Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thank you Binger
    I'm not the one to lead it either! I simply don't have the time and would disappoint too many people.
    I got a placeholder I'm happy with for now. I'm a newbie when it comes to high poly modeling so I'll probably start on the power core next and then come back to the power node with hopefully enough skill to start adding details and then maybe move on to ONS weapons.
    I've been thinking about game logic but that's not really my forte. (I'm also a level designer and texture artist) Looking forward to learning something new!
    Screenshot of the placeholder (sitting on part of a texture set I'm also working on)

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Binger
    I just used that as a jumping off point to help get me to where I can feel comfortable enough developing my own concepts.
    I know I can export the meshes and port them if I wanted to but that's not what I want to do. I want to make something that will be closer to the art direction that UT4 is following. IMO that's a heavy Italian influence like Ducati/Ferrari/Lamborghini
    Hopefully I'm on the right track. Just blocked out some shapes for my "original" design of a power node: (no details yet like hoses/fasteners etc.. and no curvy shapes yet just getting a basic silhouette)
    I discovered a BIG issue with Painter and texture sets and won't be doing any texturing again any time soon. (multiple texture sets can not be combined into single textures to export)

n0niz I've also been giving some thought to the game logic in case nobody else picks up the torch. You may be hearing from me occasionally! The offer of guidance is very much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by King Mango; 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i can guide you for the coding, just come to discord

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes because its dedicated work to a gamemode. Its not making a prototype and done. You need to improve, patch and solve bugs. I can help, teach and show the way to go. But i'm not taking the lead on that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks n0niz. I know Fortnite has taken over Epic's resources but I'm hoping the community can fill the gap...

Hi Wail Thank you.
    Yeah the carbon fiber was just a placeholder until I figured out how to add an emissive channel in Painter. (which I did about an hour after posting)
    It's not exported from UT2004. It's modeled from scratch using the original as reference.
    I just got Painter and a Maya LT subscription recently (have been dabbling with Designer for a couple of months now) and decided to start with something that has the potential to be useful. I used to fiddle with simple meshes when Maya PLE was shipped with UT2k4 ECE but never really progressed.
    I am using it as a learning exercise mostly. I have been blocking out an original power node redesign concept based on UT4's art direction and will continue on with that once I use this mesh to get proficient with Painter and Maya.
    There's a couple of updated versions on my ArtStation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybA3O8
    I still need to learn better workflow with Painter and how to stencil in details like vents/bolts etc...
    Thanks for the feedback! :cheers:
    Last edited by King Mango; 01-16-2019, 02:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks good so far King Mango. Is this exported from UT2004 directly? It seems a bit low poly / angular, but that may also be intentional. Carbon fiber material is out of place on that surface, and naturally scaled much too large, but I'm sure that's temporary. Doing a simple glowy light material there would be fine, or carve out some more detail in the mesh. Overall balance of light / dark / color is nice to my eye, however.

Official UT4 development is over and not likely to ever resume. I'm trying to get more people invested into an Open Tournament project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    onslaught is easy to code, but it needs a dev working on it for months. Looks good

Leave a comment:

• started a topic FAN ART: Onslaught Power Node

FAN ART: Onslaught Power Node

So I really miss ONS and I wanted to get back into game art so I decided to start with a simple prop, the power node.
    I just searched the forums for Onslaught related topics but haven't found a working mod. If there is one, please point me in their direction!
    For some reason iRay keeps crashing since installing Painter (I have been using Designer for a couple of months now) and this is the only render I've been able to get of this asset.
    I also don't know how to add an emissive channel to the default PBR template yet so I've got carbon fiber on the pad. I'll probably separate the bezel and change that to a caution stripe pattern.
    I went with the currently popular Outpost color scheme.
    I am open to C&C please!
Working...
X