Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulics Concept Arts request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I really like your eye for design, the mesh work is really brilliant I think and agree with what you posted. Just keep going!

    EDIT: In some spots it's maybe getting "borderline" cluttered so I'd avoid to make it any more so, for now it's fine but don't push it too hard. :P
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 04-14-2015, 01:21 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
      Very nice progress

      I'm wondering if your making the UV's as you build the meshes or it will be done later ?
      I use automatic UVs generation in maya for now, this allows me to quickly test the meshes in game and see if they are working or not. Proper UVs and high poly will come later along the road as I want first to establish the initial and original design of the complete map (so that the players can have a playable version)

      Also, without some predefined UVs UE4 will give you errors while importing your meshes (such as "degenerate tangents")

      Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      I really like your eye for design, the mesh work is really brilliant I think and agree with what you posted. Just keep going!

      EDIT: In some spots it's maybe getting "borderline" cluttered so I'd avoid to make it any more so, for now it's fine but don't push it too hard. :P
      The clutter limit is quite thin and **** easy to cross, but right now I'm making all the complex meshes for this area. So it's normal that it looks a bit overloaded in some spots. When I'm done with all these complex meshes, I will cover the rest with large simple walls to help the player's eye figure out in a jiffy a room.

      The design process is taking me ages and there are many meshes I've thrown to the trash because I wasn't pleased with them. Most of the time what you can see in my screenshots are the 2nd or 3rd iteration of design already. But I'm getting there. I'm focusing a lot on one part of the map for a couple of weeks, then I move to another.
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

      Comment


        I've been working further on the trap room and the BSPs are slowly disappearing. This will all be available in v608 (yes ChrisUT4, I'm preparing a pak).

        Map story

        I finally found a background story for the map:

        "New advances in power production put many plants under contruction to rest. These older designs - though working - presented security threats as their systems had to be manually purged periodically to avoid over-pressure. Due to the high number of accidents and casualties, these plants have been abandonned or sold for pennies on the table. The Liandri Corp immediately saw the potential for dangerous arenas, bloody "accidents", all at a low cost."

        New screenshots

        I've started the work on walls and floors. My idea remains the same: have large and simple panels on the walls with minimum details and then add up around these. I hope this will avoid visual cluster****s. Also, referring to the the decals I posted in the second post in this thread, the rooms are numbered, hence the 03 & 04 on the walls.







        Globally I also simplified the lights. I'm relying more on the directional light to create the mood and I tweak the spots that are too dark (take into account while meshing it up that it needs lights in the static meshes). Going this way I hope to bring more character to the map and make the lights "logical".
        Attached Files
        RASTE IN PEACE !
        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
        Weapon: Redeemer

        Comment


          Looking good, man. You've done a good job holding back on the detail. In OP23 we tried hard to keep the detail up and out of the way of game-play and even then we just added clumps of detail here and there. We'd add some, take some away. Add some back and hash it out with the level designers until everyone was pretty much happy. Hoses and pipes will do a good job of softening some of your hard edges.
          Last edited by Rick Kohler; 04-19-2015, 08:23 PM.

          Rick Kohler

          rick.kohler@epicgames.com

          Comment


            Looking really good! I think you can add more detail if you want, but it depends of the colors you choose and where you choose. That next step will be interesting to see.
            work: www.POLEGAR.pt

            Comment


              Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
              Looking really good! I think you can add more detail if you want, but it depends of the colors you choose and where you choose. That next step will be interesting to see.
              There will be more detail, but not detail that clutter the view. It will have to wait though, currently on military duty haha
              Last edited by Raste; 04-22-2015, 01:24 AM.
              RASTE IN PEACE !
              Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
              Weapon: Redeemer

              Comment


                Originally posted by Raste View Post
                Relit and more meshes in, starting to look like I dreamt it to be

                Flak would work like **** in there. Just sayin
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                  Flak would work like **** in there. Just sayin
                  And that's intended to an extent, then blocking volumes do the rest
                  RASTE IN PEACE !
                  Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                  Weapon: Redeemer

                  Comment


                    I really don't have much time lately (thx to the army), so I decided to add only a few new panels but try to play with colors and see what fits the best. Here I reused the colors from the concept art by Geck, and overall I like it. The yellow is really saying: "this is industrial", and it contrasts very well with the dark grey. The yellow parts can really show the way and be used to highlight / contrast gameplay elements. I want to explore a few atmospheres for the map and currently I focus on the trap room since it is where I have really a lot of meshes.

                    Attached Files
                    RASTE IN PEACE !
                    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                    Weapon: Redeemer

                    Comment


                      Well, yellow and black is the biggest contrast on our eyes. It can be hard for the eyes for a fast paced game like UT. Geck's concept has a good color balance in theory, there's strong yellows, and there's really light ones, and overall the combination with dark grey/black has a good feeling in the concept.

                      It will be a hard job, but i'm anxious to see if you can pull it off with this combination. You should really test a good variety of yellows and how the light ingame will affect it. I can check later in my notebook if still have my notes about this subject.
                      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                        Well, yellow and black is the biggest contrast on our eyes. It can be hard for the eyes for a fast paced game like UT. Geck's concept has a good color balance in theory, there's strong yellows, and there's really light ones, and overall the combination with dark grey/black has a good feeling in the concept.

                        It will be a hard job, but i'm anxious to see if you can pull it off with this combination. You should really test a good variety of yellows and how the light ingame will affect it. I can check later in my notebook if still have my notes about this subject.
                        If you have your notes, I'd be happy to take a look at them
                        RASTE IN PEACE !
                        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                        Weapon: Redeemer

                        Comment


                          Great work Raste. This map is great fun to play. Could you post a link to the music used in this map. I find the screen going up and down in front of me when I play this map. I think its from my head moving in time with the music. I dont know but the shade of yellow in the above post is perhaps a little too vivid (I think thats the right word). Yellow is great for the industrial look but that looks too clean and bright. The map is looking great though.

                          Comment


                            Hey Raste... I'm really fascinated by the work you're doing.. even watched the videos of your streams, which were quite helpful.

                            Regarding the weather setting, your map is placed in: how about some rain? could result in really nice and cozy effects on stuff like glass or whatever . Just an idea tho, because apparently you know pretty well what you're doing anyway. Would love to see the map finished!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by rawlph View Post
                              Hey Raste... I'm really fascinated by the work you're doing.. even watched the videos of your streams, which were quite helpful.

                              Regarding the weather setting, your map is placed in: how about some rain? could result in really nice and cozy effects on stuff like glass or whatever . Just an idea tho, because apparently you know pretty well what you're doing anyway. Would love to see the map finished!
                              Thanks ! Currently I have no defined plans for the skybox, but I make sure the map looks good whatever environment surrounds it. So I'll have a few iterations to experiment with this

                              Originally posted by GnrlSpecific View Post
                              Great work Raste. This map is great fun to play. Could you post a link to the music used in this map. I find the screen going up and down in front of me when I play this map. I think its from my head moving in time with the music. I dont know but the shade of yellow in the above post is perhaps a little too vivid (I think thats the right word). Yellow is great for the industrial look but that looks too clean and bright. The map is looking great though.
                              The music link is in the OP. The yellow material is only a visibility test right now, I'm using plain colors only to quickly see how it looks
                              RASTE IN PEACE !
                              Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                              Weapon: Redeemer

                              Comment


                                Thanks Raste, silly me, I shouldve noticed the link when I first posted in the thread.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X