No announcement yet.

Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooo, I feel pretty bad about not giving that many updates lately. Not that I'm not working on the map, but because I've been making a tad of modifications that involve destroying quite a lot of BSP structure to fit in both new meshes and layout improvements. Here is an example (first pass on the current meshes here):

The belt balcony has been transformed into an outdoor route to connects to the link gun room (this has been made bigger and offers one more exit now). Also the lighting has been reworked quite a lot to allow more natural light in. I've started to remove and the lights that look "fake"; this process will be done several times until I'm happy with the lighting. Finally, I've started to work on the DNA of this room and the first meshes are getting in !

Let me know what you guys think !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raste; 05-23-2015, 05:01 PM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

All the mentioned changes are for the better

The new geometry / meshes in the belt room is a good idea and look much better
      Stevie's corner
      Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
      Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Pipes... pipes everywhere !

Testing some custom assets, made to be quite easy to reuse all over the place. Only three pieces:

- Straight tube
        - Angle joint at 45°
        - Angle joint at 90°

I will work on elements that can be placed in the middle of pipes (aggregators, rerouting, splitting, etc.) as well as elements of design that can go on the pipes themselves (cables, wall attaches, cooling bracelet, etc.)

I'm getting a good overview now on the design and meshing process, it starts to go faster now
        Attached Files
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Lovely pipes !

Dunno how to call this type of pipe, it as a "Y" or "T" shape. It would be perfect in your last picture at the right of your bottom left pointlight

I've looked around your 613 build and I must say that the layout alterations are better and the new meshes are nice too
          Stevie's corner
          Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
            Lovely pipes !

Dunno how to call this type of pipe, it as a "Y" or "T" shape. It would be perfect in your last picture at the right of your bottom left pointlight

I've looked around your 613 build and I must say that the layout alterations are better and the new meshes are nice too
            614 will be much better, I've figured out what was wrong with the area around the flak ramp and a bit of lack of connectivity in the map. I'm also trying to go faster with the geometry as I'd like to be able to finish the first pass of geometry / collisions quickly so that it can be played on servers.

For the pipes nothing is set in stone, but I'm working on it. Y shapes are indeed nice, but very situational imho. There might be better spots to use that. Pipes are a tough design element because it's really easy to over use them and mess up the mechanical logic of things. With time and effort it will be nice I'm sure. Plus when the design is more advanced, I'll try to see if Josh and/or Rick can take a look and give me some feedback
            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Nice work man, keep going
              DM-Campground_Intel QuakeLive | DM-Placebo_effect Quake 4
              Feel free to email me :
              axel[.]acquarone[@]gmail.com

Comment

Thanks to Gooba, I have a really nice concept for the turbines on the lower level of the map. The idea is to have these turbines go into the ground and show some mechanic/pipe work down there to make it believable. They look realistic yet slightly sci-fi, which is perfect imo ! (Thanks again Gooba for this )

Attached Files
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

First pass of modeling, it's not complete yet but I think it's starting to look quite badass Most of the objects are made from splines.

Attached Files
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Holy...!!
                    work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Yep, badass indeed !

Great concept and great modeling
                      Stevie's corner

Comment

First modeling pass is done. I'll try to import it in the map soon. I made this design actually modular, so you can choose the spacing between the turbines and the orientation.

Attached Files
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

very very nice hit me up when u get next release online.. eager to try!
                          BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                          DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Man it seems to me that you improved quite a lot on your modeling from the beginning of this post till now. Really great work, can't wait to see results!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagimare View Post
                              Man it seems to me that you improved quite a lot on your modeling from the beginning of this post till now. Really great work, can't wait to see results!
                              Thanks! I have improved indeed, I've been reading about good practice in modeling and CaptainMigraine really helps me a lot through feedback and showing me how clean modeling should look like.

I pretty much started from not knowing much in modeling to being able to create complexe pieces like the turbines. It feels great to see I progress. Next step is learning UV mapping

Right now I'm remodeling many assets I have made for the map to clean them up. Did quite a lot of rookie mistakes that need fixing
                              Last edited by Raste; 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM.
                              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

I've been working on getting older meshes I did in a better shape (massive cleanup). Among these meshes there were all the modular ones required to create the massive boards on the right side of the preview screenshot below. I not only cleaned up, but also started to refine a bit the design to get closer in terms of eye-guiding lines.

This is something I am experimenting with and it requires a lot of work on the lights to allow the player to unconsciously know in which direction the room is going. I used a couple of tricks such as using the square blue lights to highlight the right border and guide the player to the stinger. I also hope that this will give a better sense of depth to the players so that aiming with projectile-based weapon might be a bit easier.

Otherwise, it's overall an artistic process that takes a f****** lot of time to get the right mood while keeping everything logical (no magical light, everything has to come from a lamp, neon tube or natural light !). In any cases, I'm interested to know what you guys think about this lighting and colors:

1) is it clear / bright enough ?
                                2) are there spots that would need more light ?
                                3) is the depth added in the ceiling (pipes and hardware) not distracting you too much from the game ?
                                Attached Files
                                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working...
                                X