No announcement yet.

Deck 16 (with ship)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, just want to echo the sentiment about how this looks like how it should have been from the start. Almost like the tech wasn't there, and so it was left a shell, and now it can be done right. Or like every other iteration simply avoided this obvious rendition as per the pain volumes not fitting.

If I could contribute anything in support of this rendition, it would be that I wouldn't miss the pain volumes, nor do I think it would severely hurt game play if they were gone. The water alone is a death trap just for how it effects your movement, and forcing an opponent to be there to insure the damage would be just fine, all things considered. At this point, I feel the pain volume damage is just insult to injury.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I'm going to start shelling this out soon. I've settled on the idea of an old, dock with some tacked on futuristic elements, and a futuristic ship.

Would anyone like to help with meshing after? I don't do that!
      Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
      www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Started shelling out. I've referenced the current deck for the width of the goo pit - but that's about it. Currently I've focused on testing the concept , which seems to work in its very basic current expression, and to get the scale I want for this map, which I hope to be better for 1v1 and smaller DMs.

It's by no means a finished shell, I'll be working on this for ages. However while putting it together, I realised a fair bit about the current decktest doesn't make sense for 1v1 and maybe 2v2 also (classic gametypes I hope to see continue to get competitive play into the future even as the world evolves )

Some big changes - there is only one of each weapon. Teleporter doesn't exit directly above 100a. Weapon types are spread around the map diametrically (rather than similar weapons being close, with the exception of link and mini which remain in the same place). Flak/small armor corridor has been minimized. The main room is shorter and there are less ramps.

Other small changes may be deliberate or incidental at this stage, I will move forward by referencing current decktest so the layout and sizes of individual areas matches as much as possible. Currently it kind of does but a lot doesn't.

https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/content/284-DM-HacksDeck
        Last edited by the_hack; 01-17-2018, 06:26 AM.
        www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

A little progress. Referencing decktest as much as possible but making changes to suit theme or improve. There is only one of each weapon which meant some switching. Tried to spread points of interest around the map more to improve flow. Just playing at this stage....

the ship you you can see will be a cargo ship, like an elongated rectangle holding containers in its underbelly. At the moment it’s just an elongated rectangle

www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

I feel like the layout is working pretty well and have started building a cargo spaceship out of outpost assets

based on this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	matt_booty_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	396856
            www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

I love this take on Deck, though judging only by the video, I don't like very much the spacing. I'd bring it more towards the original layout, and focus on the theme.
              Some suggestions:
              The pool on the bottom could be the water between the "ship" and the deck itself, with wooden planks floating on both sides (that lead to the rocket launcher). The elevator/redeemer section could be an extension of the deck.
              The sniper/uDamage/rocket section I don't really know, but could work as the back of another ship docked right between the big ship and the dock.

Quick edit: Just something that passed through my mind now. The elevator area could be a sort of carrier for containers on the deck. Beyond the elevator would be an open area (not accessible) with lots of containers. The containers get loaded onto the elevadors, they're taken to the floor above, and carried on conveyor belts to the right, towards the ship. This section (where the bio rifle is, I think) could work as a loading area on the ship. Anyway, just throwing some thoughts around.
              Last edited by Izangar; 04-12-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Good thoughts! However I'm not sure the current decktest layout is fun for anything other than DM really... So I'll probably use this on an alternative layout (not the one posted, this one https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...new-content/35 )
                www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Working...
                X