Floatharr's paint-overs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Floatharr's paint-overs

Hi! I've been practicing environment painting lately and I've been a fan of UT for 15 years, so I wanted to get involved. Now that my skills have caught up, and I have a better idea of how to contribute meaningfully, starting off by doing paint-overs seemed like the perfect challenge! The idea is to do one image a day of at least half the currently live shell maps until I figure out something else to do or get bored. Feedback and ideas are encouraged!

I stream the process every night on my twitch channel at http://www.twitch.tv/floatharr where you can chat and throw suggestions at me as I work, starting time is in the channel info. Finished images go to https://twitter.com/floatharr, and I update my deviantart http://floatharr.deviantart.com/ around maybe once a month with anything I feel is worthy of preserving. I'll be posting everything UT related on the forums and IRC, and tweeting them as they're finished at the end of the night. I can provide full resolution images if requested.

To start off, I've made 2 pictures; CTF-Blank with a TitanPass-ish makeover with tons of vegetation and chiseled stone, and DM-Temple with a cool waterfall:

Attached Files
    Last edited by Floatharr; 12-20-2015, 08:52 AM. Reason: TDM-Blank to CTF-Blank
    Environment concepts thread - daily sketches on twitter - art streams on twitch.tv

Those are awesome! please show us more!

Comment

Me gusta! Also, there are tons of promising community maps that need some love from concept artists
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

This thread!!! I want more, I want it to never end, I love paint overs, moooooaaaar!

Comment

Really nice!
          Unofficial Enforcer Model
          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Thank you everyone, I will be making these as long as I can, don't worry

Today I wanted to do a cleaner concept to offset the 2 messy ones I did earlier. Settled on DM-ASDF. Went for a sporty repurposed factory eventually. High visibility was key.

Attached Files
            Environment concepts thread - daily sketches on twitter - art streams on twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by Floatharr View Post

Today I wanted to do a cleaner concept to offset the 2 messy ones I did earlier. Settled on DM-ASDF. Went for a sporty repurposed factory eventually. High visibility was key.

Nicely done! Like I mentioned during twitch, "real sporty looking!"
              I like it!

Comment

Amazing work (you'll be giving gooba a run for his money haha), looking forward to seeing more

As to ASDF though, it still looks a bit too much like a bsp shell. The colours and their placement is awesome, but it just needs a final touch (in a similar idea to how outpost is clean but interesting at the same time) before it'll look finished in my opinion :P
                Last edited by Obliterator2; 12-20-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obliterator2 View Post
                  Amazing work (you'll be giving gooba a run for his money haha), looking forward to seeing more

As to ASDF though, it still looks a bit too much like a bsp shell. The colours and their placement is awesome, but it just needs a final touch (in a similar idea to how outpost is clean but interesting at the same time) before it'll look finished in my opinion :P
                  I totally agree, and that's something I really want to improve upon. I have some ideas about how to get a more detailed look without an unreasonable time investment but that'll take some experimentation and practice still. Thank you for the feedback!

The last 2 paintings took over 5 hours each, and I want to cut down the hours a little and keep focusing on covering a lot of ground rather than spend multiple days on each painting. For today's painting I picked DM-NickTest1. I wanted to cover a different theme and practice changing up the geometry and lighting as much as possible, as that seems like something I need to work on.

The consensus was that it doesn't look very UT which I agree with. Iterating by referencing previous games and adding a sci-fi twist might help if that were to become necessary. I'm not happy with the finish quality, could have used a little more time, but at this point I don't think the image would significantly improve conceptually with more time and detail. That said, I think it good as an exploration of mood and theme, and might be useful in some context so I'm calling it good enough and moving on.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Floatharr; 12-21-2015, 06:53 PM. Reason: fixing words

Comment

Strangely this paintover strongly remind me of BR-Anubis (the areas on the sides if I recall correctly). This map actually had some Sci-fi elements added to the egyptian them. Mainly lightings on the proeminents symbols.

Comment

OMG your work is awesome!! I am super excited to see more of your paintovers for the UT maps. It will surely inspire many people and gives us great new ideas on how maps can look once they are fully modelled and textured. Thanks for showing us!

Comment

Really nice work! I just have a little question...

Are Egyptian and Maya styles suitable for the Unreal Universe? I think that it would be better if you featured Nali references in the DM-Temple concept, and I'm actually not sure about the "too realistic" Egyptian style of DM-NickTest1. I know that UT2k4 featured characters with that kind of design, but also little Sci-Fi references were included in those models: you should do the same thing in the DM-NickTest1 concept, even in the ancient statues and wall sculptures. It's just my opinion, though.

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

These are great Floatharr! I especially like DM-Temple and CTF-Outside. Great style, meaningful brush work, and fantastic use of color as well!

Keep it up!

Comment

smooth and clear loving it, the ctf ones are over the top lol my eyes would burn searching for players on that : D

Comment

Those are really impressive! If you ever have the time I would love some concept art on my RadioActive map https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...DM-RadioActive
                              Win 10
                              iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                              3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                              32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                              DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                              2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Working...
                              X