Idea for gore system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea for gore system

I think if would be cool if the gore system worked differently than in previous games. In all of the UT games the gore has always been generic body parts. I think it would be cool if the gore system would use parts of the player model as body parts. So that way it is more immersive and you can tell whose body parts are whose XD.

I also think it would be cool if the gore system was more dynamic like shooting a body on the ground would tear off limbs and put holes in the corpse. Instead of them just exploding from weapon fire. It would also look cool if the head shot effects would be different, instead of the head just popping off and flying around maybe it would be cool if there were more ways for it to happen like a giant hole in the head or parts of the head missing and stuff like that.

It would be awesome if each weapon had a different effect on a corpse like the link gun would burn the corpse and leave a hot green wound. The flak cannon could leave flak chunks in the body that burn and steam. The rocket launcher would leave a crispy burning mess and stuff like that.

Unreal Tournament is a blood sport and is meant to be violent and nasty.

I think it would be really cool if this was implemented.

I think this will be a bit problematic.
    Especially for countries like Germany. We have unfortunately very strict violence and gore laws in media that might even lead to a prohibition on sale. (As far as I know)
    I don't know about free2play games and Internet sales only. That might be a grey zone.

Although I would also like to have it. I don't think any sane human on earth would be influenced by that level of gore. Its just fun and we don't see those pixel characters as humans. Thats the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ecreif View Post
      I think this will be a bit problematic.
      Especially for countries like Germany. We have unfortunately very strict violence and gore laws in media that might even lead to a prohibition on sale. (As far as I know)
      I don't know about free2play games and Internet sales only. That might be a grey zone.

Although I would also like to have it. I don't think any sane human on earth would be influenced by that level of gore. Its just fun and we don't see those pixel characters as humans. Thats the difference.
      Man that sucks that they try to block that kind of stuff, but when it comes to that there is always a work around like a German version of the game that has reduced gore then someone with the actual version can mod in the gore for countries that cant get that kind of violence from the other version. Theres always a way around that kind of thing.

I agree that video game violence doesn't lead someone to real violence. Only crazy people kill someone, but they just happen to play video games... -_- True killing a video game character while they look human there not... In a sense there like a robot. I've played UT since I was 5 years old and many other violent games. That doesn't mean I'm going to go on a killing spree...

Comment

All due respect but when did prohibitions ever stop the Germans Australia Has strict laws too but now in the last year were allowed R rating, Stuff like Mortal Kombat is allowed so i dont see why UT will be banned in full gore. Dinosaurs are not in government any more here, idiots yes.
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

This sounds like a complicated thing to implement. You have to chop up every mesh into predetermined sections that match the character model...which will be bad for people making new character models for the game, because they''ll also have to this for every model them make. Its like the thing of putting the actual characters hands on the gun's in 1st person view, you have to do a ton more work to make everything match up. I think the gibs should be generic, except maybe the head for head shots.

tbh, there was basically zero gore in Unreal Championship 2, not even ragdolls.....and even though I thought i would....I didn't miss it or even notice it was gone until later. Games have become very realistic, to the point these things are just a little too disturbing. I don't think there needs to be gratuitous gore on a mortal kombat like level. Basic blood spurts, and ragdolls is fine.

Comment

I'm sure there is an easier way to implement it. Even thou games may look more realistic they still don't look realistic nor do they feel realistic, so I wouldn't be disturbed by a more gory game. It just adds more realism to the game and Unreal Tournament is a blood sport so its suppose to be really violent. But this is just me they should add an option for this gore then an option for the classic gore. That way if someone doesn't want uber gore they can choose the less uber gore. This is just me, but UT feels like it needs to be nastier. Think about it if the tournaments were real it would be a bloodbath. You also gotta realize that in the tournament no one actually dies because of the respawn. Its like the airsoft of today, but mega popular, with real guns, and death respawn.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
              All due respect but when did prohibitions ever stop the Germans Australia Has strict laws too but now in the last year were allowed R rating, Stuff like Mortal Kombat is allowed so i dont see why UT will be banned in full gore. Dinosaurs are not in government any more here, idiots yes.

You give the governements too much power.

Comment

It would be cool if you could build a basic skeletal/muscular model, and have the game dynamically break existing character models into "pieces" that would apply the internal model then appropriately stretch and mask with blood effects so that you could have a body that breaks apart on the fly rather than having set break points. As someone with 0% skill in programming or anything related to what I just described, I think it's probably impossible, but maybe it'll give the right person who KNOWS what they are talking about an idea for something awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotfodder View Post
                  have the game dynamically break existing character models into "pieces"
                  I'm not sure about skeletal meshes, but UE4 has a built in framework for shatterable static meshes.

Comment

I think that when you want UT to be a competitive shooter, and you want everyone to enjoy the matches in public/Tournaments etc. the gore shouldn't be too much in the core game imo.

Zaccubus made a nice video on youtube about it, watch it, and think further than just the gore, think of the bigger picture for Unreal Tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aos3BD7jxPM

Comment

The main issue I have with overly complicated gore systems is that it makes modeling custom characters a ***** if you want them to stand up to the same level of punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by IG Lycan View Post
                        I think if would be cool if the gore system worked differently than in previous games. In all of the UT games the gore has always been generic body parts. I think it would be cool if the gore system would use parts of the player model as body parts. So that way it is more immersive and you can tell whose body parts are whose XD.

I also think it would be cool if the gore system was more dynamic like shooting a body on the ground would tear off limbs and put holes in the corpse. Instead of them just exploding from weapon fire. It would also look cool if the head shot effects would be different, instead of the head just popping off and flying around maybe it would be cool if there were more ways for it to happen like a giant hole in the head or parts of the head missing and stuff like that.

It would be awesome if each weapon had a different effect on a corpse like the link gun would burn the corpse and leave a hot green wound. The flak cannon could leave flak chunks in the body that burn and steam. The rocket launcher would leave a crispy burning mess and stuff like that.

Unreal Tournament is a blood sport and is meant to be violent and nasty.

I think it would be really cool if this was implemented.
                        Boy, I would love to have that feature! Strongly reminds me of Gears of War gore system, which I really like a lot!
                        Now I don't mind the generic gibs, but a ball of meat and bones seems ridiculous, idk just explaining.
                        Have fun fragging in the tournament! - ShrapnelAD aka "FlakTaryd" or "FlakT"

Comment

In addition to what the op was saying ("in all of the UT games"), UT3 actually system like that (split into families) but without character dismemberment (even if it is possible with the engine, the character skeleton wasn't made for it). Such brutality would be okay for a UT-ish game (since all of the games are bloody) but a complete character dismemberment would be tooo much. Everywhere will be flying character parts. It might be distracting from the actual gameplay. But as a mutator, why not. I acutally like having more blood effects for playing offline against bots. But online should be somehow clean without that much of bloody. However, sometimes blood (or any decals) can help alot to know when there was a player dying or something similar (in non-competitive gameplay).
                          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 04-29-2015, 09:00 PM.
                          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I liked how the different gib types were split into each race. Each race had a distinct skeleton, blood color, and gib shapes, but it was shared amongst the characters of the respective race. Like humans, undead, cybernetics, automatons, skaarj, etc.

I'm thinking maybe have each weapon type should have its own distinctive gib effect on the characters, which clearly indicates visually what their death was caused by (based on the last shot they took before dying). For example:
                            - Link Gun beam would melt characters to a skeleton, projectile would cause green tinged burn marks on the corpse upon death
                            - Flak Cannon shrapnel shot would make many holes in the corpse, ball shot would blow the body into bits with shrapnel sticking out
                            - Redeemer would reduce all bodies into ashes
                            - Rocket Launcher single shot would cause burning corpse, multi shot would cause the body to break into bits and also burn up.
                            - Sniper head shot, if the HP was 100 or more then its a massive hole in the head, if the HP was less than 100 then the whole head flies off.

This will give the gib system more variety, but without going to the extremes of dissecting every character and making custom gore for every one of them.
                            Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

did anyone see the Nalipweapons 3 ?

there it is an gore-system in, where let fly around bloody meat and bones, this it's cool !
                              and the whole mess fly around also on the wall's and slimy down .. from the walls.
                              Feralidragon it's there also in the forum ! he have build up the Naliweapons3 for UT99..
                              and i tell yea' brutal weapons !
                              He have the knowing how it can work.. he have build it up ..Feralidragon, he is an god of bloody shreds !

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nali-weapons-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZD_rSdo8A

and goresystem :
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2QmeoLwH8
                              ! With bloodsteam !

would be cool.. if we have this in the UT4 (but then, it's this game definitely nothing for Child's any more *lol*)

best regards
                              Blacky
                              Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-01-2015, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X