Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doors and Doorways - Because Why Not? :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doors and Doorways - Because Why Not? :)

Hey everyone. I decided to work on a doorway for UT to hopefully replace the stock doorway and/or to provide the UT community with a really awesome doorway. I'm still a ways off from finishing this. A texture is needed, and I'm open to any ideas/suggestions for changes or improvements to this doorway.

The goal of this doorway is to remain fairly square in nature, and to provide a replacement for the stock doorway. As such, major deviations from that will have to be considered for future doorways. I plan to make a vertically sliding door and a double door design. I also want to maintain some modularity so that the doorway can be expanded wider or taller. I plan to have only a few versions of this doorway, as to not over-do things and keep things simple. The base at the bottom of the doorway is slanted so that the doorway can be easily incorporated into terrain situations. I'm hopeful that the final result will make into the official build so that the community can use it. I also hope to see it used in some of the new blitz maps the UT Team is working on.

Special thanks to Community member Payback for the idea to make a doorway.

Follow my progress for this on Twitch:

Disclaimer: This is a work in progress. As such, the poly count has not been optimized and a texture has not been created for this yet.

Click to Enlarge:

Click to Enlarge:

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM.
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Uh, it will be certainly useful!

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

That is looking really nice, cant wait to see the finished product. Can you post some screenshots with a player model to scale? Also will the door be modular in that some versions will have the base and others wont? Will the center part be a window? I really like how Epics stock doors have windows to let you see through them. Also lighting is important as well for team door colors. I feel like this door style could do some really neat integrated lighted. Either way, once these doors are done they are going into Polaris. Also just curious, would it be possible to add a decal to the doors? Where a player could use a picture to name the door? So if someone was using the door for say a room that is a boiler, they could easily add a "Boiler" decal to the door that moves with the doors?
      Last edited by PayBack; 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
        Can you post some screenshots with a player model to scale?
        Sure.

Will the center part be a window? I really like how Epics stock doors have windows to let you see through them.
        Yeah, it's a window.

Also lighting is important as well for team door colors. I feel like this door style could do some really neat integrated lighted.
        I definitely want to have some kind of team-colored options for the doors. Either, red or blue emissive lights, or red/blue paint. I will ensure this is possible.

Either way, once these doors are done they are going into Polaris.
        Cool.

Also just curious, would it be possible to add a decal to the doors? Where a player could use a picture to name the door? So if someone was using the door for say a room that is a boiler, they could easily add a "Boiler" decal to the door that moves with the doors?
        Hmm, didn't think about that. I can maybe make it so that there's a title etched into the glass, or I could move the window up slightly, or make it thinner to accommodate a text decal for describing a room. I want the window to reflect the same size as the stock doorway, so making it smaller will mean you won't be able to see as much through the window. Food for thought. Good suggestion.

Also will the door be modular in that some versions will have the base and others wont?
        Door is fully modular. I plan to have preset doorways where you can have a thin, thick, short, tall, wide, etc. Building in a modular fashion in Maya will enable lots of flexibility here.

Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 05-13-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Great work ! As usual with you

Comment

Nice Work! Looks clean and pro.

Comment

This looks pretty good Cap. Nice!

Comment

Thanks guys, getting some good feedback on this. I'm currently working on slimming the door down so that it can meet a default 500cm wide by 400cm tall by 100cm deep preset. Afterwards, I will make a double wide and a double tall doorway. It won't be much longer after that and I will begin working on baking this thing out and texturing it up.

Comment

looks good man idk if i would use the ramp for the door all that much but it definitely looks cool

Comment

Originally posted by MobCat View Post
                    looks good man idk if i would use the ramp for the door all that much but it definitely looks cool
                    Oh, the ramp is designed so that the top of the ramp can sit like 5cm above the floor (almost flush), and then most of the ramp will be embedded into the floor so that you won't even see 95% of the ramp. The ramp is meant for terrain situations.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate (This version of the door has extra depth to accommodate 250cm deep doorway situations).

Terrain Example:

Flat Floor Example:

No Ramp:

Comment

Some more pictures. Things are still *very* unoptimized.

Bottom right doorway = default doorway (Opening is 500cm Wide x 600cm Tall x 100cm Deep)

Bottom Left Doorway is Default.

Default Doorway:

Extra Deep Doorway (250cm Deep)

Ultra Wide Doorway (250cm Deep)

This covers the 4 essential door presets. I now must work on modifying the actual "door" to fit these various sizes.

Comment

Daaamn, it's looking guuuud
                        RASTE IN PEACE !
                        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                        Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                          Daaamn, it's looking guuuud
                          I've been sending you screenshots for 2 weeks. :kappa:

Comment

These are sick, great job man!
                            Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                            Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

If anyone's wondering why this is taking me so long, it's because UV mapping sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X