Question for a guide to make meshes for UT maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for a guide to make meshes for UT maps

Hi, I am an environment Artist/Level designer at an indie studio and i would like to make some props/environment pieces for UT maps. Should i just start to make some Walls/Textures or is there something more structural what should be in a set?

Originally posted by Mac_Orion View Post
    Hi, I am an environment Artist/Level designer at an indie studio and i would like to make some props/environment pieces for UT maps. Should i just start to make some Walls/Textures or is there something more structural what should be in a set?
    A set should be modular. That's the priority. So if you want to make a wall, actually make 3 or 4 pieces that can be combined into a wall. Same applies to floors, lights, windows, etc.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

And while making geometry for wall make sure it will look good on 3 meter high wall and 12 meter high wall.
      Unofficial Enforcer Model
      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Walls and trim pieces is always a good start! Make sure that they are on the grid and the pivot points are all the same so they can snap together.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaMarlow View Post
          Walls and trim pieces is always a good start! Make sure that they are on the grid and the pivot points are all the same so they can snap together.
          Started all wrong making meshes, but ended up working like that with the pivot points to make every asset as modular as possible - And fitting the grid. Do you guys start with very simple meshes first to test how it looks and plays in the game before putting more efforts into geometry detail ? I'm talking like not even low poly, but more like collision meshes to test in the actual map.
          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Nice references indeed. I ended up realizing that meshing is like object-oriented programming: composition over inheritance haha.
            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Yeah those references are really nice, Right now I'm working on some Hat, just to get familiar with the engine, but I'll start soon to make some highpolys and see where it brings me.

Comment

I'd suggest opening the editor and breaking down outpost23 and all its assets.
                With this you'll be able to find out dimensions, modularity and other environment related info.
                3d Artist
                UT Cosmetic Items |
                UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

One great idea for peeps who can go high quality static meshes out here is to create sets of modular meshes with different themes. This would help a tad the mappers who don't always know how to do it (hell, I only know how to do modeling, not the rest of the stuff)
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

@ Tidal Blast; that tutorial you "are currently working on" could be useful.

The 1 thing i need a tutorial on, or just a little help/ nudge in the right direction is this:

• How do i manually Unwrap a 3D model (using user created seams), and get both the lightmap UV and the UV template for texturing. - It's the only reason i don't make 3D models.

Example:

- Could you draw blue lines onto this image to show where the seams should go? and then explain it.
                    - i have provided a drawing of 2 seams that i know will work for lightmap and be easier to texture, but i fail at the rest
                    - i need the information to be transferrable to all models. So i can understand where and why seams need to be placed.

Thanks
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by TKBS; 06-14-2015, 05:46 AM.
                    Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

• Unwrapping is easier to do on textures that you can planar map or make planar textures, like the example you posted, but i do not understand how this can be achieved using more complex and organic stuff.
                      • If those breasts were 34dd+ and you wanted to Unwrap to enable texturing right in the cleavage, or under the breast... or with my rock example posted earlier.

^^ in the image you can see the method you posted would work. The entire model can be seen top down, so unwrapping a (flat) planar projection map is easy. That island is made using a simple black and white mask texture, no need to texture it as such.

- But in my example where the rock folds back on itself my usual methods are not appropriate so i am stuck,
                      i.e. because the protrusions need to be different from the recessions.

Here's a quick example:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZl...ature=youtu.be
                      Attached Files
                      Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

I kind of don't understand the question, what's the problem? Unwrapping a rock or something organic like that isn't fundamentally any different than unwrapping a head or whatever. It's somewhat tedious, requires splitting some vertices, doing a cylindrical or spherical unwrap, moving vertices around, applying a relax modifier etc, but you will get seams and some stretching. If you check out the rock assets Epic made for the particle cave demo, they all have a long seam running down one side. The trick is probably to put the seam somewhere where it won't get noticed. My tip would be don't spend too much time on it unless it's a very important asset for a scene. Rocks and things like that are very forgiving when it comes to sloppy UVs.

Here's a rock I made... I think it looks relatively ok--

--but there's a long seam down one side and some stretching on it. But you generally don't notice unless you go looking for it. And the UV unwrapping was done almost entirely automatically in zbrush

Also, for practical purposes, you should probably make your cave entrance out of several rocks that you intersect together, instead of making a single mesh for the entrance. Check out the demo in the editor, it's very instructive when it comes to this sort of stuff. It'll save you time and you won't have to make a separate collision mesh. That is, unless you're something very specific with the entrance, like having carvings or whatever there.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Quotidian; 06-14-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

@ Quotidian:
                          Congratulations on your ability to make 3D models Quotidian and nice big images you have presented, but The only image i am interested in is the seams....
                          and p.s. seamless textures on rocks like you posted is child's play.
                          unless you're something very specific with the entrance, like having carvings or whatever there.
                          ^^ that's basically where i'm going with this, but the key is getting a nice texture and lightmap in the same UV

Tidal blast's idea of working in chunks seems to be the best way (Pun unavoidable). I am just going to use the basic box unwrap principle, applying to the principle to every angle. Sadly the chances for seams in the texture dramatically increase.

as seen below:

Thanks for the input everyone
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by TKBS; 06-15-2015, 03:49 AM.

Comment

what's with the attitude?

p.s. seamless textures on rocks like you posted is child's play.
                            That's kind of the point, isn't it (although the rock I posted doesn't have a seamless texture on it.) Your cave entrance isn't any more complicated, unless you're doing something extremely specific that you haven't mentioned yet. As far as I can tell, the only thing you need to consider if you want to use the same set of UVs for lightmaps and texturing is that you don't overlap and you have padding around UV islands to avoid bleeding artifacts
                            Last edited by Quotidian; 06-15-2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

what's with the attitude?

- i cannot be held accountable for your misinterpretation

Your cave entrance isn't any more complicated

prove it:
                              http://www.mediafire.com/download/ufkbiupxigc095o/Cave_Entrance_High_LowPoly.rar

^^ i don't want you to do it for me (but you will have to do it to be able to prove it i suppose), i want you to explain how you did it so i can do it myself and apply the knowledge to other complex shapes
                              video's would be best; images are acceptable with info.

The result of the uv texture template should allow me to do this:

and that is the information that should be included in the tutorials suggested by this thread. The whole point of the topic here is to help people (suggest info for tutorials), not telling people things can be done with statements that are not backed up by useful information or by making comparisons to other work that isn't even in the same ballpark

To quote tidal blast would be best because i feel you haven't read much of this thread, or you missed the point.

we need more people focused on doing what needs to be done, including sharing information and teaching others how to produce high quality work.
                              Thanks

UV unwrapping is complicated because there are 50million and 1 ways to do it and every model realistically only has 1/50million that will actually produce the best result
                              • seams (manually placed)
                              • uv mapping (the modifier)
                              • uv mapping individual polygons (selecting polygons then adding the modifier to the stack)
                              • the texture
                              • the lightmap
                              • using multiple channels
                              • automatic unwrap (using normal, )
                              • unwrap via faces
                              • unwrap from x, y, z.
                              • flatten mapping, unfold mapping, normal mapping

the list goes on and on

p.s
                              working in chunks failed.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TKBS; 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X