• Show
Clear All

Looking good, man.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Rick Kohler View Post
      Looking good, man.
      Thanks man! I got a good week of holidays now, I'll get a ton of things done in the map. I really want to try and finish the first pass of replacing the BSPs by my custom meshes
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Remove the bsp brushes they said... it will be fun they said...

Attached Files
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Great work on this Raste! Really looking forward to it.
          Stacey Conley
          -----------------------------
          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
          Epic Games, Inc.
          Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

I tried to play the map, mid section is very interesting but half of map doesnt make aense specially item placement. Where jump boots are, I get stuck in small jump pad hitting my head. I am unable to climb up on slope thats placed also near that jumppad. Its interesting map, but still alot to work on actual bsp and item placement. Also I was able to climb up in mid section on roof, with rockets.

Make a scratch in notebook and see what things should be changed to fit gameplay, also that alarm in middle scared the s*** out of me i turned it on by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
              Great work on this Raste! Really looking forward to it.
              Working hard on it!

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
              I tried to play the map, mid section is very interesting but half of map doesnt make aense specially item placement. Where jump boots are, I get stuck in small jump pad hitting my head. I am unable to climb up on slope thats placed also near that jumppad. Its interesting map, but still alot to work on actual bsp and item placement. Also I was able to climb up in mid section on roof, with rockets.

Make a scratch in notebook and see what things should be changed to fit gameplay, also that alarm in middle scared the s*** out of me i turned it on by accident.
              If you have any feedback, ideas or suggestions about item placement I'd be happy to consider and test them in the map. Tons of items in the map were placed a long time ago, some a while before I started to mesh the map. I know health distribution is too generous for example.

Also about the alarm, it's the desired effect

Finally, a small preview of what I'm working on during the holiday

Attached Files
              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post

Finally, a small preview of what I'm working on during the holiday

The scale and detail on this looks perfect. What I mean is, there is a good combination of chunky solid wall and pipes, as well as finer details like the thin stairs and accents on the pipes. This just gives the whole environment a very "rich" feel. Kind of like a drawing with thick accents and finer lighter details. The scale also feels naturally believable.

I don't really have anything constructive to build on what I just said. I just thought I'd explicitly point it out as something that I noticed that adds quality to the map. Sometimes design stuff can "hide in plain sight"

Great job man.

Comment

Originally posted by LostSalad View Post
                  The scale and detail on this looks perfect. What I mean is, there is a good combination of chunky solid wall and pipes, as well as finer details like the thin stairs and accents on the pipes. This just gives the whole environment a very "rich" feel. Kind of like a drawing with thick accents and finer lighter details. The scale also feels naturally believable.

I don't really have anything constructive to build on what I just said. I just thought I'd explicitly point it out as something that I noticed that adds quality to the map. Sometimes design stuff can "hide in plain sight"

Great job man.
                  For me this is very constructive feedback, because I'm getting to the part where it's easy to over do things and end up with too much visual clutter. I find the technique of having large, simple panels surrounded by tons of little details to work best. It's also much easier in terms of meshing and it support visibility.

I will have to complement this with a good use of colors when I reach the texturing part.
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Yep, this makes me want to make time to finish blocking out the map I started. Really awesome that your sharing as you go, looking really good! I agree, I like that you have big blocky shapes while mixing in a good amount of detail as well. If only there were more time in a day lol. Good luck!
                    https://brandonmichaels.carbonmade.com/
                    http://solarpurge.com/

Comment

Just curious, do you bake high poly on low poly? Are you using normal maps?

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                        Just curious, do you bake high poly on low poly? Are you using normal maps?
                        Not yet. This is only low poly + automatic UV from Maya
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Pretty good. It's going well.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                            Pretty good. It's going well.
                            Thanks! Lot of work for a newbs in 3D like me tbh. I've only started to learn how to UV map manually. I figured I'd do all the low poly work first since I'm starting to get good at it (though I need more training).

Patience is my strong suit
                            Last edited by Raste; 01-03-2016, 02:32 PM.
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Ran around the map the other day... Visuals are really coming together.

I really like how you have separated the areas with lighting, as I could tell where I was at without any textures. Really nice balance of clean shapes/detail and the spaces really fit the theme. It's looking awesome!

I'm excited to see the rest. Keep going strong!
                              Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                                Ran around the map the other day... Visuals are really coming together.

I really like how you have separated the areas with lighting, as I could tell where I was at without any textures. Really nice balance of clean shapes/detail and the spaces really fit the theme. It's looking awesome!

I'm excited to see the rest. Keep going strong!
                                Thanks man!

I found out that having no textures at all helps a lot to define room identity with the lighting only. I usually take a screenshot of the room I'm working on and blur it a tad in Gimp. This allows me to get a highlight map and I work with that to adjust the lights. I do not know enough about the theory of lighting, but I try to do my best to tweak it to complement the depth perception of the meshes. It's like having orange lights on near pipes and a distant, washed white light behind it to better showcase the distance between these. It's like having multiple layers based on the distance from the camera, and tint each of these with different lights and mood. Doing this for all room to all directions is tough! I also tend to use the color of the weapons to define an area (flak = yellow, rocket = red, bio = green, etc.)

It helps me also to play with the shadows by moving the lights (hence changing where I put the meshes for the light sources). When I'll be done with the first pass of meshing, I will focus a lot on these elements and make a complete pass only on the lights and mood. Hopefully soon!

Lighting is really tough and as I brainstorm more and more about the environment + sky for the map, I'm very hesitant to switch it to a night scheme. The industrial part of it would benefit because this means custom lighting all the way through, but I really like the sun rays in the trap room. I'd be curious to know your opinion on which time of the day the map should be set in.

In any cases your concept arts definitely put me on the right direction and I am really grateful to you for your help! I'm more than ever dedicated to go till the end with this map and learning the complete pipeline of making meshes.
                                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working...
                                X