Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaos looking for help with effects

Everything needs effects!

The Chaos team hopes to deliver a pretty large mod. We've been at this UT4 version for 2 years, and still chugging along. We're on test build #20 as of now.

We have 8 relics, we're planning a full arsenal of weapons, and hopefully game types too. And there are always other items & features as well. And every bit of it needs some nifty effects.

If you can do this kind of stuff, and are interested in joining our team, we've got plenty of work for you.

Everyone who contributes also gets a voice in design discussions, so you can have a say in how the mod proceeds.

There is a general recruit thread here;
    http://www.forums.chaoticdreams.org/...p=71958#p71958

If you're interested, contact anybody on the team in whatever manner you wish.

............punch and pie.

I don't have any SFX skills, sorry! :\

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I'm good at character design ...but what kind of effects do you need? Any samples?
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

You might checkout Luos over on the engine forums. He does some awesome stuff (and is great to study if you can keep up w/ his videos).

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmafie View Post
          You might checkout Luos over on the engine forums. He does some awesome stuff (and is great to study if you can keep up w/ his videos).
          Ha... the Photoshop part isn't a problem but ...**** 3D-edit and scripts are above me.

But [MENTION=7104]R.Flagg[/MENTION] should ask this Luos guy. Those effects are awesome.
          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Hey, I cant offer any dedicated time, but ANY of my effects you see on these forums are A-okay for you to use. If I haven't put up links, just remind me and Ill get you a download.

Comment

[MENTION=18574]KazeoHin-TechAE[/MENTION]

You created a special material which burns everything. It could be useful.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...better-ON-FIRE

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
              Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the offer, Paul. Prefer to find someone to wanting to jump on board for the full ride, but that's kind of you.

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                ...but what kind of effects do you need? Any samples?
                Fair question. Examples; (Note: we think these are pretty good, but it's All still considered WIP and subject to change)

We have a Pestilence relic. We needed 3rd person effect, so you see the Pestilence gas around the player, and we needed 1st person effect, for when you get poisoned. So thatscrawnykid & Metal came up with this;

Chaos has always had AntiGravity. This time I made the challenge a bit harder, by commenting on a news article about scientists detecting gravitational waves. I asked that we try to be inspired by that with our effects. So Metal saw this https://youtu.be/1Tstyqz2g7o?t=1m37s

and gave us this

The mod has stuff planned, and we talk as a group about what effects might be like, and then you are off to make them. Not all are winners on first try, and we reboot.

Examples to come?

We have an Ice Medusa relic, already coded in raw form, still subject to much change. We need to see the player slowly icing up in 3rd person, and maybe even have them shatter if they fall when frozen. We need to have 1st person icing up effect for when you are freezing up.

We have a Gemini relic, spawn an evil twin to assist you in battle. You would have to make him look cool.

What's it gonna look like when relics spawn into arena? What's it look like when the rail gun fires? How should the gravity vortex look? I think it was Loki's Minions that had fireworks around flag stand after capture. Let's do it.

And LOTS more stuff needed that we don't necessarily want to talk about here yet. Not because it's National Security secrets, nobody's gonna die, but just because I don't think it's useful to talk about stuff until you at least confirm it's gonna work as planned.

Yes, we have folks working now, but we have sooo much planned, and we'd like to be done before they start UT5.

So anyway, no doubt this is a challenge. But my understanding is that many of these artist types like a challenge.

Comment

Wow, Metalfist did this? All this animation and scripting? Didn't know she can do this ...darn ...I should have asked her to create some stuff for Food Fight.

Comment

I won't apply cause I don't have the necessary skills for that.

But out of curiosity, are you only asking for visual effects ? Or sound effects as well ?

Also something that doesn't totally enter in this topic but... Have you guys ever planed to do a standalone Chaos game ?

And as always, good job with your work guys ! I can't wait to finally get my hands on it !
                    Good luck as well for what's still left to do.

Comment

thatscrawnykid and Metal - but it's important to understand - we wouldn't have any of it working in game if it weren't for programming by warhead. Then Shadowstar adds sounds.

That's kind of the point. Mods like this require a team. I've been hanging around for ages, and I've yet to meet one person who could do all this alone. Just as Spa didn't do the 1st Chaos without coding by Flash. Them boys had it goin' on.

Comment

Well, if you need help from an Concept artist (storyboards as well) and Interface-design artist... http://jokercologne.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                          Well, if you need help from an Concept artist (storyboards as well) and Interface-design artist... http://jokercologne.deviantart.com/gallery/
                          We have lots of things we need concepts for. Mostly weapons and effects right now. But we also have a few characters and maps in those early stages.
                          Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                          Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Working...
                          X