Maps taking place in planets from the Unreal universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maps taking place in planets from the Unreal universe

Since I've been playing the Unreal franchise for about 2 years, I had an idea to have maps taking place in planets in the Unreal universe that have an interesting environments and maybe only mentioned or shown once on certain maps.

Here's a few examples:

-Alleria
    -Kryllia
    -Vandaron 3
    -Zeus 6
    -Taron
    -Vesuvius 9
    -Taryd (shown in UT3 maps)
    -Coret (a frozen moon)
    -Sanctuary
    and so on.

It can also be planets that are mentioned and shown frequently in the franchise such as, Na Pali (Unreal).

Tell me what planets you what to take place in. I would love to know more about them!

Feel free to reply!
    Have fun fragging in the tournament! - ShrapnelAD aka "FlakTaryd" or "FlakT"

I think indicating what planet, moon, etc each map is on would be an interesting way to add depth to the tournament story without needing to really do much at all. During the map load it could say something like:

Coming up next, broadcasting from Taryd:
    DM-CarbonFire

If you're going to include moons, naturally don't forget Phobos and Deimos.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I could do the same thing, including moons for a map to be on.

So how did the planet names got the names, like Vandaron 3 or Taryd, during the development
      of the Unreal games?

Btw, I'm creating an Earth-like moon with inspiration of the Unreal franchise.
      I'm doing concept art on my sketch book and I'm trying to come up with a name for it.
      Last edited by ShrapnelAD; 04-29-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Personally, I think this is a terrific idea! In the map properties, there should be a 'Fiction' subset of properties.

So you have like:

Fiction Properties
        -Fiction\Description[level summary goes here]
        -Fiction\Organisation[cooperate owner goes here]
        -FictionLocation
        --FLocation\Planet[planet name goes here]
        --FLocation\Region[country or continent goes here]
        --FLocation\LocalName[name of specific location goes here]

It would have really convincing generic defaults so if a mapper forgets to set them, it still looks fine.

Comment

Nice idea indeed I think my map would be have to be from the same frozen moon as Coret.
          Win 10
          iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
          3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
          32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
          DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
          2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Originally posted by ShrapnelAD View Post
            So how did the planet names got the names, like Vandaron 3 or Taryd, during the development
            of the Unreal games?
            In the case of Taryd I am guessing they simply extrapolated it from "tarydium" which was the precious resource being mined in the original games.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
              In the case of Taryd I am guessing they simply extrapolated it from "tarydium" which was the precious resource being mined in the original games.
              Originally posted by effects69 View Post
              Nice idea indeed I think my map would be have to be from the same frozen moon as Coret.
              Would it be a stretch to say that Corret is on Hell, the ice moon from Unreal 2?

Comment

Coret itself is a frozen moon, the Coret Facility and Ice Station Zeto are both located there.
                Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 04-30-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

While Coret is a frozen moon, it had snow precipitation as seen in Ice Station Zeto.

Taryd, as obvious, is named after "tarydium". But I'm not sure about other planets, like
                  Vandaron 3, Taron, or other planets that got the names originally. Maybe inspirations, idk.

I would like to have more maps taking place on Coret. Coret FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    I think indicating what planet, moon, etc each map is on would be an interesting way to add depth to the tournament story without needing to really do much at all.
                    It's really shallow when every story ends up being in Tattooine or New York City.
                    I've always seen this as just playing it safe. (A galaxy of a million worlds! You'll only ever see the three you already know about.)

That said, the only planet that has this kind of "safety" for Unreal is Na Pali. A previously unknown border world that was the site of maybe one interesting event and that no one recognises when it gets remade anyway.

Comment

This is an excellent idea!
                      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                        This is an excellent idea!
                        The thing about basic data like this, is that it allows for tons of expansion in the future. Epic could package a 'NaPali' map pack as easily as combing the map properties. Or modders could make great in-game menus that take advantage of the property data.

The possibilities are endless, and this isn't particularly hard to implant this sort of property data.

Comment

It may be a far stretch, but it'd be pretty interesting if someone could make a map of the Unreal universe to see where each planet and system is located relatively.

Maybe something like this, but zoomed in more:

Then link this imagery back to the map list bio section and put it near the screenshot preview. I also think the filters idea and expanded map properties is fantastic. It'd work very well for people with hundreds of maps and help add more to the lore without complicating things.
                          Attached Files
                          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

That's a lot of planets in that universe! Oh my, can't keep track of them bit by bit!

Comment

Working...
                            X