Level design themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think gravity should be added in most of the levels.
    There should be a story and maps to go along with the story. Maybe halfway through the story you could make a choice of which path to take. Good or bad path which would lead to additional levels. I think the story game play should be all over the world. Maybe the goal is to find items or hidden treasure. Along the way you can gain money to buy things to help with your end goal or make it easier to kill temporarily.
    You should be able to choice a path at the start of the game. Easy terrain, Rocky Mountains, lava pit, space, underground. Each path would have many levels that would all lead towards the same finish line. You can start and finish the game by choosing one path. Go back and choice another path to unlock different maps and more story. Finish multiple routes to unlock entirely new maps that can only be unlocked by passing the game with different directions.
    I think that UT's story mode could be totally unreal with all the stuff that could be unlocked by continually beating the game and taking different paths every time.
    For example: start the game in the high mountains. There are ten mountain levels that lead to the ocean where you need to kill an ocean god. You pass the game and kill the ocean god. You play again and you start in the lava pit. You journey across 12 lava maps and 3 new mountain pass maps and then lead to an even stronger ocean god. The next time you start out in space and move across 8 space maps only to be thrown down into 8 additional high mountain maps and 6 new lava maps. This eventually leads to the previously defeated ocean god who leads you to a real nightmare that can only really be killed when you beat the game another time taking an underground approach. This leads to 20 underground maps that uncover 5 new lava put maps and 4 new high mountain pass maps and 6 new space maps.

So eventually after beating the game over and over you keep unlocking new maps repeatedly and eventually have something like 100 levels. Then once those levels are met an ancient dungeon with the creator of all existence appears and he is a true nightmare to kill. Once he is dead then you are done with the campaign and you can freely explore all the maps you unlocked and additional ones.
    Just a thought, who thinks something like this might be cool??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Personally, I hated Morpheus' gameplay. Gravity + too cramped made things feel very cumbersome in there.

However, I think gravity was utilized very well in Hall of Giants. I wouldn't object to a remake of that level.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, playing on Morpheus from UT99 was great fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd like to see some creative use of gravity in this new UT. There just wasn't enough in UT3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Megasporwic View Post
    Sorry I Have to disagree with this post. I believe a few consistent design style packages are very necessary. As a community mapper I find working with themed Mesh sets really can make a difference.. and you can create some beautiful looking maps. I do think the packages should be in great size
    Well, I'm not saying that the classic themes (industrial, urban, temple,...) should be ditched altogether. I'm merely pointing out that the level design in UT3 was very same-y. This game has, for example, 6 maps with the same Ronin theme, which I think is too much. I also don't believe it necessarily results in mesh or texture packages being much more expanded, as a lot of assets are being re-used in these kind of maps. (that is at least my assumption. For now it's unfortunately impossible to go back to UT3 because I primarily work on the devil *coughMaccough* here to thoroughly check and verify this.)
    Last edited by Joen; 05-13-2014, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry I Have to disagree with this post. I believe a few consistent design style packages are very necessary. As a community mapper I find working with themed Mesh sets really can make a difference.. and you can create some beautiful looking maps. I do think the packages should be in great size

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Level design themes

Level design themes

Hello, people of Epic, I'm so excited to see you guys go at Unreal Tournament again!

When I heard you're taking feedback from the community, I wanted to drop in just to give some of my own.

I hope that, when designing this game, the artist will go crazy again on the themes of the levels the players will fight in. The environments in Unreal/UT looked crazy, completely out of this world, true to the namesake of the franchise (my favorite example being Flux, and basically anything built by Juan Pancho Eekels and Cedric Fiorentino, those guys were geniuses). In UT3, everything got a bit more down to earth, probably due to the idea to stick to a more consistent design, with only a few maps that shot out in the wow-factor (Strident and Omicron).

Personally I believe consistency is definitely not an issue in an arena shooter like UT, so please, grant the artists true freedom, remove their limits and let them go completely crazy... One of the things for which I will remember UT fondly is the imaginative look of the levels.
Working...
X