No announcement yet.

Adder: Thundercrash Mercenary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Adder: Thundercrash Mercenary.

Hey Guys.

Just wanted to smash a new character head out. I just started this today, and I'm going for a sort of 'one-man-army' mercenary type. Someone who knows how to field-strip any weapon in ten seconds. Blindfolded. Handcuffed. With his tongue.

He's the sort of guy who has no past, grew up with many people, but no parents. Old enough to know what death looks like. Some say he's a legend, but he just sees a job to do.

I'm going for the 'seen some ****, don't care' sort of face.

thematic examples:

First Draft:

Let me know what you like.

Without any context, I think it looks pretty good.

In the context of UT, I don't really think it fits very much at all. I don't really know enough to explain why, but the proportions don't look realistic to me. It looks cartoonish. I've tried drawing faces before, so I understand that modeling them is probably even more difficult, but I really think you should start over or something

Maybe start trying to realistically recreate one of your source models and then modify it until you are satisfied. Might give a more realistic starting point.

Comment

Yeah, The proportions were purposefully exaggerated to make him look a bit cartoonish.

How is that? I did a bit more work on the proportions, also made him look a bit younger.

Comment

It's still really exaggerated tbh, I think it's most noticeable in the nose, lower lips, lower part of the ears, and how deep and defined every crease is.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Okay, So I decided to calm down on the chiseled lines and square edges. Hows it going?

Comment

these faces looks absolutely amazing! realistic, and wrinkly battle scars. bald like the military forces. would make a great character for the Thunder Crash Team.

Comment

This guy looks like a badass! You know what? Badass and bandolier both start with a 'B'. Might suit this guy
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Prodigy613 View Post
                This guy looks like a badass! You know what? Badass and bandolier both start with a 'B'. Might suit this guy
                No offense, but this guy looks like a fashion model.... too young, no scars, no combat experience.
                RASTE IN PEACE !
                Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                  No offense, but this guy looks like a fashion model.... too young, no scars, no combat experience.
                  I think he's talking about incorporating the bullet-belt thing slung over his shoulder, rather than anything else about him.

Comment

I think the most recent version is the best so far, but still seems a bit off proportion-wise. I guess that it might help to make it look like a more recognizable face. The logic there is that if it looks vaguely familiar to a real/recognizable face it will more easily be accepted as realistic looking. Just a thought.

Comment

I like a 'stylized' look but don't feel like it's right for UT.

Personally, when designing new characters, I like to see some kind of attitude coming through in the design. Is he (or she) arrogant? Wise, snarky...Cruel? Something. Sounds easy but sometimes it's hard to do.

Good start, man. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zablorg View Post
                        I think he's talking about incorporating the bullet-belt thing slung over his shoulder, rather than anything else about him.
                        Yeah sorry if it sounded like he should look "just like this '...' " but this is what I meant to be suggested, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

So far he has a very Egyptian/Indian look about him, similar to Ben Kingsley -- I actually think that's a very characterful face, but I have trouble seeing its relationship to the concept art images (Clint Eastwood, Kurt Russel, etc). It might be useful to post a shot where you transpose this head on top of the base Thundercrash guy body, to help people visualize what it will look like. Personally I think it looks fine and with good materials will make a great addition.
                          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I wish I had more to show at the moment, but I've come down a bit ill and need to rest as much as possible.

Some comments: I drew concepts of this character for about a week before I started, unfortunately because of protracted renovations, I can't find my scanner, so I can't really show you what I plan to do with Adder.., but hopefully I can express what I plan and get some feedback:

The current sculpt looks almost to young, I'm aiming for early fourties with scars and worry lines to show experience. One prominent feature on Adder will be a scar from the left corner of his mouth up to his cheekbone.

As for hair, Adder will have a salt-n-pepper coloured messy overgrown military crew crop, and a 1-week growth of facial hair complete with a few missing chunks where the underlying skin has been permanently scared.

I'll try to pick this up again once I feel a bit better.

Comment

Here is a quick paintover to communicate some of what I feel about the direction this needs to go in order to make him more convincing. I hope it speaks for itself but in short, it would help to really look at the head from all angles. Really study the human head in photographs and what you would see from every angle. The guys ears jutted out where it should not at the bottom, and was too flat and rectangular. Parts are too edgy and too emphasized, the forms need to blend together slightly more, don't be afraid to use roundness, it's not gonna make him look soft, even though "mean" is sort of what you want. We will get that he is world weary and badass via subtlety.

His eye shape in the lids is too square. His nose narrow and too scrunched in an anger expression at the top, the nose/brow does not make that shape unless a person is truly angered... give it a try in the mirror. So again... soften. And bring wayward shapes in, like the cheekbone.

I added a subtle layer of subdermal fleshiness to just give an extra bit of life to it and visualize where it could go with texture. For age, a little bit of forehead lines go a long way, a dude his age wouldn't have a smooth forehead.

All in all these are pretty minor tweaks, the base is fairly structurally sound, I just think - as with your previous attempt on Lauren - it needs a bit of work on the fundamentals, which will come with practice.
                              Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X