Lava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lava

UT3 had a serious Lava deficit. The Elemental Demo shows you can do some pretty amazing Lava effects in the new engine. The turn towards realistic shooters has done away with these kinds of environment. Half Life 2 had radioactive waste that was colorless, compared to Half Life 1 for example. That's actually realistic because most radioactive materials don't glow but its unimaginative and boring.

I would say there's probably a positive correlation between having Lava levels and how successful an Unreal game has been (Unreal II, UC2 and UT3 are devoid of lava)

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
    I would say there's probably a positive correlation between having Lava levels and how successful an Unreal game has been
    Please put this in your signature.

In all seriousness though, maps with environmental hazards like lava simply rock. UT3 at least had green goo. Can't speak for UC2, but Unreal II still had some pretty fantastic environments.

This is what you're getting at, isn't it? Putting lava in your map requires imagination and confidence. Unreal isn't tethered to anything that would discourage these things.
    Dueling Flak Cannons
    We see the shells falling
    Together, we die

Comment

Agree, need more lava!

Games should move past this 'cool because it's so realistic to real life' phase

UT is perfect for unrealistic environments done in a realistic way, cool doesn't only mean 'reality'

Comment

I would agree, yes

Loved the CTF - Eternal Caves and the UT2004 mod version of it too

View my portfolio
        Unreal mod member since 2002
        CTF-Safeguard3, CTF-Dreary3, CTF-Stratus (V1.2), CTF-Pipeline(WIP)

Comment

Yeap, needs more lava. Also, CTF-LavaGiant.

Perhaps it should be spiced up a bit, though. In UT2004 you just skeletonise as soon as you touch it, which is pretty silly. You should be able to survive for a bit, but with very slow movement, and get charred instead.

I would say there's probably a positive correlation between having Lava levels and how successful an Unreal game has been (Unreal II, UC2 and UT3 are devoid of lava)
          Unreal II had molten metal. Not quite the same thing, but at least that's something
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

[...]probably a positive correlation between having Lava levels and how successful an Unreal game has been (Unreal II, UC2 and UT3 are devoid of lava)
            Haha, thought the same.

Lava most come back.
            Love Lava. ಠ_ಠ

I was about to say the same with palms and tropical settings but that... doesn't exactly work out.
            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
              Love Lava. ಠ_ಠ
              Long Live Lava!
              DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Id love to see some concept art for LavaGiant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
                  Id love to see some concept art for LavaGiant.
                  Well, UT2003 had LavaGiant2 (not included in UT2004 due to a bug that caused people to die in a fire even if they were nowhere near lava):
                  http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...A2AC60FF6D3AB/
                  Also:
                  http://i.imgur.com/uRTpUZ3.jpg
                  Also also:
                  https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/...fa93444e54.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Well, UT2003 had LavaGiant2 (not included in UT2004 due to a bug that caused people to die in a fire even if they were nowhere near lava):
                    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...A2AC60FF6D3AB/
                    Also:
                    http://i.imgur.com/uRTpUZ3.jpg
                    Also also:
                    https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/...fa93444e54.jpg
                    Ok, my bad, id love to see some concept art for a new LavaGiant.
                    People have created some amazing art in these forums.

Comment

Yeap, needs more lava. Also, CTF-LavaGiant.

Perhaps it should be spiced up a bit, though. In UT2004 you just skeletonise as soon as you touch it, which is pretty silly. You should be able to survive for a bit, but with very slow movement, and get charred instead.

Unreal II had molten metal. Not quite the same thing, but at least that's something
                      I actually loved that level with the plasma beams melting the metal in Unreal II ( I think its lab on Hell). There was supposed to be volcanic world in Unreal II, but apparently it was cut (lots of things were cut from that game. Striders, Shian, The N, Ocean worlds....)

Comment

I actually loved that level with the plasma beams melting the metal in Unreal II ( I think its lab on Hell).
                        You are correct. It was also an awesome map.
                        Dueling Flak Cannons
                        Together, we die

Comment

Yeap. Ocean levels with the Shian would be nice to see materialise. Striders had a cool concept (disassemble into parts to go around obstacles and reassemble into a stronger platform on the other side), but I'm not sure how that would for the Tournament. And the N were overpowered, but I'd love to see the Mind Claw return (it had healing powers, to would be a kind of an alternative to the Link Gun).

Comment

Yeap. Ocean levels with the Shian would be nice to see materialise. Striders had a cool concept (disassemble into parts to go around obstacles and reassemble into a stronger platform on the other side), but I'm not sure how that would for the Tournament. And the N were overpowered, but I'd love to see the Mind Claw return (it had healing powers, to would be a kind of an alternative to the Link Gun).
                            Wait...are you sure you posted in the right thread?

LAVA

Dueling Flak Cannons
                            Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
                              Wait...are you sure you posted in the right thread?

LAVA

Right, I thought this was the environment thread.

On the other hand, lava under water sounds cool, too. (Uh, did I just make an unintentional pun...)

Comment

Working...
                              X