No announcement yet.

Sig's Environment Art Meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to update this thread. I have started meshing the first room on my level. I will be making all the pieces in this level modular. I know there are a lot of great pieces from DM_Outside but I figure we could use some additional things such as arches, archways, columns, and decoration pieces. What you see here is a first rough-draft pass at a column and an arch. No custom materials work yet as I was simply nailing down rough shapes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xIc7WHf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	341695

Comment

This is looking really sweet Sigmafie! Keep going, I'm looking forward to more assets of that kind!
      S l y .

Comment

Those pillars are great! It doesn't matter there are great pieces in Outside, it won't be fun to have all maps look the same. Really looking forward to what you'll be making next. Modular pillars and decorative trims are always in high demand.

How will you distribute your stuff when it's finished? Marketplace? Or free on demand?

Comment

Nice work. I agree, I don't want to see too many outpost assets in newer maps More meshes are always awesome, keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
            Those pillars are great! It doesn't matter there are great pieces in Outside, it won't be fun to have all maps look the same. Really looking forward to what you'll be making next. Modular pillars and decorative trims are always in high demand.

How will you distribute your stuff when it's finished? Marketplace? Or free on demand?
            I will most likely place them here first as an on demand (via dropbox or something); a long-term solution will be to place them on the market place together.

Originally posted by zedmaster View Post
            Nice work. I agree, I don't want to see too many outpost assets in newer maps More meshes are always awesome, keep going!
            Thanks! I will keep going.

EDIT

Click image for larger version

Name:	fEqmpNS.png
Views:	2
Size:	949.8 KB
ID:	341762

Testing some interior arches designed in a modular set-up.

EDIT #2

Below are the ionic columns in high poly and in-game asset almost ready for release.

Last edited by Sigmafie; 10-05-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Good work so far!!!! Some broken versions of these assets would be nice, too!!!!

Comment

Awesome stuff

Comment

Everything is looking good Sigmafie! We are still working out mesh and texture guidelines. The usual way that we have done it is to make it look as nice as possible, mesh the level, then go back and optimize as needed. However, the good rule of thumb is always make it look as nice as possible with as little as possible.

The other thing you want to remember is always keep in mind how an asset will be used and how much screen space it will take up. It's easy to go overboard when you are zoomed in on a model and analyzing it as a piece of art by itself, only to realize in the grand scheme of things once added to the level it didn't need that level of mesh/texture resolution.

Regardless, there are things you can do after importing your assets to ensure they are efficient, setting up good LOD's being the most important one. Never trust the LOD distances that UE4 auto generates, always tweak them by hand after creating them using your own artistic judgment.

Making a bunch of "set pieces" is a great idea and will add a lot of value to the community so what you are doing is great. Once you get stuff in game post your stats for each object (texture res & vert count) and that will help us guide you further in creating optimized content for levels.

Adding easily tweakable functionality in your objects is super helpful too. For example on the alarm light don't bake the color into the texture, use a mask and a color node in the material so people can set it to whatever they want, stuff like that. The more flexible and customizable you make your assets the more valuable they are to level designers.

Keep up the great work!
                  Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                  Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                  Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Hey Sig, nice work. I've been popping in here off and on since you started this thread. I really like your castle stuff. In addition to what Pete said, think about how much re-use you can get out of each object. For example, could your brazier mesh be used as a pillar base or something if the metal brazier wasn't attached to the top? *Can you break that in to two separate meshes? Stuff like that.

IMO, I'd take some detail out of your power up base and things that you're sure will stay small in a level. What ends up happening with things like that is that you end up with all this nice detail packed into a very tiny object that is then placed on a floor that has a large, tiling texture on it, and the difference in pixel densities is very noticeable. Some of that is unavoidable but you can take steps to mitigate it.

Generally speaking, when I'm making assets I try to set up a little vignette level to see how everything works together. Otherwise you could end up with a bunch of assets that work well individually but maybe not so well as a group.

Other than that, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. I'd love to see the castle stuff brought to completion and seen in an art test level or something.

re budgets, etc. Pretty much what Pete said. There are no hard and fast rules these days. Everything is about trade offs. You can use more of X if you use less of Y, etc. Try to get the most bang for your buck with triangles, materials, etc. Be sane. Does this pebble really need a 4096? Stuff like that.

Good work, man.

More please.

*I just saw a thumbnail where you had the
                    brazier broken into separate pieces. Not sure if that's how you made the final asset but that's how I'd do it.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                      We are still working out mesh and texture guidelines. The usual way that we have done it is to make it look as nice as possible, mesh the level, then go back and optimize as needed. However, the good rule of thumb is always make it look as nice as possible with as little as possible.

The other thing you want to remember is always keep in mind how an asset will be used and how much screen space it will take up. It's easy to go overboard when you are zoomed in on a model and analyzing it as a piece of art by itself, only to realize in the grand scheme of things once added to the level it didn't need that level of mesh/texture resolution.

Regardless, there are things you can do after importing your assets to ensure they are efficient, setting up good LOD's being the most important one. Never trust the LOD distances that UE4 auto generates, always tweak them by hand after creating them using your own artistic judgment.

Making a bunch of "set pieces" is a great idea and will add a lot of value to the community so what you are doing is great. Once you get stuff in game post your stats for each object (texture res & vert count) and that will help us guide you further in creating optimized content for levels.

Adding easily tweakable functionality in your objects is super helpful too. For example on the alarm light don't bake the color into the texture, use a mask and a color node in the material so people can set it to whatever they want, stuff like that. The more flexible and customizable you make your assets the more valuable they are to level designers.
                      Thanks for the feedback YemYam. It is appreciated greatly. I will do as you suggest, and have already read up on creating masking nodes for purposes of allowing easy-to-alter assets. I will incorporate this into my current workflow asap. I agree about the mesh and textures' resolutions being dependent on the use of the object. This is something I try to maintain a sense of and will continue working on improving. I don't recall if I had baked at 4K resolutions on the two released objects or not (I think I did for purposes of allowing other artists to alter them according to their usage). Perhaps the better solution is to include a reduced version for easy plug-in-play uses and full resolution versions for other artists desiring to alter it. In either case, it is something I will be aware of.

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                      Hey Sig, nice work. I've been popping in here off and on since you started this thread. I really like your castle stuff. In addition to what Pete said, think about how much re-use you can get out of each object. For example, could your brazier mesh be used as a pillar base or something if the metal brazier wasn't attached to the top? *Can you break that in to two separate meshes? Stuff like that.

IMO, I'd take some detail out of your power up base and things that you're sure will stay small in a level. What ends up happening with things like that is that you end up with all this nice detail packed into a very tiny object that is then placed on a floor that has a large, tiling texture on it, and the difference in pixel densities is very noticeable. Some of that is unavoidable but you can take steps to mitigate it.

Generally speaking, when I'm making assets I try to set up a little vignette level to see how everything works together. Otherwise you could end up with a bunch of assets that work well individually but maybe not so well as a group.

Other than that, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. I'd love to see the castle stuff brought to completion and seen in an art test level or something.

re budgets, etc. Pretty much what Pete said. There are no hard and fast rules these days. Everything is about trade offs. You can use more of X if you use less of Y, etc. Try to get the most bang for your buck with triangles, materials, etc. Be sane. Does this pebble really need a 4096? Stuff like that.

Good work, man.

More please.

*I just saw a thumbnail where you had the
                      brazier broken into separate pieces. Not sure if that's how you made the final asset but that's how I'd do it.

Rick,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will work on those things you mentioned and agree with your analysis of the power-up base (among other assets). The brazier will be broken up into individual pieces with the pillar as one, the brazier in two forms as the other element, and possibly a "fallen apart" version depending on how quickly I can tackle it. More will be coming and I hope to surpass the high quality standards that you and the team have set. I have begun setting up an art-test level to show how the pieces potentially may fit together to create a theme. For now, I will be returning to many of these pieces to complete and bring them in-game fully while thinking on additions to the castle theme.

I look forward to continued discussion with you, YemYam, other team members, and community members.

Comment

Feel free to ping me any time, man.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Sexy work there. I'll keep an eye on your thread. Great stuff.

Comment

This stuff looks great! Will keep an eye out

Comment

Working on some materials to begin incorporating into levels. These are currently in Substance Designer, but I will be working on importing them into Unreal Tournament and setting-up a package. Have not abandoned all the meshes, just felt like I was hitting a wall (materials) and decided to practice that so I can finish the meshes properly.

Comment

i already feel like playing ancient tournament 4

get dem futuristic things flowing

Comment

Working...
                                X