Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by cafe View Post
    I know this is kind of a dumb thing to say, but you can't actually see nebulas. They also are not colored like that at all. I'd just go with the over earth look, maybe include some milky way action.
    Here's the visible light emitted from the Eagle Nebula:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle_Nebula_M16_visible.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	341857

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cafe View Post
    I know this is kind of a dumb thing to say, but you can't actually see nebulas. They also are not colored like that at all. I'd just go with the over earth look, maybe include some milky way action.
    Yeah, I agree with you about the nebulae, but Hell: this is an Unreal title! AND the nebulae were in the original map made by Epic, so I just left them there.... My main goal with the skybox fiddling was to make the map more resemble the original. I wouldn't mind to add some atmospheric effects around the planet, but hey this is a proof of concept.

Originally posted by Sigmafie View Post

Dagnabbit KazeoHin! Always making something awesome. *jealous*
    Aw Thanks! But seriously, I barely did anything: most of what you see are assets in the original map that have just been re-positioned.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This popped up over on the polycount forums a few days ago.

Credit to Alireza Khajehali

Here was the graph

I have not tried to replicate inside of the UT4 specific editor -- but should be similar and easy to replicate.

Dagnabbit KazeoHin! Always making something awesome. *jealous*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So yeah, keep in mind this was like 45 minutes of just playing around.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Skerion View Post
    How? I thought it looked alright.
    Playing around in the editor I got the Facing Worlds skybox to look AMAZING after about 30 minutes of fiddling. I'll see if I can post screens, but yeah: The current skybox is a bit lackluster in terms of artistic framing: it technically looks great, and all it needs is a bit of a rotation here, a nebulae there... and it looks like a completely different map.
    Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 10-08-2015, 02:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Borbarad101 View Post
    Yes to great skyboxes. Speaking of skyboxes, the space-box for Facing Worlds needs to go...it's bad.
    How? I thought it looked alright.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes to great skyboxes. Speaking of skyboxes, the space-box for Facing Worlds needs to go...it's bad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whoops. Guess I should have read your entire post. Heh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Rick,

but the pic in my last post is actually a screenshot from, you guys, taken from Epic's UE4 documentation
    Mine looks far worse and not anything cloase to that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No glowing skins. We're not there yet on character visibility but we'll get there.

Your sky looks great! The hard part is using atmosphere, which is not only nice visually but adds scale by implying distance, without it hindering game play.

The lighting is tied more to the skybox than ever before. That's why you're not seeing as many dark skies. A dark sky will mean a lot more hands on lighting in your level while a light sky (via the skylight) will bounce a lot of light around your level on it's own. In other words, it's just easier to use a bright sky and the lighting ends up looking more natural, IMO.

I've talked to Anton about writing something quick up as a tutorial. He's just a little swamped right now on one of our other projects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi everybody,

fist of all: thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Some replys to the comments so far:

@Rick / artists:
    Good to see thay you guys also think skyboxes are an important part of overall map design, and that you (personally) would like to use also some darker skyboxes. I have the same impression, looking back in the history of UT games, for me the most impressive outdoor-skyboxes have been the darker ones. And i think liiking at the new Facing Worlds: this is a good start.
    I wonder if e.g. the usage of slightly 'glowing', light emmising materials for player skins (no matter if for deathmatch or team-play) would e.g. combined with not too bright skylights and darker skyboxes would not result in better visibility on player charachters within the map.

@danpaz3d:
    From gameplay point of view you're right and i'm absolutely with you. They don't matter. BUT, think about maps like Facing Worlds, Hyperblast ...
    Don't you thinks that exactly the skyboxes which provided the sense of 'hey, i'm fighting in and ona spaceship, riding with fater than light throught space' or 'wow, i'm hanging around here on this cool rotating asteroid in space and fight to get the dam flag from these ancient whatever towers' were not responsibe for overall UT's success, by the way that they provided this sense of surreallity? I guess using 'boring 'normal' skyboxes would have make these maps and overall UT less sucessfull..

@idea for skybox tutorials:
    Great! And maybe more than one!
    I played arounrd and was trying to recreate the 'demo' sykbox/skylight from the UE editors documentation (Lightmass and global illumination, Light shafts), and set the parameters for skylight and atmospheric fog as provided in the documentaion, but i was not really able to create a skylight/skybox which looked in the end like the demp-pic from Epics engine docu:

so i assume i need to try harder or i'm missing some tips & tricks / best practices.

Hope this thread will not die, and people i nthis forum show & sahre some great ideas of slyboxes (not only old UT stuff, but whatever you see and think it would fit to UT4)

@EPIC artist: By the way, as my hope that the darkish green-blue sykbox from EPICs background picture for the Visse character was not fullfilled in the so far beautified maps, could someone of you guys walk over to Chris Perna and steal it from his computer? I'm pretty sure it would make a wondrfull fit for maps like CTF-Blank or DM-Deathfall.

cheers
    Last edited by Mr Van; 09-23-2015, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is fairly easy to do. I think I may have a few simple skies like this already checked in there somewhere. Add a brightness control as well. You can get a lot of your lighting look by adjusting the color and brightness of the sky (as long as you have a sky light in your scene).

*I love the color of your sky, btw.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    ElectricFields immediately comes to mind: I would LOVE to see a UE4 version of this map.

Since you posted it I just couldn't help myself.

It actually made me curious. I'll try to create a skybox where you can actually edit the colour of the clouds and of the sky, to make it more atmospheric and suitable to the map. Right now you can edit Post Process or time of day etc. but it's not the same. If I'm successful I'll share my results here
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Raste View Post
    That would be super useful. It doesn't have to go too much in the details, but I'd like to understand the thinking behind the process rather than the technicalities. How do decompose in objects the background, how to customize a ton the skybox, etc.
    I will try to find some time on weekend and explain possible workflow. At least this days we don't need really to bake meshes to skybox texture. So mostly it about keeping meshes simple, and working with composition and materials values.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X