Skaarj Homeworld theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    I was picturing a gargantuan clathrate gun-like scenario that would have pushed the Skaarj off the planet entirely. Possibly leading to queens living in motherships, etc.
    But that would preclude the very concept of there being a Skaarj homeworld and therefore the point of this thread, no? Of course, Skaarj inhabit a lot more planets than just their original planet, and in a sense it doesn't matter which planet we're talking about as long as it's dominated by the Skaarj.
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that term being used before.

It's a neat idea in science fiction where the carrying capacity of a civilization's homeworld is exceeded, forcing them to go off-world.
      Dueling Flak Cannons
      We see the shells falling
      Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Yeap. The Gen Mo'Kai have a lot of pines, too! And yes, this reminds me, we do see some Skaarj constructs on Na Pali. Nali themselves are not industrialised, so the Rrajigar Mines are of Skaarj doing, same thing with the Foundry, as well as the structures in Dusk Falls. Albeit it's not certain if it's purely Skaarj design, given that Brutes and Slith might have something to do with it as well.
        I always thought it was the Krall that created the Rrajigar Mines?
        Or was it just that the Skaarj let them run it?

Ill see if i can get some concepts added later this week.
        It wont be the same quality as weve seen in some other threads though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
          I always thought it was the Krall that created the Rrajigar Mines?
          Or was it just that the Skaarj let them run it?
          There were no Krall in Rrajigar Mines, so I'm not sure why you'd think that...

Comment

There were no Krall in Rrajigar Mines, so I'm not sure why you'd think that...
            Really? well thats embarrassing, mustave mixed up the names then

Comment

Sure, here you go:
              http://www.unrealsp.org/gameguide/be...7-soledad.html
              (Use "Next" and go through four pages. Yes, it's four pages full of screenshots.)
              And then: http://www.unrealsp.org/gameguide/be.../21-nexus.html
              (Go through three pages here)

The first temple is to a Skaarj deity named "Jrath" (I think in modern Skaarj that would be "J'rath", though). Not sure about Nexus.

Generally they use brown and red accents, sharp edges on all the ornaments and doors, and have lots of traps. And sacrificial altars.
              Though this is also probably not just Skaarj architecture. Nexus is clearly built into a Nali temple, and the Jrath temple also has Nali symbolics. So they probably took over some Nali temples and repurposed for their own deities. Note how the architecture is pretty much a blend of Nali temples and industrial themes from mines and Foundry. Also of note that they use these temples for developing their larvae (the purple liquid is their food), so it's not just a religious thing, but also serves a practical purpose.

There might be even more Skaarj temples in the PS2 version of Unreal, but I'm not really sure.
              Thanks for the link. Looks the site is bustling with Unreal screens, which could come quite in handy for environment artists that need reference material!

Was there a PS2 version of Unreal? I have the PS2 version of UT at home, but as far as I can remember there wasn't one of Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Neorej View Post
                Was there a PS2 version of Unreal? I have the PS2 version of UT at home, but as far as I can remember there wasn't one of Unreal.
                No, right, I actually meant the PSX (PS1) version.

Comment

Working...
                X