Epic Assets from Tech Demos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Assets from Tech Demos?

Besides the assets that are provided with the alpha version of UT, are we allowed to use any of the meshes that Epic produced for tech demos for level design or does everything have to be self made?

Thanks.

You can use anything that has been released in the UnrealEngine4 marketplace ... BUT ... there will likely be visual consistency problems with that approach as that content was never meant to visually co-exist with other content, necessarily.

Technically it will work.

Long term, you'll probably want to replace those assets with things specifically built for UT.

However, for prototyping and getting started, sure! Go for it.

Comment

Dumb question, but what is the best way to copy assets from one project to another and maintain their links i.e. materials?
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
        Dumb question, but what is the best way to copy assets from one project to another and maintain their links i.e. materials?
        If you right-click on all the assets you want, there's an option for migrating. If you do that, it will migrate all the assets and everything linked to them (textures and materials) to the new project (in this case, the UT project).

That way everything will stay the same, which means it will also maintain the folder system that those assets use. If you want to re-arrange everything later, just import and then move the assets. As far as I know, that's the only clean way to go about it. You can also bring all the .uasset files, but you might get broken materials because folders are different, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Mik2121 View Post
          If you right-click on all the assets you want, there's an option for migrating. If you do that, it will migrate all the assets and everything linked to them (textures and materials) to the new project (in this case, the UT project).

That way everything will stay the same, which means it will also maintain the folder system that those assets use. If you want to re-arrange everything later, just import and then move the assets. As far as I know, that's the only clean way to go about it. You can also bring all the .uasset files, but you might get broken materials because folders are different, etc...
          Thanks for the tip!
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I really hope the assets from the mobile demo can be used. Those assets just scream Nali Castle, and I think they'll work very well in UT4, assuming the castle environments from UT99 (carried over from and inspired by Unreal 1, of course) are part of the type of the palette of environments you and the other core team have in mind.
            The new UT is coming along nicely...
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
              I really hope the assets from the mobile demo can be used. Those assets just scream Nali Castle, and I think they'll work very well in UT4, assuming the castle environments from UT99 (carried over from and inspired by Unreal 1, of course) are part of the type of the palette of environments you and the other core team have in mind.
              Also the assets from VehicleGame. Nakhti theme instantly available, eff yeah!
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
              X