No announcement yet.

Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) I'd say it looks about fine, definitely shouldn't be any darker though, it's about on the border
    2) I think the number of small lights in the ceiling looks a bit excessive in amount, maybe remove 1-2 lights per rectangle and possibly tweak the light intensity slightly bit if it suffers as a result
    3) Definitely not, I think it's very welcome to make the map feel "deeper" and more believeable (a positive effect on atmosphere)
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 06-09-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      1) I'd say it looks about fine, definitely shouldn't be any darker though, it's about on the border
      2) I think the number of small lights in the ceiling looks a bit excessive in amount, maybe remove 1-2 lights per rectangle and possibly tweak the light intensity slightly bit if it suffers as a result
      3) Definitely not, I think it's very welcome to make the map feel "deeper" and more believeable (a positive effect on atmosphere)
      I'm making it slightly brighter, I also felt it was too dark. For the small lights I'd have to experiment, but I guess having 3 lights instead of 4 wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for your input
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
        1) is it clear / bright enough ?
        2) are there spots that would need more light ?
        3) is the depth added in the ceiling (pipes and hardware) not distracting you too much from the game ?
        1) Yes, for the current amount of meshs. It would be difficult to judge without materials but it looks sweet as is. Maybe a video of a player running through the location?

2) Blurring an image allows you to assess the overall contrast without getting hung up on the details. The original is layered at low opacity for this example so some of the detail remains. A similar idea to flipping text for kerning..

a) The dark grey material is very dark. Red box, floor and elsewhere. If you are going for less contrast overall I assume this is not final.

b) The two white bracketed areas are quite dark, mainly due to lighting. You could use the roof section in green brackets as the baseline for the "dark" areas.

3) No, in fact this seems an excellent place to add details as it typically away from the play area and minimally distracts from the players.
        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
          [...]
          1) is it clear / bright enough ?
          2) are there spots that would need more light ?
          3) is the depth added in the ceiling (pipes and hardware) not distracting you too much from the game ?
          This looks fantastic, Raste!

But now to answer your questions:

1) Yes, it's very easy on the eyes and the illumination seems good enough. Of course, things may change once you add textures, dirt and the like, so I suggest to pay attention on how this influences your map's visual clarity and adapt at least the lighting to this.

2) joellll highlighted that dark spot in a red box, I would suggest to add some light source there.

3) The depth is fine as it is now. As joellll said, it is far away from the battlefield and a good spot to add details - not to mention that the pipes in combinations with your detail lights nicely lead the player's eyes down the corridor. I would count that under good readability.

Pat yourself on the back, it's looking nice already!
          S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by joellll View Post
            1) Yes, for the current amount of meshs. It would be difficult to judge without materials but it looks sweet as is. Maybe a video of a player running through the location?

2) Blurring an image allows you to assess the overall contrast without getting hung up on the details. The original is layered at low opacity for this example so some of the detail remains. A similar idea to flipping text for kerning..

a) The dark grey material is very dark. Red box, floor and elsewhere. If you are going for less contrast overall I assume this is not final.

b) The two white bracketed areas are quite dark, mainly due to lighting. You could use the roof section in green brackets as the baseline for the "dark" areas.

3) No, in fact this seems an excellent place to add details as it typically away from the play area and minimally distracts from the players.
            Very interesting idea to blur things. I saw this in a computer vision class, but somehow forgot about it. I like how the lift on the left gets a lot of eye attention, this is important for the flow of the map as this path leads to the main room. The red box is clearly correct, I haven't meshed up this part yet (so no light source added). I only add lights when I have a mesh that supports it ^^

The two white boxes clearly show a lack of light, I'll work on getting it right. Thanks for this feedback, this approach is very useful !

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
            This looks fantastic, Raste!

But now to answer your questions:

1) Yes, it's very easy on the eyes and the illumination seems good enough. Of course, things may change once you add textures, dirt and the like, so I suggest to pay attention on how this influences your map's visual clarity and adapt at least the lighting to this.

2) joellll highlighted that dark spot in a red box, I would suggest to add some light source there.

3) The depth is fine as it is now. As joellll said, it is far away from the battlefield and a good spot to add details - not to mention that the pipes in combinations with your detail lights nicely lead the player's eyes down the corridor. I would count that under good readability.

Pat yourself on the back, it's looking nice already!
            Thanks mate ! I'm a believer that if the lighting look nice with BSP or simple meshes, it will be even better with high poly meshes. I am using this room to calibrate my lighting for the whole map so it' essential I get it right. After that I can always use post-process to add indirect light and such.
            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

I have no input in that matter, since joellll and sly pretty much said everything But I had an idea gameplay wise.

This thing right here

Will probably be those tv holograms of some sort. I was wondering if it would be cool gameplay wise, for that hologram to be a live tv for another part of the map (it could be some flying droid filming it lol). Let's say for example... where you get the flak (it has to be a place with good mobility to escape the area).

Imagine that there is a fight going on the flak area, and someone is passing by this room and checks the hologram. He would instantly go there. And it would be more interesting to have more of those TV Holograms. Since it forces people to just keep moving around the map, and not keep battling in the same place, because someone could just dive right into them.

Just thought I had right now, might not work
              Last edited by HeisenbergTrip; 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM.
              work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                Will probably be those tv holograms of some sort. I was wondering if it would be cool gameplay wise, for that hologram to be a live tv for another part of the map (it could be some flying droid filming it lol). Let's say for example... where you get the flak (it has to be a place with good mobility to escape the area).

Imagine that there is a fight going on the flak area, and someone is passing by this room and checks the hologram. He would instantly go there. And it would be more interesting to have more of those TV Holograms. Since it forces people to just keep moving around the map, and not keep battling in the same place, because someone could just dive right into them.

Just thought I had right now, might not work
                Thanks for the suggestion. I might make a hologram with a view of inside the trap, but it should remain discrete and not too much of a distraction. I'd have to check how you can do a rendering on texture with UE.
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Who said mapping isn't fun ? I've just been laughing at my pivot point decisions with this one ahaha

RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Map update is here: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post175268

You can now play through the latest iteration

RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Damne yes *-*

Comment

Coming along nicely there!

Altho, you might want to consider some pillar variants - those two in the screenshot look a bit odd due to the way both of them feature the same, slightly tilted...dunno, cable channel(?) in the camera facing direction; with the only difference between the two being that one of them is rotated. But then again, thats more the icing on the cake finish work; and certainly not a high priority.
                        Maybe make a simpler version of the pillars to throw around everywhere, and put one of those every now and then to have some variance? Maybe I'm the only one feeling a little awkward with that, but my immediate reaction would be "huh, didn't I just pass by that pillar back there?" since it kinda sticks out with that design. It looks neat, but not as the run-off-the-mill pillar thats in every corridor; more like a "whoops, we ran out of material and had to whip up something there" or "dang, we damaged that one during construction, fix it up" one-of-a-kind thing that's in one or maybe two locations only.

Comment

Originally posted by BhaaL View Post
                          Coming along nicely there!

Altho, you might want to consider some pillar variants - those two in the screenshot look a bit odd due to the way both of them feature the same, slightly tilted...dunno, cable channel(?) in the camera facing direction; with the only difference between the two being that one of them is rotated. But then again, thats more the icing on the cake finish work; and certainly not a high priority.
                          Maybe make a simpler version of the pillars to throw around everywhere, and put one of those every now and then to have some variance? Maybe I'm the only one feeling a little awkward with that, but my immediate reaction would be "huh, didn't I just pass by that pillar back there?" since it kinda sticks out with that design. It looks neat, but not as the run-off-the-mill pillar thats in every corridor; more like a "whoops, we ran out of material and had to whip up something there" or "dang, we damaged that one during construction, fix it up" one-of-a-kind thing that's in one or maybe two locations only.
                          I completely understand what you mean. The reason for it is that I did this pillar a long time ago when I just started learning how to mesh up a map. So I didn't had at the time my current "modularity-focused" mind. Hopefully in the future I'll get some time to revisit this mesh. But since it's already UV mapped and AO mapped (Thx CaptainMigraine !), I won't touch it just yet. As you said it's not the top priority

So far I've been working on a first pass of very low detail meshing (I believe I'm roughly at 35% of the work done). My goal is to quickly iterate on my designs by modifying the geometry as I want in a short time. Once this is done for the whole map, I'll do a detail pass and make sure I use as many polygons as the engine allows me to. I'd like to aim for 1.5 to 2 millions polygons in the viewport.

Right now I barely go above 300k polygons at a time, so you can picture in your mind the geometry quality and complexity leap that will happen once I'm starting to do the geometry detail pass. I do this to make sure I don't go beyond this limit while still reaching an amazing level of detail, even for the low-poly assets.
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

It's getting better and better. I finished the first pass on the windowed door at the end of the room. I'm planning on finishing the first modeling pass of this room by next week.

Attached Files
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Been doing some progress on that room. I have been thinking about the left part on the previous screenshot, and with the screens it has to be a workplace. Therefore it requires windows, screens, and some good lights. Finding an explanation for a room definitely helps designing correctly. It has a purpose and thus I get to know what kind of objects I can combine together to create a plausible environment.

WIP, as always

Attached Files
                              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Looking great Raste, keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                X