CRT Emulation effects.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CRT Emulation effects.

Hey guys. I'm working on some procedural post effects for no reason at all, and I got started on a procedural CRT emulation effect.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Its designed to look more like the heavily curved screens of the '80s and '90s, but because its fully procedural, it can be fiddled with to fit the look you are aiming for.

It's not really useful for Unreal Tournament, but it may come in handy for those who want to take Post shots of their work, or who want to do cinematics that look like they're from the 1990s.

My next step is to add a horizontal bloom filter and maybe some subtle scanlines. For another day, though.

I feel like it would be cool if it and the HUD were integrated together, the HUD following the curve of it... I'd actually dig using it by default then (minus scanlines).

Does this actually warp the image or is it a very simple overlay?

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

That post effect would be pretty handy in Jailbreak where they have monitors that hook to cameras in the playing field. Good job!
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        I feel like it would be cool if it and the HUD were integrated together, the HUD following the curve of it... I'd actually dig using it by default then (minus scanlines).

Does this actually warp the image or is it a very simple overlay?
        The image is actually distorted to follow the curve of the screen, but it's a subtle effect, not hugely distracting (I'm my opinion). As for the HUD, I have no idea how to get the gameplay overlay to conform to the post effect. It doesn't matter where I set the effect in the material settings, the HUD always renders afterward. Maybe a clever soul could help me out there.

Comment

From my understanding the HUD is rendered on a completely different layer and in a different method.
          Unfortunately I don't think it's possible out-of-the-box to apply post effects to the HUD.
          3d Artist
          UT Cosmetic Items |
          UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Went a bit crazy with the scanline filter....

Comment

LOL. This might be pretty cool to attach to that selfie plugin that Pete made.
              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The only scanline I remember from CRTs was that hilariously unattractive sweep effect when a CRT was captured on video. I'd probably giggle profusely if I ever saw that in a game.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to take this any further. Anyone want the file?

Comment

This is cool. If anything this could make a great tutorial / example for post effects in UE4.

Comment

Maybe we can make UT universe never develop flat screens and still use CRT? That would be weird but actually interesting in being weird :P
                      Unofficial Enforcer Model
                      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                        Maybe we can make UT universe never develop flat screens and still use CRT? That would be weird but actually interesting in being weird :P
                        There are lots of flatscreens (and worse, floating holographic screens) in Unreal as it is, but CRTs still have a huge number of supporters who'll go on about how reliable and cheap they are in comparison, and lots of industrial platforms and vehicles still use them. I can definitely see them being a common thing in a gritty Aliens/Bladerunner-esque future, which is kind of what Unreal's always been trying to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                          Yeah, I don't think I'm going to take this any further. Anyone want the file?
                          No need to ask . Just share it.

That PP effect could actually be used for the remote redeemer effect.
                          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Yeah, it actually fits pretty well for the redeemer.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I support idea of this being for redeemer
                              Unofficial Enforcer Model
                              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
                              X