No announcement yet.

Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some quick paintovers of the map, trying to channel the original reference. Didn't really change the underlying geometry much, this is more of an overall lighting, material, and texture pass over everything. These concepts are just suggestions but I hope it's of any help.

As for lighting, I don't think it should be switched to a night scene. You could still have a daylit exterior and relatively atmospheric interior. While painting over the screenshots, I really liked the light rays coming through from the outside.

Will try to do more as my schedule permits.

edit: accidentally removed attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eightball_; 01-18-2016, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Eightball, nice work, man. The hologram stuff is really cool and those coppery tones aren't something I'd normally gravitate towards, but they look really nice.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

OH ..... MY ....... GOD ! You made a fantastic paint over job ! Very Clean and good color choice (maybe to much Outpost like - orange, white -). Could we have larger version ? (1980x1080 ?) To see more details

EDIT : Raste gonna love it !

Comment

Originally posted by eightball_ View Post

Did some quick paintovers of the map, trying to channel the original reference. Didn't really change the underlying geometry much, this is more of an overall lighting, material, and texture pass over everything. These concepts are just suggestions but I hope it's of any help.

As for lighting, I don't think it should be switched to a night scene. You could still have a daylit exterior and relatively atmospheric interior. While painting over the screenshots, I really liked the light rays coming through from the outside.

Will try to do more as my schedule permits.

edit: accidentally removed attachment
          Much WOW!

I love what you have done with the place haha. I had in mind something pretty similar, but with less whitish parts (unlike Outpost 23). It's amazing how some of your concept are like the geometry I have but look so different. Definitely interested in seing more of these if you got some time for it!

Thanks a bunch for these, they look awesome!

Originally posted by [EPIC] Rick Kohler View Post
          Eightball, nice work, man. The hologram stuff is really cool and those coppery tones aren't something I'd normally gravitate towards, but they look really nice.
          To me it looks really fitting. Maybe a bit closer to one of the first versions of Outpost 23 you had with the black / orange contrasts.

Originally posted by Dizzi View Post
          OH ..... MY ....... GOD ! You made a fantastic paint over job ! Very Clean and good color choice (maybe to much Outpost like - orange, white -). Could we have larger version ? (1980x1080 ?) To see more details

You don't say haha
          RASTE IN PEACE !
          Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
          Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

That looks amazing! Well done, fantastic work.

Comment

Wow!!! I mean................................. WOW
              Stevie's corner
              Maps, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
              Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

This map is coming along nicely. You're an inspiration for me Raste. The fact that you're making this map while having to learn 3D modeling and texturing at the same time, is quite an achievement! I wish I had the same drive. (Although, I don't have a proper PC to begin with.)

Wow eightball_! That is such a great contribution. I really like the lighting and the color tones in these paintovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shletten View Post
                  This map is coming along nicely. You're an inspiration for me Raste. The fact that you're making this map while having to learn 3D modeling and texturing at the same time, is quite an achievement! I wish I had the same drive. (Although, I don't have a proper PC to begin with.)
                  Thanks for the kind words Shletten!

I guess you stop counting when you love what you do I never thought it would be so demanding, but when you see that it takes 2-4 months for the official team of 2-3 professionals to create one map with its assets, it's easy to picture that it can take a lot more for a single guy who is learning at the same time! I take this as a hobby, and UT maps have always been a source of admiration for me, I guess I want to prove to myself that I can do it too

In any cases I got a lot of support from the community and devs and the design seems to resonate with the environment artists from the community. Even if your pc is not up to date, plan this map of yours that you dream of in your mind, draw it even if you are bad at it, because you improve by training. You will have a clear idea of what you want and the opportunity to start working on it eventually
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] Rick Kohler View Post
                    Originally posted by Dizzi View Post

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                    Much WOW!

I love what you have done with the place haha. I had in mind something pretty similar, but with less whitish parts (unlike Outpost 23). It's amazing how some of your concept are like the geometry I have but look so different. Definitely interested in seing more of these if you got some time for it!

Thanks a bunch for these, they look awesome!

To me it looks really fitting. Maybe a bit closer to one of the first versions of Outpost 23 you had with the black / orange contrasts.

You don't say haha
                    Thanks guys, but it's really easy to paintover an already well-designed map. Raste, you've done an amazing job. Anywho, here are a couple more paintovers, this time experimenting with a green color scheme to veer away from the Outpost orange. I also tried what the exterior might look like, trying to keep with the clean industrial pipe theme.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys, but it's really easy to paintover an already well-designed map. Raste, you've done an amazing job. Anywho, here are a couple more paintovers, this time experimenting with a green color scheme to veer away from the Outpost orange. I also tried what the exterior might look like, trying to keep with the clean industrial pipe theme.

Just.... WOW (again).

I'm amazed to see the map under this new perspective, very interesting. I never thought of using green as a contrast color with orange, and tbh it's much better than I would have imagined. Seeing these new possibilities starts me thinking about what I really want color-wise for this map.

I like how you captured the environment outside of the map in the first picture. "Clean" is the word of the hour and I really like it. So far I've had a couple ideas on how I could create a fitting environment, you just brought a convincing one among them

The second paintover looks sharp with the screen, I like how you figured out what I wanted to do there, means the geometry fits. I am however less convinced by the all shiny floor. I'm wondering if a painted concrete with some metallic parts around pipes or for structures would not prove clearer from a gameplay perspective.

In the third paintover I'm just wondering a lot now about this bridge you just added in... I looks really good like this and pretty UT. It also divides the space a bit better and could bring a nice twist in terms of gameplay. This is giving me tons of ideas I could experiment with (since I'm still in the first pass of geometry, I can make adjustments).

In any cases I thank you for these, they are awesome! If you want to test new ideas for the colors (you're totally free to experiment ^^), and have the time for it, then I'd be glad to review them; it helps a lot to crack the problematic of the color palette I will go with when texturing the map.

P.S: if you have high resolution versions of these paintovers and the previous ones, I'd like to put them on my pinterest for the design of the map, with reference to you and your portfolio if you so desire.
                      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Oh...!!

Definitely op skills on this one. I sincerely love what you did, especially the first picture. Raste, imo, follow that direction. It feels UT and has a awesome balance between being clean and having detail. Awesome balance in colors too, never thought i would love the green look so much, but it makes it feel unique. Also, it's totally the unreal universe vibe. That smoke makes the Hydraulics be "alive".

The shiny floor you could try it, release a version with it? Would love to test it. In eightball's concept, it feels natural the shiny floor, but I agree on one thing: Gameplay first.

And I guess you found the solution for the outside of the map
                        work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                          Oh...!!

Definitely op skills on this one. I sincerely love what you did, especially the first picture. Raste, imo, follow that direction. It feels UT and has a awesome balance between being clean and having detail. Awesome balance in colors too, never thought i would love the green look so much, but it makes it feel unique. Also, it's totally the unreal universe vibe. That smoke makes the Hydraulics be "alive".

The shiny floor you could try it, release a version with it? Would love to test it. In eightball's concept, it feels natural the shiny floor, but I agree on one thing: Gameplay first.

And I guess you found the solution for the outside of the map
                          It will be a question of balance for the floors. The green is indeed very interesting, more than I'm willing to admit haha, the third concept art is really convincing. However I have issues with the glossy floors for these reasons:
                          1. It's overly shiny
                          2. Adds a lot of reflections which is bad for performance and visual clarity
                          3. Looks too much like outpost 23, I don't want to follow the same artistic direction and create more variety in the process
                          4. Looks a bit too far from the style of the original maps in UT99 (which I'm trying to revamp with the new visual tech of UE 4)
                          5. Reflections are nice, but I'm not making a demo scene for UE 4, it's a map Gotta be careful not to over use these cheap techniques to add realism.

Sure outpost 23 does use glossy floors almost everywhere, but again, they followed an artistic direction and I'm sure it's not going to be always the same in every map Epic does. I also believe that concrete floors can contribute to the modern industrial feel. I need to see it to be sure of it, but that's my gut feeling and I tend to follow these, they got me so far!
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

He did it again... amazing !
                            Stevie's corner
                            Maps, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                            Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Looks a bit too far from the style of the original maps in UT99 (which I'm trying to revamp with the new visual tech of UE 4)
                              This. How I would imagine floors on this map, would be light grey concrete with some cracks/stain/water puddles. This would be non-reflective surface. Something to show off the material possibilities, would some corroded metal edges on walkways, pipes and so on, which would have some remaining bits of shiny reflective metal bits (maybe even chrome-like) shining through the rust.

Anyways, so much well done in this thread, it's almost unreal...

Comment

It will be a question of balance for the floors. The green is indeed very interesting, more than I'm willing to admit haha, the third concept art is really convincing. However I have issues with the glossy floors for these reasons:
                                1. It's overly shiny
                                2. Adds a lot of reflections which is bad for performance and visual clarity
                                3. Looks too much like outpost 23, I don't want to follow the same artistic direction and create more variety in the process
                                4. Looks a bit too far from the style of the original maps in UT99 (which I'm trying to revamp with the new visual tech of UE 4)
                                5. Reflections are nice, but I'm not making a demo scene for UE 4, it's a map Gotta be careful not to over use these cheap techniques to add realism.

Sure outpost 23 does use glossy floors almost everywhere, but again, they followed an artistic direction and I'm sure it's not going to be always the same in every map Epic does. I also believe that concrete floors can contribute to the modern industrial feel. I need to see it to be sure of it, but that's my gut feeling and I tend to follow these, they got me so far!
                                I think you would be surprised at how glossy smooth cement in an industrial environment can be, they are typically well lit too. I honestly really like the reflectiveness but it doesnt need to be so strong and performance-wise UE4 is actually really good at doing reflections, Its the clean thing that gets me, it makes sense for places where you might be changing out seals but theres a dust you just cant get rid of.
                                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X