Concept request: Bombing Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concept request: Bombing Run

I'd really like to see some concepts for Bombing Run. I'm going to make this my Christmas project.

What we need:
    Goal
    Ball
    Ball throw effect
    Weapon that throws ball
    Level concept
    Last edited by TheWhiteDragon; 11-20-2014, 12:41 AM.
    BeyondUnreal Podcast
    r/UnrealTournament Moderator

I will likely try to contribute to this so please let us also know what kinds of rule change ideas people have. We'll make a post after we have a better idea in another part of the forums.
    Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 11-19-2014, 11:20 PM.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Perhaps options for the ball carrier to use weapons a la FragBall or regeneration to max health/armor in order to prevent tie matches or low score matches? These options should be mutually exclusive for balance reasons, and OFC there should be a third option, "None of them".
      Unreal Wiki - Collecting Unreal lore, one article at a time.
      "The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000. (Where good means 'helps advancing the art')" - Fast Eddie, TVTropes

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
        I'd really like to see some concepts for Bombing Run. I'm going to make this my Christmas project.

What we need:
        Goal
        Ball
        Ball throw effect
        Weapon that throws ball
        Level concept
        Then Christmas for me it will be too.

I wish you (guys) speedy development sir.
        -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
        BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          I will likely try to contribute to this so please let us also know what kinds of rule change ideas people have. We'll make a post after we have a better idea in another part of the forums.

I don't know about rule changes.. but from what I remember..

Functionality + custom maps = awesomeness.

I mean, I remember some great custom Maps... maybe some of those could be resurrected somehow.. I'm not talking about the Epic ones. Of course, new maps are cool too.

I remember first learning how to do the shock-push thing (scoring from a 100yrds away)... then learning how to bounce the ball, etc.. was some great moments in gaming.

Good luck!
          -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
          BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

We'll probably try lots of things in terms of rule changes to see what works. But in the beginning it will be very basic. That's why for now we're only asking about art.
            BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

I am thinking about the ball launcher as a high-tech metal magnetic gauntlet rather than a gun-like thing, and the ball floats in your palm. Functionally for gameplay, the same..this is just a visual thing.

The ball launcher is a clunky looking thing in UT2kx, i think a magnetic gauntlet like thingy is more elegant and fits to a sports theme. :/

*just to get ideas flowing

Comment

Instead of a big clunky piece of scrap metal, the ball should be a ball of energy.
                BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

Why energy? What happens to the energy when the ball is dropped?

Unrelated to looks, if you're making the BR gametype then please do get rid of that long. "New round begins in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..." it just serves no real purpose because you've already scored and all it's there for is making you wait to play again. It's not like you have to run back to the base or the ball spawn, that would actually matter on a count down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                    We'll probably try lots of things in terms of rule changes to see what works.
                    One thing I was thinking about for BR was moving spawn points. Imagine the maps being broken into different zones (think of then 10-yard lines in American football). These zones would be defined by the mapper and would contain spawn points. The teams could spawn in the zones adjacent to the whichever one the ball is currently in. For example, if the there are 10 zones in a map and the ball is in zone #4, the blue team would spawn in zone #3 and red would spawn in zone #5. When the ball reaches zone #5, blue spawns move to zone #4 and red moves to zone #6. This would keep the action moving, though it might make it too difficult to gain any ground. Perhaps the spawns should be in waves? We'd have to play around with it, but I think it could work.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                      Why energy? What happens to the energy when the ball is dropped?

Unrelated to looks, if you're making the BR gametype then please do get rid of that long. "New round begins in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..." it just serves no real purpose because you've already scored and all it's there for is making you wait to play again. It's not like you have to run back to the base or the ball spawn, that would actually matter on a count down.
                      The countdown allows you time to get the pickups you need before the next round begins it should definitely stay.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm;125719
                        Unrelated to looks, if you're making the BR gametype then please do get rid of that long. "New round begins in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..." it just serves no real purpose because you've already scored and all it's there for is making you wait to play again. It's not like you have to run back to the base or the ball spawn, [I
                        that[/I] would actually matter on a count down.
                        You know, a great many of us fans and Epic are looking for ways to create and maintain a level of immersion for the player. This is one very simple way to assist in facilitating that immersion.
                        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Please keep instagib in mind.

Comment

Bombing Run in UT4 would be awesome my favorite mode.

The Ball Luncher should have three ball release modes:

1. normal straight forward
                            2. right spin forward
                            3. left spin forward

So if you pass the ball to a team member you can make the ball bypass obstacles/enemies.

Attached Files

Comment

I definitely think putting english on the ball or the ball bouncing off certain material types is an area we should explore.

You could sorta do this in 2004 by locking onto a player then turning and shooting quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X