Concept request: Bombing Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think how fast you are moving should alter how fast the ball is released with a throw.... Throwing off a dodge, dodge slide, dodge wall run would increase reach for eg. Might be that ball velocity is a multiplier of player velocity (no idea how it the game actually works).

flicking the mouse could also add spin/ speed to the release at a cost of accuracy...

These would add some nice headroom below the skill cieling.

It might be cool if a gametype started off adapting ctf maps... Swappinng the flag for a hoop. If it was automatic it would allow us to get started without br specific maps.

I also think it would be awesome of the ball gun was replaced for player animations like running with the ball under an arm, throwinga and catching. Probably way harder to create though.
    Last edited by the_hack; 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great to see this. BR was by far my favourite gametype, and has the most potential as an esport too as it creates a watchable focal point and has skills that are easy to appreciate.

A few things: the game needs to be tuned, meaning it needs to be playtested extensively to see how often people score and in what ways. Map layout, size and team numbers will have a huge impact on this of course, but there are other options such as goal size and scoring zone that could be tweaked. A great way would be for map designers to be allowed to set touchdown zones other than carrying the ball through the goal, so you could have a separate zone to the hoop for throwing through if the map designer wanted. You could also set the score for each type - maybe you want shooting the ball through the hoop to be worth more than a touchdown, or worth nothing and it's all touchdowns or vice versa. All would be part of the map design.

This would allow a huge variety of game styles. Basketball style maps and football style maps would suddenly be meaningfully different to play.

Personally I'd be building maps inspired by NXL pro paintball arenas, but that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hello, playing BR for 13 years now. Every sunday and tuesday at the moment. We already mentioned some ideas in this thread
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...tion-Petition)

Main thing Epic has to figure out are the rule changing things:

will there be a double jump, so you can stand in air for 1 sec? It's a big mechanic for BR. The second jump can be after teleport. This allows you to turn arround and look for the ball or to change your next teleport in air, while the ball is still following you.
    will you make a ball locking system, so you can pass arround the corner? (example https://www.twitch.tv/n0niz/v/47429254)
    will there a be a dodge jump with mutator? If not how can i dodge someone, who is playing translocator only?

I agree, the game is quite complicated at the moment. Maybe it helps to look at, what is the basic of BR and what makes it more simple without losing the basic. I hope we will have all the mutators to keep the UT2k4 BR alive.

What i wish:
    -Better ball locking. If i have 3 teammates in front, and i want to lock the middle one it should happen! And not randomly between those
    -The weaponswitch to the ballauncher, if you get the ball, has to be faster. This improves passing a lot
    -Better weapon impact would be great, if the ball lies arround or someone throws it without passing. I wanna stop a throwing 3 points with a rocket launcher

The spin is a nice idea, here are some suggestions:
    1. shock rifle spin: If you hit the ball on the left side, or right side
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6cd0c6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	345017Click image for larger version

Name:	6ebccb.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	345018

2. you movement has impact on your ball throwing. If you are dodging to the side while throwing, it has impact on the ball curve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	345019Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	345020Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	345021Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	345022

Another idea for the passing. One of the high skill in bombing run is to catch the enemies incoming locked pass. But often you just die after that like here https://www.twitch.tv/n0niz/v/48053918
    Like a small bonus, you could get a shield boost like 50+ shield. Or you could get a shield boost, depending on distance the ball flew already.

Anyway, sorry for being late. I didn't see this post before. I will follow it now
    Last edited by n0niz; 03-15-2016, 05:22 AM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No you couldn't put any spin on it at all. In fact, part of the reason punting was so incredibly hard and desirable is that you basically had to hit the ball dead center for it to work properly. I can only think of a few people who were good enough to do that consistently. Fortunately, one of them was on my team.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Brizz, was there english in the punts of yor? Honestly I can't remember... anyway
    I think it would be great if the english / spin subtly worked well upon hitting the ball non-center.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There wasn't a lot but in competition punting was a huge deal and teams actively tried to recruit people who were good at it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's been a while since I played BR.. but I don't think there was much velocity upon releasing the ball.. meaning it would be hard to add "english" on that type of ball release... I think the ball movement could be more affected by the shock / shombo's rather?? I'm sure open to new movement though.

Whatever it is, it should be well discussed / well thought out. There would be nothing more depressing than a half-arsed release of BR! :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just have the ball expand and contract! ... when in possession it contracts and when shot it expands!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Esula If you look at current Bio gun secondary fire, you might see what you're trying to say. Both player and world views show this green goo mass when you hold it. At the same time, this doesn't obstruct player view. About ball launcher, in UT2k4 player gets short written warning "Incoming Pass" and draws launcher only when he has the ball itself. Holding separate special weapon, drawing it (be that manually or automatically) to catch the ball would become inconvenient during firefight, as you become vulnerable way before you actually "ready to be vulnerable".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    Curve balls sound nice. But that shouldn't be fire modes. You your mouse to give it a spin. There should be the firemode to select player to pass the ball to.
    UT2k4 had locking on teammate with Mouse2 and passing him whenever you hit Mouse1. Back then, the ball slightly corrected its trajectory. It might be a good idea just to repeat locking and tossing a ball when facing teammate. But if we're looking for arch-curve trajectory, holding Mouse1 might do the trick. I mean, you aim at teammate, hold down Mouse1, move your mouse in desired side and release Mouse1. The game captures source and target coordinates, source angle and makes this arch. There might be added limitations on max angle and max distance though, just so you don't shoot at 180° angle and your ball makes hell of a flight to a teammate. I guess 45° would be more than enough (btw, when you toss a ball IRL, 45° up is the best angle and thus, max length with constant force)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Doesn't need to literally be the gravity gun, I'm sure someone could find a way so the ball can socket to/into the gun itself to take less space, maybe some weapon transform when you have the ball vs when you don't.

Though I think the benefit of having it on screen is the best way to let someone know they have the ball rather than text.
    Last edited by Esula; 03-06-2015, 03:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The problem with that is that it obstructs your view way too much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think a great way you hold, catch and throw the ball with the ball launcher could best work like the gravity gun in half-life 2. However everyone would need a ball launcher as default which is better IMO, I did find it strange that you some how pass the ball launcher as well as the ball I guess it would need to automatically pull it out if a perfect pass is thrown to you, maybe some benefits to catch it manually with the laucnher also?

Edit: just want to also mention a lock on mechanic could be nice like the rocket launcher for passing.
    Last edited by Esula; 03-06-2015, 01:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Isn't that already working? I think I used it several times.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I remember at one point in 2k3 or 2k4 someone mentioned something about having a way for your teammates to call for the ball and put an indicator on your screen. What do you guys think of something like that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X