Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the new UT looks so f*kin dark just like UT3 ot it's just me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the new UT looks so f*kin dark just like UT3 ot it's just me?

Hello,

After a while trying to find out where to give my feedback for UT this was the only proper place I could find.

So played UT since '99 but I never liked UT3 because most of the maps was so dark that you can't even see your own weapon. Actually when you spend 4-5 seconds you can see pretty much every detail, but you really have to spend some time and look very hard into it. It's not the use case for a game with that speed.
    I mean dark is good for a singleplayer game where it's great to look more realistic and natural.

But for a multiplayer tournament type of game that is suppose to be e-sports friendly it's terrible.

I spent 1 hour playing the new UT today and about 70% of the time I was just shooting at the dark not seeing dafuq's going on.
    I tried to play around with the monitor and brightens settings of the game and it helps a little but still you almost never see your enemy clear like for FPS game.

Until now I've been playing UT2004 that has wonderful lightning that I never did appreciated until UT3 came. I hoped that this will be fixed at the new UT but it's still the same. I'd like to give for example Q3 arena that was known as THE FPS tournament game. Take a look not just the lightning but the entire visibility of the maps. Yes, that's a tournament game.
    UT'99 also had some darker maps but I'll give you for example the classic Deck16][ where even the darker place - the 100 armor you could still see very clear what are you shooting at. Somehow it was dark but still clear and very much everything was visible.

Now maps of the new UT looks like a medal of honor, or singleplayer missions of battlefield where you have to snick and hide in the dark and try to see enemies hiding in the dark. But the difference is that here you don't hide and seek. Well I never knew UT as such game and if it becomes like this I guess I'll stop playing it just like I tested UT3 and never tried it again. I guess if it continues to look like like this I may stay to UT2004 as at least it's very friendly for the eye and you don't have to make such big effort just seeing the screen.

It's not realistic I agree about that but for tournament play it's definitely the lightning you would be looking for.

Please let me know if anybody on the forum shares my opinion and if it is somehow possible to fix this by settings, or it may be fixed only by the game designers.

Thanks

• replied
    I usually play with r.TonemapperFilm = 1

I enable tone-mapper because it gives a better contrast and better shades of colors. Currently many effects, like the Link's secondary beam or the explosion of the rockets, are oversaturated, but enabling the tone-mapper you can see a substantial difference (in better).

The problem is that, typing r.TonemapperFilm = 1 in the console, the dark areas of the several maps I play become even more darker: that's a pain in my eyes! I really can't see clearly in many maps when tone-mapper is active (and I don't want to disable it since I don't want to play with oversaturated colors). Example are DM-Underland and DM-Backspace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sudomadafaka View Post
    Hello,

After a while trying to find out where to give my feedback for UT this was the only proper place I could find.

So played UT since '99 but I never liked UT3 because most of the maps was so dark that you can't even see your own weapon. Actually when you spend 4-5 seconds you can see pretty much every detail, but you really have to spend some time and look very hard into it. It's not the use case for a game with that speed.
    I mean dark is good for a singleplayer game where it's great to look more realistic and natural.

But for a multiplayer tournament type of game that is suppose to be e-sports friendly it's terrible.

I spent 1 hour playing the new UT today and about 70% of the time I was just shooting at the dark not seeing dafuq's going on.
    I tried to play around with the monitor and brightens settings of the game and it helps a little but still you almost never see your enemy clear like for FPS game.

Until now I've been playing UT2004 that has wonderful lightning that I never did appreciated until UT3 came. I hoped that this will be fixed at the new UT but it's still the same. I'd like to give for example Q3 arena that was known as THE FPS tournament game. Take a look not just the lightning but the entire visibility of the maps. Yes, that's a tournament game.
    UT'99 also had some darker maps but I'll give you for example the classic Deck16][ where even the darker place - the 100 armor you could still see very clear what are you shooting at. Somehow it was dark but still clear and very much everything was visible.

Now maps of the new UT looks like a medal of honor, or singleplayer missions of battlefield where you have to snick and hide in the dark and try to see enemies hiding in the dark. But the difference is that here you don't hide and seek. Well I never knew UT as such game and if it becomes like this I guess I'll stop playing it just like I tested UT3 and never tried it again. I guess if it continues to look like like this I may stay to UT2004 as at least it's very friendly for the eye and you don't have to make such big effort just seeing the screen.

It's not realistic I agree about that but for tournament play it's definitely the lightning you would be looking for.

Please let me know if anybody on the forum shares my opinion and if it is somehow possible to fix this by settings, or it may be fixed only by the game designers.

Thanks
    This looks like the correct place to give such feedback, I would advise going on the discord channel as well.

Could you show examples of combat situations or maps that you believe feature the correct lighting? Check also community maps and not only the official ones for this.

If you have screenshots, it's even easier to understand your point of view.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X