No announcement yet.

Everything is better ON FIRE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat. Volume was a bit quiet tho. Anyway, imo the biggest thing working against this is the limitations of displacing polys, ie they just resemble big stretched out rectangles to some extent more than having any actual waviness to them. I wonder if this is something that can be dealt with using post process.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      Neat. Volume was a bit quiet tho. Anyway, imo the biggest thing working against this is the limitations of displacing polys, ie they just resemble big stretched out rectangles to some extent more than having any actual waviness to them. I wonder if this is something that can be dealt with using post process.
      I'm working on a way to distribute the geometry a bit better. But one of the main limitations is the mesh the fire is assigned to. The skeleton is fairly concave and low-poly. It's a bit of a worst-case scenario, but on more convex meshes with a bit more geometry to work with, it looks more natural. Not perfect! But compare the fire on the skeleton versus Evil Tae. Evil Tae has much more geometry to work with.

Comment

Yeah I'm not saying it looks bad, because it's quite clever as it is and will be cool in the right usage cases for sure. IMO a lower height flame will probably hide a lot of the flaws in this, but as you said a more dense mesh will too. When you cranked up engulf, ironically I thought that worked better because you only see the tips of the flames then not the straight edges so much. Whereas you think the opposite.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          Yeah I'm not saying it looks bad, because it's quite clever as it is and will be cool in the right usage cases for sure. IMO a lower height flame will probably hide a lot of the flaws in this, but as you said a more dense mesh will too. When you cranked up engulf, ironically I thought that worked better because you only see the tips of the flames then not the straight edges so much. Whereas you think the opposite.
          I really REALLY appreciate the feedback, so I'm quite happy if you want to tear it apart. It only makes me want to push the material even further. I'll see if I can implement new features/QC tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
            I'll see if I can implement new features/QC tonight.
            What about ashes and/or sparkles particles that have the same direction of the fire shader? Their color could be the same of the fire, or a different shade of it (darker/lighter).

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Working...
            X