Respawner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think the respanw effects should stay the way the were in previous UT games. A player is spawned and at the same time, a spawn-in effect plays. Spawn locations shouldn't have visual markers and there shouldn't be any pre-spawn effects, both of which may encourage camping.
    Particularly marked spawn locations would be sort-of restrictive. Just remember that there are game modes like TAM and power-ups like the Relic of Redemption that ignore predefined spawn locations. Would be quite unsatisfactory to actually see that they ignore that. Without visible spawn location markers, players just happen to spawn at a different spot than usual.

For the actual spawn-in effect I'm totally open. Just make sure you recognize that spawning is an instant thing. You can (and must) be able to move and shoot immediately to join the action, otherwise you will experience yet another respawn.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So far there are two canonical explanations:
    Unreal 2 had a sort of advanced holographic system with feedback to the player via cybernetics. It was an NEG "training room" system. Highly plausible.
    Unreal Championship 2 demonstrated them as being a "just in time" teleportation system that monitored the battlefield for any combatant about to take lethal damage.

Spoiler

I recall UT3 just mentioned they'd been brought from tournament to battlefield, but I don't think it gave an explanation.. though the "Field LAttice Generator" was ridiculous so I'm rather thankful for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just like Great Emerald, I loved the zoom-in from Unreal - especially with instant-respawn enabled it was just a mind-eff to die and get thrown in right away with the mind still being busy with the fight. Gotta love that! Just add some fancy particles to it and you got a winner imo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Liandri is not responsible for any fingers, toes, or ******* added during the respawn process."

For gameplay, the spawn effect should probably be instantaneous and appear following a spawn, not preceding it. If there's too much of an advance notice of when someone respawns then surely this would encourage spawn camping to a degree. It's always been a quick effect with little hurrah, so I doubt this is a real issue that needs to be brought up but it's important for thinking about how a new spawn effect could look.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yep.

And then there could be dismemberment due to defect respawners or even a small risk of dying, another reason for why some just don't return.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sly. View Post
    They are only kept alive until the people lose interest in them, then the sponsor of the team/individual shuts down their respawners should the popularity reach low scores and a negative feedback. The end, still a glorious death if you die in a spectacular fashion during an important fight but don't get to come back.
    You could play the Anchient Rome card where fighters respawn as normal until one team "wins". then let the crowd/overseer choose whether or not the losing team gets to live at the end of the match, or if their respawners get shut down and they die for good. Would explain why Malcolm and other popular characters get to keep living after they lose, but others die in the process. It could also add a "winning the crowd" aspect and explain why teams like thunder crash and the egyptians dress in flashy costumes instead of practical armor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think that it is an accurate portrayal of what I think the Unreal Universe is like. Looking at the character biographies, the storyline of Unreal, RTNP and U2, there is a lot of unscrupulousness going on and I can also imagine that Liandri sent the "loudest" and most violent miners into the tournament to get some peace in their mines and to "forcefully" calm the rest as they would be afraid of meeting the same fate - under those circumstances, you will probably live longer in a mine than in the Liandri Grand Tournament. Then there are prisoners. Seeing how dangerous the transport of highly dangerous prisoners to prison moon can be for the "normal" people/crew (see Vortex Rikers, prisoner riots on board the closer they got to the moon and of course also the unfortunate crashlanding and Skaarj slaughtering on Na Pali), it pays off more to just send them into combats and let them suffer there as penalty (and eventually death sentence, should they be inable to gather popularity) instead of transporting them far away... and the full prisons issue is solved too.
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-07-2014, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
    Good god, man. What a nightmarish scenario: what if you were forced to fight in the tournament against your will with the looming threat of having your respawner turned off? Your idea introduces a potential social rift between well-endorsed, veteran fighters who have the funds maybe to even supply their own respawners and those less fortunate who can only borrow a respawner from some benefactor or who are forced to fight at the behest of their master.
    Sounds about right

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sly. View Post
    They are only kept alive until the people lose interest in them, then the sponsor of the team/individual shuts down their respawners...
    Good god, man. What a nightmarish scenario: what if you were forced to fight in the tournament against your will with the looming threat of having your respawner turned off? Your idea introduces a potential social rift between well-endorsed, veteran fighters who have the funds maybe to even supply their own respawners and those less fortunate who can only borrow a respawner from some benefactor or who are forced to fight at the behest of their master.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
    Indeed it seems more likely that every match is fought to the death. That is the impression one gets from reading the character bios of tournament fighters, some of whom even joined the tournament to seek a glorious death.
    Simplest explanation ever:
    They are only kept alive until the people lose interest in them, then the sponsor of the team/individual shuts down their respawners should the popularity reach low scores and a negative feedback. The end, still a glorious death if you die in a spectacular fashion during an important fight but don't get to come back.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Let's just leave the technical detail's alone, ut3 confirmed that respawner tech exist's in lore (as much as i didn't enjoy the single player aspect of ut3) it is canon when it comes to lore, it's cool, complicated ultra-tech that makes the warrior's unkillable ( i mean truly unkillable) until the core shut's off or is destroyed (i think it was the core, or the portable respawner's are depleted..again this is just a vague recollection).

However let's just leave the detail's of how it work's alone, it's best that way.
    Last edited by Berg; 06-07-2014, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's best to leave alone any attempt to devise an actual, plausible method for respawning. It opens up a long, dark tunnel towards increasingly convoluted and technical detail which a game like Unreal Tournament has never demanded and for which there is no clear benefit to having. Respawning is purely for gameplay purposes, IMO and should be treated as existing outside of the other lore for the game. In the original description of the tournament there is no mention of respawning at all. Indeed it seems more likely that every match is fought to the death. That is the impression one gets from reading the character bios of tournament fighters, some of whom even joined the tournament to seek a glorious death.

That being said, I sympathize that the 'de-rez' effect in UT2k3/4 felt strange, even jarring. Dead bodies should just stay dead until memory limitations demand that they disappear. I'm not sure how a spawn effect could look.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It was supposed to be a virtual simulation. Did you forget the UC1 shield and health pickup meshes? They are completely holographic. The item and weapon proportions in UT2003 were way off because they were supposed to be icons, nothing more.

That said, yes, it doesn't fit the story of UT3. But neither does your "repair" idea, because you obviously see yourself very dead (especially after several rockets hit you). And such repair would take way too long. The closest thing I can think of that would match the UT3 idea would be a variant of the Star Trek Transporter. It converts a person into a matter stream, sends them to the needed location, then converts them right back into being a person. Now if you put additional matter into it, you could potentially create identical clones. That would explain how it works: whenever you die, the Respawner reassembles your molecules anew from the time before you entered the arena. That would also explain the flashy spawn effects in all UT games.

Of course, that still leaves the question of why they don't use the technology to create a lot of clones, and only for respawning an individual. Maybe it's more energy efficient that way, or maybe there are strict regulations about it, or maybe it needs some of the original matter to function properly...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh I hated that effect. I thought it looked stupid. Would have made sense if they were in a virtual simulation, but UT is meant to have teleporters.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nah, I imagine respawners being electronics-based. Remember the deresolution effects of UT2003 and UT2004? That's what should relate to them. Green digital thingies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X