Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Hydraulics Concept Arts request

I have seen some really killer concept arts in this section of the forum (and not only from Gooba ) and it kind of piqued my curiosity to see what you guys could do on a few screenshots of the map I'm designing: DM-Hydraulics. I was wondering if I could get some help with the concept arts since it's really not my field of expertise. I go by four general guidelines for the map:

(1) visibility is the top priority, the level should remain very clean visually
    (2) the level should be well lit with a few possible darker places like the bio room (third screenshot)
    (3) There should be one contrasting color, a slightly desaturated orange would be nice imo.
    (4) all visual elements should stick with the theme of hydraulics (pipes, pressure valves, turbines, tech panels, water, etc)

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/hadronanom...dm-hydraulics/

Concept arts by Geck (big thanks !)

Screenshots of Hydraulics

The closest concept arts I have found that I believe would be a good point to start from:

These are just concept arts I find cool and would probably fit the map, but I'm very open minded if you come up with something totally different that looks good ! I will work on my end also on the art side of the map and use this thread to post it, but it's definitely not my strongest skill. That's why I kindly ask for some help out here

Don't hesitate also to give ideas and help me brainstorm to determine what Hydraulics should look like if you want to !

Level design thread:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-dm_hydraulics

Music thread:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-DM-Hydraulics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raste; 03-16-2015, 07:22 PM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Im so pleased to see those first two concept screenshots show up again. They are awesome and what I would expect to see from the next UT. Nice work Raste the map is looking really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GnrlSpecific View Post
      Im so pleased to see those first two concept screenshots show up again. They are awesome and what I would expect to see from the next UT. Nice work Raste the map is looking really cool.
      Thanks ! Looking forward to see static meshes making their way into the map !

I'm starting easy with a few concepts for decals that you might find across the whole level. These decals will give information such as in which room you are, what you will find in it and where it leads to. For team play it's always easier to be able to refer to a room by a name rather than saying: "it's the room with the pumps on the side and the blue lights, ya know ?"

Room plates (8k x 3k resolution each)

Color codes:
      Grey: #313131
      Blue: #00baff
      Orange: #ff7800

All feedback is welcome !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Raste; 12-24-2014, 02:57 PM.
      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

I'm rusty, but I got a first prototype for the pillars used in the ramp area. To be improved on.

Attached Files
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Made a quick test with the high poly mesh of the pillars. Thoughts ?

Attached Files
          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

I say it looks odd, neither like a support pillar, nor like cable shaft between facility elevations.
            It's not practical to have angled shafts or support pillars, because of load distribution and stuff like that. Also there is frontal cover only that leaves all cables opened, which is something you won't see in real life too. Also putting six shafts in one room and placing them by the central axis of that room is not the way to design any engineering system - usually you have control room and equipment room as heart of system, connected to distribution boxes throughout facility, which, in its turn, connected to end devices. Cabling is done through various cable conduits (trays, tubes, hooks, etc), where interlevel transition is done through cable shafts, which are usually built-in into the walls and have limited access.

I know it's just a game, furthermore Unreal game, but there is nothing bad in having well thought out interiors. There are not so many examples of great realistic designs in games industry, given that it requires a lot of work and skill to pull off great background, many end up just looking sterile or overdesigned. I won't be surprised if most of the community maps will look like they were designed and textured in 1998, so bare minimum I hope to see in that game is that all light spots will have actual light sources, you know, a lamp or light panel...

You posted nice realistic concept art above, where you can see all vent ducts and panels, door panels, power panels, floor panels, displays, light sources, aged surfaces, etc - all these detail make it look real and futuristic, that's why it's great. If you going "real" in your level art design, it's time to decide what kind of facility it is (factory, lab, spaceship, mine facility, battleground, whatever), think about relevant engineering and check how it's done in real life or in some high budget movies or games, where you know a lot of work were put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosch View Post
              I say it looks odd, neither like a support pillar, nor like cable shaft between facility elevations.
              It's not practical to have angled shafts or support pillars, because of load distribution and stuff like that. Also there is frontal cover only that leaves all cables opened, which is something you won't see in real life too. Also putting six shafts in one room and placing them by the central axis of that room is not the way to design any engineering system - usually you have control room and equipment room as heart of system, connected to distribution boxes throughout facility, which, in its turn, connected to end devices. Cabling is done through various cable conduits (trays, tubes, hooks, etc), where interlevel transition is done through cable shafts, which are usually built-in into the walls and have limited access.

I know it's just a game, furthermore Unreal game, but there is nothing bad in having well thought out interiors. There are not so many examples of great realistic designs in games industry, given that it requires a lot of work and skill to pull off great background, many end up just looking sterile or overdesigned. I won't be surprised if most of the community maps will look like they were designed and textured in 1998, so bare minimum I hope to see in that game is that all light spots will have actual light sources, you know, a lamp or light panel...

You posted nice realistic concept art above, where you can see all vent ducts and panels, door panels, power panels, floor panels, displays, light sources, aged surfaces, etc - all these detail make it look real and futuristic, that's why it's great. If you going "real" in your level art design, it's time to decide what kind of facility it is (factory, lab, spaceship, mine facility, battleground, whatever), think about relevant engineering and check how it's done in real life or in some high budget movies or games, where you know a lot of work were put into it.
              Well, five months ago I barely knew Unreal Tech, two weeks ago I didn't knew about static meshes, and I'm in for another challenge. This is great feedback and a very interesting point you make. Time to pause the 3d modeling and dive into research.

The map is a hydraulic power plant. So mainly water turbines producing electricity. I have to check the requirements for turbines and water control, pumps and the security related to it. I will also make it look like it's aged and barely able to run, it makes good choice of arenas for the Liandry Corp. Thanks again !
              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

nothing wrong with the model itsself tbh
                smooth!

But rather with the placement. clearly that part above it needs some support.. As bosh stated those pillars don't really look strong support.. i'd go with something a little more solid.
                But it's your map
                BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

This is the first mesh I'm working on. I've not been making 3D stuff for a long while and it takes some time to get back to it. But before all it's a test to establish a working method to bring quality static meshes into the map.

Attached Files
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

That is impressive Raste. I'm hoping Epic will have a decent supply of meshes when they start putting out art content. Otherwise, I guess I have to learn how to make my own like you're doing.
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                      That is impressive Raste. I'm hoping Epic will have a decent supply of meshes when they start putting out art content. Otherwise, I guess I have to learn how to make my own like you're doing.
                      I wouldn't worry too much, there will be tons of assets made by both the community and Epic. But for the time being, work work work...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Raste; 01-04-2015, 04:55 PM.
                      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working on the corridor leading to the bio room. Showing a bit more guts and pipes, bit less clean than the rest of the design. This is a first iteration in low poly. Feedback is welcome !

Attached Files
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Got a bit more work done here, I started working on the high poly version. I added multiple types of details and rounded many edges. This will take so time to get right: I need to keep it clean while adding details so that it looks more realistic. Tough choices

Attached Files
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Added more details to the high-poly version, trying to stay clean. Got a bit more job on it to do, but it's way closer to what I had in mind

Attached Files
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

wow, how have I not seen this thread before? this stuff looks really awesome. keep up the great work

Comment

Working...
                              X