Sharpness and cleanness, both in visuals as in gameplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpness and cleanness, both in visuals as in gameplay

What bugged me a lot was the processing in UT3, the clutter in maps and the lack of visibility because of effects. Priority to me is to keep the looks and gameplay sharp and straight to the point! Thats the core of Unreal Tournament, and in my opinion the reason it felt so good to play!

This:

http://epicgames.com/community/wp-co...cingWorlds.jpg

Instead of:

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetunr...3bp1/face3.jpg

I think this can make or break competitive play, just like it did with UT3.

What can I do to help? I'm a real UT veteran, and this reboot has me insanely hyped up.
    Last edited by MachoMoustacho; 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM.

The pictures do not load to me but I would like to see a brightskin mode to allow for competitive matches for the lesser gods.

Bring back the books! The only sure way to reach the top. (u1 reference)

Comment

I totally agree, there was a lot of visual noise in UT3 and sometimes not much separation of the player from the background in many of the environments. I think making the characters brighter and more saturated again a lá Ut2k4 would be a good thing, if only in the interest of player v bg separation. Also, I tried to check the links, but both displayed as broken.

*edit*.bright skin mode was great. I'd make all my opponents neon pink juggernauts. This made life absurdly easy if you had a lightning gun.

Comment

Originally posted by MT View Post
        The pictures do not load to me but I would like to see a brightskin mode to allow for competitive matches for the lesser gods.

Woops, I updated! Check it please

Comment

Check the links - they've got broken

EDIT: Don't just paste them in the text, use the hyperlink tool in the editor.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
            Check the links - they've got broken
            Just fixed em!

Comment

Checked it. Thing is the UT3 face was one of the maps that didn't have much visual clutter. The main problem there was the generic map color grading and the overall color palette of the game. Also, when playing CTF in the original you also had issues seeing players sitting on the tower ledges or balconies, especially if there was no planet in the background at the moment.
              "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
              - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I agree to keep things less cluttered and simple as such.. I'm looking forward to seeing examples that are not screenshots of UT99 though (but I agree that gets the point across)

UE4 is far superior when it comes to post-process effects and everything else, so I think it will be naturally easier for map designers to make things look great without over-filling everywhere with extra clutter and darkness and blurry post-processing.

Comment

That would became UT3 part 2. I would be all for a lot less cartoony UE4 hi-def LOADOUT style. Simple textures and sharp and defined shapes and structures. Perfect for a shooter. I'm sure there would be a way to make it look Unreal.

Comment

Im not against detail but I can understand where people are coming from in regards to noise, the thing I find is there is alot of extreme views with no alot of middle ground so I think thats where I am. I dont like glowy characters with alot of ambient light, I do like colour though but not cartoony and alot of UT3's issue's I find are in the post process, alot of the pictures have heavy post process on and it really blurs the image, especially with DOF on. Thats not to say its textures were perfect, UT had nice variation in its textures and they were dirty without being splattered with grime, I think UT3 did alot right and it doesnt get enough credit for things that it does right like having alot of detail but not in the way all the time. Id really like to see detailed walls, flooring etc but collision issues need to be addressed as soon as they come up not left and left till they actually make it into release, I can appreciate people like those clean low poly BSP old school maps but I think we need to bring Arena games past that if they are ever going to appeal to a more broader market, there is a middle ground though, we dont need meshes everywhere getting in the way but they are nice when used properly
                    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                      Im not against detail but I can understand where people are coming from in regards to noise, the thing I find is there is alot of extreme views with no alot of middle ground so I think thats where I am. I dont like glowy characters with alot of ambient light, I do like colour though but not cartoony and alot of UT3's issue's I find are in the post process, alot of the pictures have heavy post process on and it really blurs the image, especially with DOF on. Thats not to say its textures were perfect, UT had nice variation in its textures and they were dirty without being splattered with grime, I think UT3 did alot right and it doesnt get enough credit for things that it does right like having alot of detail but not in the way all the time. Id really like to see detailed walls, flooring etc but collision issues need to be addressed as soon as they come up not left and left till they actually make it into release, I can appreciate people like those clean low poly BSP old school maps but I think we need to bring Arena games past that if they are ever going to appeal to a more broader market, there is a middle ground though, we dont need meshes everywhere getting in the way but they are nice when used properly
                      Actually, UT3 was way too over the top with the texture detailing.

And with the apealing to the market with "simple" levels. Look at portal. Look at TF2, Mirror's edge and I could continue. Simple but stunning looking (from a big pard thanks to that simpleness) and for sure appealing. We can make an interesting clean shapes with meshes, it's not about just using BSP.

Comment

I kind of agree here.

With this new rendering and esp cheap reflections we can still make stunning maps that do not have cluttered walls or floors. For UT3 when i made some maps and there were flat walls (for gameplay sake) i got comments about boring visuals.

For eg. this was the case on my CTF-November remake for UT3 when i made realistic walls that were just walls, people complained that walls are boring. Or on some DM map where i made flat floors without much distraction, later i added some shiny blinking pipes, because again floors were just plain floors.

But for Ut4 i could add a bit of reflection to the floor and have some nice window reflect in it. And there is no more boring floor.

Comment

Working...
                        X