[FAN ART] Unreal Championship 2 Xan Mk IV w/ Flak Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FAN ART] Unreal Championship 2 Xan Mk IV w/ Flak Cannon

Hello all! The first game I worked on when I joined Epic was Unreal Championship 2. It was originally going to be the first game to use UE3 with normal mapping and I was hired to do the hi poly modeling for weapons and characters. However, the tech wasn't quite ready yet so it ended up being a UE2.x title exclusive to the Xbox and my hi poly was no longer needed for the game. The change was made fairly early in the development but I loved the concepts so much I kept modeling hi poly stuff in my free time. Here is the concepts that Anthony Pereira did for Xan and the Flak Cannon.

Here is the model I started back in 2004. I recently decided to noodle on it a little more and finally call it done over 10 years later hahahaha! Anyway, just something I did for fun as fan art so thought I would share! NOTE: Xan is NOT in UE4, this is just a hi poly render I did in Keyshot and then composited on top of Outpost 23 screen grabs that I took. Since it's not going in the game I didn't want to spend the painful time doing the low, unwrap, & process.

Attached Files
    Last edited by YemYam; 03-19-2015, 09:40 AM.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

This is super awesome. Thanks for sharing ^_^.
    Man, UE4 does make awesome things shine even more awesomely? :-)
    That is a very nice looking Flak cannon, too. I expect to see that in the Marketplace.

cheers man, please share more ^_^
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

That's actually Keyshot renders composited on top of Outpost 23 screen caps. Since it isn't for the game and just for fun I didn't want to spend the time doing the low poly, unwrap, & process (the MOST unfun part of making games). :P

However, I might take the Flak Cannon all the way through the pipeline someday and offer it free on the marketplace, just don't have the time right now.

Glad you dig it!
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Hah, well, my bad ^_^
        I don't know why I automatically assumed this was the textured LP :-). That said, I think this holds up really well for a 10yr old piece. I can barely look at the stuff I did 10yrs ago, hah.
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

As a mecha geek, I really love the design, although I'd prefer it to have legs and no high "collar" in front. Also The lower chest parts look better on the sketch. Those glowing parts that the render has there somehow feel off.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Yea, I agree, there are definitely parts I flubbed and didn't do the concept justice. I thought about spending more time on it but decided to put a nail in it and call it done since it was just for fun. I'd rather focus on modeling stuff that will actually get in the game now.

Comment

Love the Flak.

But Xan... I'm not into that kind of body type at all... torso is almost larger than his height.
              Helmet is cool then.

Comment

Hey YemYam, I loved the UC2 Flak (and especially the UC2 Rocket Launcher!) and the Xan concept, although I would have preferred legs if you know what I mean. Looks a bit weird floating like that, but then again, just sticking to the concept.
                It's pretty awesome that you're putting pics of these on the forums, so thanks a bunch for that! Would be cool to have some of the UC2 assets on the marketplace *hint hint*.

I never saw the concept of the non-revised gun, quite interesting with the edgier look!
                S l y .

Comment

YemYam

I hope that this Flak will in the game. Since i long wanted to see version of Flak with realistic weapons firing.

Comment

Yea, the legless concept was funky. That's why it never made it into UC2 - even in low poly form. Every single person said it needed legs, even back in the day everybody complained about it. I guess I felt sorry for him and obligated to bring him to life in his original legless form. He looks weird but I think that's why I liked the concept so much, it caught you off guard and made you look a little closer.

We are currently roughing in ideas for the new UT4 bots and obviously they will have to have legs and fit the proportions of the master skeletal rig. My biggest goal with the bots is to ensure they look like robots and not people in armor suits. It's a little challenging since we have to adhere to human proportions but I think we can come up with something cool!

Comment

I think the "looks like a suit" look of the bots can be quite charming too, it all depends on how it is executed. If you show some thick cables/wires and a lack of face, it can very well still look like a bot, even if on second glance and I think that this is something that might be catching people off-guard too when they get closer and realize "wait, this is a pure robot!?", but that's just my thoughts on it. Variety is always nice so I hope that whatever it will be decided as a new bot style, the other options will be available as a marketplace.

So, any thoughts of making a low poly mesh of that Flak, baking some normal maps and slamming this into the marketplace sometime in the future, YemYam? If yes I would suggest to slightly change the colour to the more orange yellow, currently it seems to have a small tint of green in its paint.
                      S l y .

Comment

Of course we will have tons of variety with the bots. Last I recall there were 3 different bot factions and they could all have a unique style.

As far as weapons first up I'm going to finish the UC2 Ripjack and give it to Wail for his ripper prototype. I may finish the Flak and give that away but that is low priority. The green in the paint is probably the Keyshot render bouncing all of that Xan paint.

These are the only other UC2 hi poly models I have laying around. Again, these are all 10+ years old so would definitely need some clean up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam...7605739328119/

Comment

Cool!

I really like the angled panels and the huge 'heavy mech' theme it has going on. It does somewhat remind me of Power Rangers and Transformers, but I think it's the huge shoulder and back pieces that are throwing it off, kind of a retro style.

I think the best thing is the side head sketch in the first image, something I've been thinking towards as well.
                          A lot of it's features could work well with the new Xan.
                          3d Artist
                          UT Cosmetic Items |
                          UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Oh neat, the RipJack!
                            I considered it the perfect mix between the Ripper from UT and RazorJack from Unreal, it would be great to see it in for Wail's Ripper, even if just as a placeholder!

I see what you mean about the paint. Nasty bouncelights and reflections! Haha!
                            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                              That headpiece looks menacing from the side.. I would suggest you literally copy paste it into a slimmer, more edgy, robot body - and that would make a helluva model!
                              > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                              > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                              > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Working...
                              X