UTMC Entry - Industrial Relics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    On the topic of Dementiurge's feedback. This concept art while good is stuff we've seen before. It's pretty much UT99 industrial, so maybe we should consider branching out into more interesting areas?

Check out this and you'll see what I mean. http://www.pinterest.com/rileyz69/destroyed-beauty/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Yep, it is true that some lacked character, but I think there were also some great examples of such industrial settings which had a great atmosphere and good character.

Depending on whether I'd realize something like this for the game as a map, I'd probably make sure that the manufacturing rooms have some old machinery and alike in there. When I started this, I wasn't sure what kind of facility I would turn this into, so I didn't portray any other room than those hallways which connect several parts of it, a neutral setting so to say, basically like an interjection in between such manufacturing halls.

Heh, this might be one of the reasons Great Emerald pointed out that cause this arena feeling, I will note that down. Once I have enough reasons I might open a thread about things that make a map feel less like an environment but more like a decorated arena.

I got another concept that was an entry to that contest that I might post sometime soon and while the quality is not that good, maybe you will like that one more.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I never really liked UT's hard industrial environments. To me they lacked character, and many of the maps barely had any history to their architecture, where you ask the inevitable question "What was this room for?". Also, brick is now something of a luxury (ah, the ironies of modern manufacturing) so letting it corrode like that just breaks my heart.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you! Yeah I've already submitted it.

I'm currently seeing if I can somehow speedpaint the remainings of my original idea which I abandoned for this in order to make it before the deadline.
    I'm close to be done and will post the result on these forums as well later on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like it, it has this very typical feel of the old industrial themed maps, and therefore it reminds me of Rankin indeed, but also of the classics like Shrapnel.

I just saw that the submission deadline is extended to today, 23:59 GMT -5! So you can still submit it if you haven't done so already!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, it only shows one perspective with rather normal buildings as a contrast in the background. The building in the immediate area around it might be other factories of that kind and form the abandoned edge of an industrial district made of high-rise towers. I'd surely like to experiment more with that setting and make a different view someday to show what could be a vista from those windows.

Thanks for the input, you provided more ideas on what I could do with it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love the indoor art. Nice lighting and mood. But I feel like the outdoor art doesn't go with it. I think a ramshackle place like this should be on the ground, not in the sky. It is an interesting idea though. Maybe if you made the other buildings in the same dilapidated state it would work. It would be a pretty unique environment.
    Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 08-05-2014, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think in my case that might have been so since I have used the blockout of the map that ended up being the showcase for visual clarity standards for my interior shot. I forgot its name, but it has that oldschool, almost HOLP-y, layout feel to it. I still don't know how and why exactly it does feel that way and I'll surely brainstorm about this now. lol

Thanks, ChucklePunch! Yep, I rushed it a bit, haha.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sly. View Post
    Or do you mean it in such a way that it looks unnatural and prepared? If so, I'd like to get more information on this, I think it could be something one could talk about in a separate thread to make out what the boundaries of "convincing reused environments" are and where "just a map/arena" begins, sort of like setting up a guideline to be able to prevent this feeling.
    I mean exactly that, yes. Like Sir Brizz said, some levels really feel designed, instead of being environments that were later reused as arenas. UT3 HOLP levels are probably the worst offenders in that regard. And yes, that would be a nice topic to discuss.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I saw when you restarted with this new theme. You wrapped up crazy fast !

Definitely has that UT99 vibe down. I can picture getting sniped and throwing my keyboard on this map ;]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Great Emerald!

Been getting that Rankin vibe comment a lot by pretty much everyone, haha. I'd say it means that I have hit the UT feel for this.

Isn't it a good thing they feel somewhat like Tournament arenas? After all they are just that. Or do you mean it in such a way that it looks unnatural and prepared? If so, I'd like to get more information on this, I think it could be something one could talk about in a separate thread to make out what the boundaries of "convincing reused environments" are and where "just a map/arena" begins, sort of like setting up a guideline to be able to prevent this feeling.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice, gives me a Rankin vibe.

Though one thing I didn't like in some of the submissions, to a point in this one as well, is that looking at it you can see it's a tournament arena, with layout and pickups and whatnot... but not so much that it's an environment. The identity of the location can get lost. Thankfully, that was in the minority of the submissions

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [CONCEPT ART] UTMC Entry - Industrial Relics

UTMC Entry - Industrial Relics

Oh well, since it's probably already over given the final submission deadline and/or the final submissions thread, which was already closed roughly 2 hours before the submission deadline right when I was about to submit (bird poop happens ), I might as well share it with people on here too.

To quote what I have written over on Polycount:

"Here's the summary of my work/concept, it portrays an old highrise industrial facility built in the middle of a big city.
    The WIP thread can be found here.
    Original resolutions are 3834x2202, in case this information would be in any way interesting or necessary.

Indoor (based on Shot07) (first one)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	07_UTMCShot07_SubmissionF2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	679.4 KB
ID:	353083
    Outdoor (made from scratch) (second one)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	x09UTMCShot7OutdoorF1_SMALL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	353086"

I've spent roughly one evening on the outdoor version since the deadline was getting closer and rushed it a bit, so quality is not exactly the same on both.

Good luck to everyone who was allowed to post in the final submissions thread but especially those who couldn't make it or were not allowed to for those unknown reasons. Hopefully some of those great artworks will still make it into the contest or artbook in the end! Oh, and while I'm at it, also an early congratulations to the winner(s)!

EDIT: *Big whew*
    I'm surprised, they fixed the early closed submission issue and I was still able to submit! How uplifting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sly.; 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM.
Working...
X