This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
    I don't understand what entropy wants, we already have a thread with skjaar from last year and it hasn't been modeled yet at all, and alot of other good concepts from last year also you just need to find them!

Please make a character from each "species" male and female, then you can focus on cosmetic stuff and variations of characters...
    Actually there is a Skaarj model made by Epic. But you can only see it using the Git-Version of the Editor/Game. It still lacks textures though.
    There is also a nearly finished model of a female Necris.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
      Im abit upset about the shown characters
      - where are the cool and weird spaceguys?
      game is under development and Epic has like one guy doing models. Be patient

Comment

Originally posted by Danielito View Post
        Actually there is a Skaarj model made by Epic. But you can only see it using the Git-Version of the Editor/Game. It still lacks textures though.
        There is also a nearly finished model of a female Necris.
        Well no surprise there. Progress/feedback not even posted in the Skaarj thread either. The character sub-forum is rather lacking to be honest, compared to the weapons sub-forum. People doing character concepts out there and then suddenly a character is already modelled behind the scenes and released. Imagine if the weapons went through the same treatment, that is just modelled behind the scenes, progress not posted anywhere, and then suddenly released. People would be fuming.
        Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM.
        Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
          Well no surprise there. Progress/feedback not even posted in the Skaarj thread either. The character sub-forum is rather lacking to be honest, compared to the weapons sub-forum. People doing character concepts out there and then suddenly a character is already modelled behind the scenes and released. Imagine if the weapons went through the same treatment, that is just modelled behind the scenes, progress not posted anywhere, and then suddenly released. People would be fuming.
          The feedback on the character sub-forum has been lax for sure, but I think it's important to remember that the team working on UT at Epic are spread pretty thin and characters haven't been a major focus so far for quite a few reasons. For one thing the overall visual style of the game is still being 'established', there's only one finalized environment and only about half the core weapons have a visual identity. They're clearly shooting for more visual cohesion than in the older games, so it's safe to say that the character development will be a longer and more drawn out process than with the weapons or even the level design.

YemYam has been doing a superb job on the weapon forum with giving everybody feedback, I hope we see that level of input here when it comes time for a lot of character development.

Comment

Sorry about that. We'll try to get better with the character threads. The weapon pipeline is a little more straight forward since we have Pete here on site (and he's really good about taking and asking for feedback)
            while, currently, we don't have a dedicated character guy on-site. The way the weapon forum is operating is pretty much how we want each art sub-forum to operate.
            Last edited by Rick Kohler; 07-03-2015, 11:11 AM.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

The two sub-forums seemed to have a different development environment, weapons was very open, while characters was very closed. YemYam's doing a fantastic job, really motivating and inspiring for everyone. But considering there's no dedicated character artist on-site, I guess we'll just have to be patient until then.
              Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

The two sub-forums seemed to have a different development environment, weapons was very open, while characters was very closed. YemYam's doing a fantastic job, really motivating and inspiring for everyone. But considering there's no dedicated character artist on-site, I guess we'll just have to be patient until then.
                Agree, Pete's awesome.

Do you have some character concepts on the forum I can look at?
                Last edited by Rick Kohler; 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM.

Rick Kohler

Comment

Agreed, Pete does great job communicating with us in the weapon forum.
                  For me personally the biggest problem when working on non-paid projects is motivation, and seeing that your work is welcome and appreciated does help a lot. I know some people find critique discouraging, but for me the worst response is silence. When I post something and get zero feedback, I start to think: "maybe I'm not good enough for this if nobody even bothers to answer. Maybe I should move on to something else".
                  ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                    Agreed, Pete does great job communicating with us in the weapon forum.
                    For me personally the biggest problem when working on non-paid projects is motivation, and seeing that your work is welcome and appreciated does help a lot. I know some people find critique discouraging, but for me the worst response is silence. When I post something and get zero feedback, I start to think: "maybe I'm not good enough for this if nobody even bothers to answer. Maybe I should move on to something else".
                    Wasn't your work featured on the June 26th podcast? Not sure but think I remember seeing it.

It's hard for us to see everything that's posted here. You can always ping me directly to ask for feedback. But this forum is also supposed to be a bit self-sustaining. Meaning, artists posting their work and motivating each other as well as getting feedback from Epic. I do see a lot of that happening here.

Don't get discouraged, man. I know motivation can be an issue when working alone. Been there. You do good work and I look forward to seeing more of it.
                    Last edited by Rick Kohler; 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM.

Rick Kohler

Comment

Aberiu
                      Really? Even on your work can not find the answer? Your characters are perfect, much better than the official concepts Epic. And they do not respond to these feedback? I've heard that doing a remake Unreal of Tidal Blast. Maybe there will be more of your work in demand? In addition, you should try to show their development some game studios. Such super talent should not be wasted. That's for sure.

Серьёзно? Даже на твои работы может не найтись ответа? Твои персонажи идеальны, намного лучше официальных концептов Эпик. И они не отвечают на них отзывами? Я слышал, что Тидал Бласт делал ремейк Анрила. Может там твои работы буду более востребованными? К тому же тебе следует попробовать показать свои разработки каким-нибудь игровым студиям. Такой суперский талант не должен пропадать даром. Это уж точно.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                        Wasn't your work featured on the June 26th podcast?
                        I wasn't complaining, my sniper rifle is already in game. Just sharing some thoughts, because I think some people here might feel the same. Like this guy for example https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...read.php?15205
                        ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Why has no one recreated the guy with long hair holding the flag? That is the most badass looking UT character i've ever seen. Period. I would literally get a tattoo of that... and i hate tattoos

Comment

Right now I believe it's matter that we don't have many efficient (keyword) character concept artists in the community.

Not related to quality, there's some great stuff on here, but more towards iteration and speed which is key. I try my best with 'concept art', but in the time that I put together 1 idea, someone with better illustration skills can make 5 or more, at a better quality.

For now at least, it's just a matter of sticking to an idea and getting it done at a standard that you're happy with. One idea completed is better than a thousand that aren't.
                            Last edited by danpaz3d; 07-07-2015, 12:59 AM.
                            3d Artist
                            UT Cosmetic Items |
                            UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                              I think some people here might feel the same. Like this guy for example https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...read.php?15205
                              We've been talking to him, his work is quite good!

Anther thing to keep in mind is that there are many, many stages to this process. A concept is a great starting point, but then it needs to translate into 3D high poly. Then to low poly. And rigging. And then materials need to be made. And then perf optimizations for the model and the material, and then team variants, and then... my point being that every piece of the game involves several people and more time and effort than you might think at a glance. Our hope is that you guys can self-organize into small strike teams and knock some of these pieces out quickly.

And we ARE seeing some progress! I checked in a bunch of skin variants and cosmetic items from the community last week:

Added new character skins:
                              Thundercrash Dark Armor
                              Thundercrash Inverse Armor
                              Thundercrash Arctic Armor
                              Thundercrash Forest Camo
                              Black Legion Dark Camo
                              Black Legion Red Armor
                              Black Legion White Armor
                              Black Legion Face Variants (x4)

Added New Cosmetic Items:
                              Generic Beanie (Black, Grey, White)
                              Sunglasses (Black)
                              Nanoblack Helm (Black, Green)
                              Energy Helm (Black, Silver)
                              Phayder Stealth Series Helm (Green, Black)
                              Thundercrash Sunglasses (white + logo)
                              Thundercrash Beret (Green, Red)
                              Elite Assassin Helm (Green, Black)
                              Thundercrash Beanie (Green, Red, White)

More on the way. Go community.
                              Jim Brown
                              @EntropicDev
                              Epic Games

Comment

Skins, a lot of hats, glasses, masks, hoods ... I really hope that greater priority will you give it a full-fledged characters, rather than the bare frame, which then will be converted to other characters using caps.

In previous parts of UT characters were two or four basic models, which with help of excellent work designers transformed into colorful and memorable characters. I hope that it will be in UT 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X