). I do think you may have to tweak some proportions though. Basically, I think the biggest challenge would be to match the overall model to be within the generic player hitbox. This is usually the major hurdle to overcome especially in this game where all players have to fit within a certain hit geometry.
        Keep it up. ^_^
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

This doesn't look like it's realistic proportions for anyone who is consistently engaging in athletic activity, much less a top tier competitor in the tournament.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Thanks jayo! I hope that the developers take note and allow some space for size/shape variation of models within the female hitboxes, rather than adopting a waifishly thin one.

To anyone who does not believe that top-tier athletics cannot accommodate a diverse range of body types, shapes, and weights: Google image search - "Olympic Women's Shot Put"

If the male character models get to have a few tank-like physiques among their number, so do the ladies.
            Last edited by tortoiseandcrow; 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Using the fruits sort of guide on different body shapes would not go over well in a scenario like UT where it's very demanding, athletic and requires muscles. This character looks like someone who is a civilian and just tryin out for the tournament, promptly to get slaughtered by actual UT contenders, people who trained to be in it.

In comparison to your reference on the olympic sport is honestly very bad because they only need upper body strength to toss the shot. While in UT it would need alot more like full body builds when every aspect is demanding, always running around, climbing, shooting, ect. Yet besides pictures, the first video footage I saw had more of a full-build instead of a civilian "pear" exaggeration that you did.

You're not going to find as many different body types in UT as your chart for the same reason you wouldn't find that in sports. It's not believable.
              Last edited by FirebornForm; 03-09-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tortoiseandcrow View Post
                Thanks jayo! I hope that the developers take note and allow some space for size/shape variation of models within the female hitboxes, rather than adopting a waifishly thin one.

To anyone who does not believe that top-tier athletics cannot accommodate a diverse range of body types, shapes, and weights: Google image search - "Olympic Women's Shot Put"

If the male character models get to have a few tank-like physiques among their number, so do the ladies.
                While the idea of incorporating different body shapes is fine, you're just not going to find a top tier athlete who is engaging in an activity that requires constant running and athletic behavior carrying around 50+ extra pounds of body fat on her frame like that. Something like Sarena Williams is much more suitable model for a competent female tournament competitor: Well muscled but very little extra weight.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Okay, firstly: there's this thing about women's hips, where there is a pretty significant variation in the physical width of the hip-bones. No matter how much weight one loses, some women with wider hip-bones will always maintain a 'pear' shape. This is particularly the case after childbirth. The notion of there being a 'civilian' shape, particularly with regard to hip-bone structure, is ridiculous. It is not unreasonable nor implausible to imagine a wide-set woman in high-intensity athletic situations. My mother in law does two triathlons a year and is in phenomenal shape, yet her hips are very wide-set and she has large thighs. Proportionality is not a function of weight.

Secondly: when it comes to character design, I am far more invested in models with character than models that follow strict 'realism' as it pertains to the utterly imaginary scenario that they are designed for. When I think of this fantasy scenario of a future space blood sport with implausibly enormous weapons, I imagine what interesting people or creatures might populate that world. The utterly generic muscular physique of Mr. Space Marine or his female equivalent, Ms. Mr. Space Marine, marching freshly cast from the die along with their other indistinguishable brethren, is less interesting to me than other possible figures. The people who sign up for Unreal Tournament? I bet they'd be real characters for sure. No need for lengthy biographies, just give me people whose bodies tell a story. I'd love for Malcolm to be sagging a bit around the middle as he ages, looking old and weary after all these years. I want to meet the woman who he'd back down from in an argument, with a meek little "yes ma'am" - and you best believe she wouldn't be some thin little thing. I want someone short, stocky, and severely cranky looking. I want some skinny kid who looks like he'd crumple under a single punch but somehow manages to get by on wit alone. And yes, I want a lady who may have a few pounds extra on her, but who has enough attitude on her to beat the living tar out of any of the other competitors for sassing her. These people are so much more interesting than Mr. Space Marine! Realism be damned - character is what charms me.

This may not reflect your priorities for the game, but it may be worth reflecting on the fact that an appeal to 'realism' is ridiculous in a fantasy universe where men with easily 250lb of muscle can wall-jump repeatedly (in full armour no less), and three-barrelled hand held rocket launchers are a good and sane design decision, and does not constitute a good reason to argue against the diverse depiction of female bodies. I am all for the game feeling real, but that is not the same as realism. What it means instead is that the game operates within its own, internally consistent rules of logic. If you are arguing that those rules of logic include one that stipulates "no fatties" by the broadest possible definition, I want no part of it.

Comment

Glazed over your rant. Go take a look at early Epic streams and you'll see the direction they want to go in is "Christopher Nolan like" lean and mean, athletic and fit. You don't have to agree with it but that's the direction the art director wanted to pursue. None of the characters look like tanks right now. If you haven't noticed the Malcom we played with for a while was just UT3 placeholders and there's a new thin leaner Malcom now, so your character is even more out of place.

Your character concept has good personality but thematically it's off. Take the feedback without going into a essay tangential rant. Unreal is actually grounded in a lot of realism and theming, the original was more of a futuristic gladiator look but that's not the case in UT4.

Comment

Originally posted by tortoiseandcrow View Post
                      ... I want someone short, stocky, and severely cranky looking. I want some skinny kid who looks like he'd crumple under a single punch but somehow manages to get by on wit alone. And yes, I want a lady who may have a few pounds extra on her, but who has enough attitude on her to beat the living tar out of any of the other competitors for sassing her. These people are so much more interesting than Mr. Space Marine! Realism be damned - character is what charms me....
                      We're obviously coming into this discussion with some different priorities, so it's probably not worth really quibbling when our objectives are not aligned here. I'd much rather have characters that fit a consistent and more-or-less believable representation of the game's future-reality than a game that attempts to entirely subvert innate expectations of what bodies are capable of. Having some wacky stuff is fine but not really what I want in the core game.

Comment

The function of my response is to argue that not only is there space within a fantasy universe, whether futuristic gladiator or "Christopher Nolan like", to accommodate physical diversity, but that it is more interesting to include it. An aesthetic can be lean and streamlined, but that doesn't necessarily mean the human bodies that occupy it have to be. Badassery comes in many flavours, and body fat or hip size =/= theme.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't believe a large set person can be athletic should go look up Sammo Hung fight scenes from the late 70s and 80s on youtube.

Comment

I love how you assume its all fat.
                            Look at this page http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4297902.html

Every single one of those women is a top tier athlete, so why do we get stuck with only the swimmer body type for every single action game ever?
                            Moreover if we're suddenly worried about realistic physiques what's with the unsupported giant breasts on every previous female character? Ever see a female sprinter who doesn't clamp her bust down with multiple sports bras?

You can have taste in what you like to look at, but don't pretend its because of some universal physical rule.

As for the art direction, it was clean, and less busy and bulky ala the gears or wh40k looks. You can have body diversity while still maintaining a clean design aesthetic.

Comment

so why do we get stuck with only the swimmer body type for every single action game ever?
                              It's mostly due to hitboxes. Fat characters have disjointed hitboxes which can be frustrating to players trying to play at a higher level.

I think bulky characters are awesome and definitely have their place in this game, just like the Nali warcow, but they don't really belong in the competitive scene because of the disjointed hitboxes.

The photo of all the athletes kinda hurts your argument I think Vailias, since if you look at say, just gymnasts... every gymnasts physique looks very similar. UT would be a sport that requires agility, strength and speed. Every participant should reflect that, otherwise it feels "Off". More like a joke character.

Having a weightlifter participate in the tournament, is like having a weightlifter do gymnastics or the highjump. It wouldn't go so well.

So for me, yes to bulky characters, no to anything more. I think there is only so far you can push it without looking too unbelievable.

I should note that I am only concerned with the official game in this regard. I would love to have all kinds of crazy characters, but in way that doesn't conflict with the competitive aspect of the game.
                              Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X