No announcement yet.

Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't really take the time with this new update to explain some of the modifications I've done and my thoughts behind the art. The first part that took me most of the work this is the boots room. From a gameplay pov, I wanted a place where the boots required a little trick jumping to get to without making them inaccessible for new players. Also I had to make sure it is impossible to grab the boots and use them immediately after that to prevent easy steals. From an artistic pov, this is a tricky place to mesh: it has to create the transition between the ground floor which is the trap and access to all the other locations with the underground that should highly picture machinery and pipes. So it's all about transitioning from a clean panel-made industrial environment to a messier, more "steam punk" and heavy visually kind of environment.

Since this is UT, I had to keep it relatively clean and for this I still use the same technique: mix large panels together and make the transition between these panels full of details to bring up the realism. Here I chose to load up the detail level of the roof since this is not a place that is supposed to be looked at all the time. I gave the same shape as the path you can travel on the ground level, so that seeing the curved pipes of the roof gives you hints on movements you can do to grab the boots. This is a passive way of telling to the user that they can go all around the wall.

I had long thoughts about the lighting of the roof: I also wanted to use light effects to highlight the transition between the levels. I managed this by poking holes in the ceiling to allow the player to view bits of the sky and brought generally a brighter, whiter kind of light up there. A bright light will give a notion of height: the brighter, the higher. This is used in game to fake shadow effects where the bottom part of the characters get darker colors. I tried to apply the same technique here, and that's why the part below the horizontal neon lights is darker. I used an unnatural light atmosphere to signify that the player is going to an underground, and the fact that the neon lights are horizontal passively help figure out the line between the natural light (the exterior, upper level) and the unnatural light (interior, lower level). Mixing both kind of atmosphere in one room is a challenge but I love the result. I will now have to do the same on the other side of the map, but with a different composition.

With the sky being blue, I chose to contrast it with tints of orange that are so dear to me because they create nice gradients of light when placed next to blueish colors. Also the orange brings hints of danger without really showing them. Going to the underground with all the machinery should not be a place everyone goes to. Finally, one big piece that slowed me down a lot was the model for the pillars. It took me a long while to figure them out because I was too tainted by the BSP geometry to see the real space I had at my disposal. I now destroy all the BSP and look at the place in a different way when I need to imagine what a mesh should look like. With these pillars, I wanted to reinforce the industrial theme and bring something with a shape less squarish than the rest to bring something softer in terms of curves. At the same time they had to keep their functionality as a trick jump support.

Coming up with this kind of rooms is a tough process for me, one which will get easier once I've done the first pass of meshing and lighting. In the mean time if you do not see frequent updates from me, well... you know why now don't you ?
    Attached Files
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

More stuff

Attached Files
      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Hey Raste, here's a paintover. I think the meshes are already there, now it's just about the lighting and texturing. Seen lots of high-quality maps with very simple meshes but intricate materials and lighting.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a bunch ! The lighting is very important indeed, and your concept arts help me a lot, so thanks for that
          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Hi Raste,

how is DM-Hydraulics comming along? You've been quite silent in the past reporting progress. I assume that meshing / BSP replacing is done now, and your'e spending all thoughts on designing materials ??

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
              Hi Raste,

how is DM-Hydraulics comming along? You've been quite silent in the past reporting progress. I assume that meshing / BSP replacing is done now, and your'e spending all thoughts on designing materials ??
              I am starting to like being silent haha, gets me more time to do my work. Almost done replacing the BSP, started UV mapping
              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Thanks for the update, and Good to hear that you still in it!
                Hydraulics will be a great map and a cool piece of work & art, and you will be proud to create this map in a one-man-hero-show .
                Last edited by Mr Van; 09-25-2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I really hope this map will be included in the official map list. I remember I played an old build some months ago. Did you improved the lifts as I suggested?

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                  Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I am still finishing to mesh the lifts, once done I'll make sure they are fast and feature a nice non linear movement
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Because I like it...

Attached Files
                      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                        Because I like it...

sleek, I like it

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                          Because I like it...

I can only imagine playing it... Hope to see this map back soon Raste!
                          LoPing
                          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

You will see it back for sure, soon I have no idea... awesomeness takes time you know

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                            I can only imagine playing it... Hope to see this map back soon Raste!
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Go for it, Raste! We are all exited how it will look once you did all your magic .... from pure mesh point of view it's already awesome, and you should be really proud of what you reached so far!

Comment

Anticipation is such sweet sorrow.. yet good to know it's in the works!
                                LoPing
                                Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                                X