Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM_City_Block Map?

Hey guys,

I'm an environment artist, and i was thinking that for my final quarter in school, i might make a small map for UT. The idea in my head right now is a small 4 player DM arena. I hope to design the level as well as create all the art assets for it. I'm going to try and create a few blockouts and get some feedback from you guys before i get into the art.

The two main ideas running through my head at the moment are a sci-fi city block or a cyberpunk bar/nightclub, would these ideas be acceptable for a UT map?

Click image for larger version

Name:	alexander-chelyshev-streets-s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	355578

Click image for larger version

Name:	cyberpunk__night_club_by_dsorokin755-d75lf02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	355579

Could look nice ! Just remember to stay away from the visual cluster-fu** UT3 was. So keep it clean visually and very intuitive with clear landmarks to ease orientation.

Good luck !
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

I loooooove city-based maps, something along the lines of the first screenshor (Deus Ex-esque) is something I'm hoping to make for my own map! Will try and keep it simple though. Looking forward to your designs
      Last edited by DisaFear; 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I think either style could work and be really interesting! Though I think with both you will have to be very careful about the 'visual clarity' in the environments if you want to make a playable map which players will want to play. So far successful map visuals in UT4 are mainly using high frequency detailing (surface texture details, scratches, rivets, panel lines) and low frequency detailing (columns, large pipes, platforms, door frames, wall sections, floor panels) predominantly and keeping medium frequency details (ones which are player-sized) to a minimum and tucked away in corners out of the way where players can't typically be.

I think this will definitely be your main concern in creating either environment. If you look at the city image, you could see how it might be hard to distinguish a player from the environment if they're standing in front of a detailed or illuminated store front, whilst details above and outside the play area like high up windows, AC units, drain pipes wouldn't be as obtrusive. The same pretty much goes for the nightclub environment, plus things like chairs and tables and poles would probably have to go for the sake of gameplay and reducing clutter. It needs to be a combat arena first.

Lighting is also going to be a major concern with these environments, they must be well lit, but not have too much striking contrast in the lighting as it will create high contrast visuals which are distracting, a dimly lit wall between two bright neon lights could hide a player in plain sight, for example.

Comment

I will also put my vote in for a 'city' or 'urban' style map. I love the look and the culture of a massive metropolis, damp from a rainstorm, neon and LED signs everywhere...

Comment

Haha, Been a long time since i started this thread, but I'm going to try and iterate through some level design and see whats fun and take it from there. Also, if i'm not mistaken one of the LD's at HQ has a shell for a cyberpunk city type map already finished. I remember seeing him show it off in one of the twitch streams.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoram20 View Post
              Hey guys,

I'm an environment artist, and i was thinking that for my final quarter in school, i might make a small Map of Lakes in South Carolina. The idea in my head right now is a small 4 player DM arena. I hope to design the level as well as create all the art assets for it. I'm going to try and create a few blockouts and get some feedback from you guys before i get into the art.

The two main ideas running through my head at the moment are a sci-fi city block or a cyberpunk bar/nightclub, would these ideas be acceptable for a UT map?

Hello
              Can you make a map of london as i want to go for holidays .

Comment

IDK abort a bar/nightclub as a map might be a but clutterd but a city map like the 1st bit of art would be cool i might have a go at it as soon as i finish of some othere things and get some more skills :P

Comment

Working...
                X