No announcement yet.

Redemer Detonation: Next Gen Effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Redemer Detonation: Next Gen Effects.

Hey Guys. Made a quick gif for a tesselated explosion effect. Its first-pass, and just a proof-of-concept at this point. it uses geometry only, and is controlled by a single time parameter.

Is a gif really the best way to sell us on this? I am betting the real thing isn't anywhere near that choppy. At least, I hope not... :S

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I think it also needs that expanding shockwave effect from the UT99 version too. Also a video in comparison to a gif would be nice, but what I see so far seems pretty good if used in combination with some other effects.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        Is a gif really the best way to sell us on this? I am betting the real thing isn't anywhere near that choppy. At least, I hope not... :S
        Most assuredly not. A gif is a pretty terrible way to convey this, but it was late and it was the quickest solution: my bed was calling me.

I'll work on it a bit more, such as making an actual blueprint and such, but I really have no idea how to make it go 'boom' in the game, as I'm manually manipulating a slider at this point.

Comment

It's a nuke, so I think it when you see the explosion you should immediately know what it is. This explosion could be anything really, nothing about it makes me think it is a nuke.

I'm not really sure what a nuclear weapon might look like from close up as it is exploding, but I think it might look pretty cool effects-wise. Might be worth researching that a bit to help design a cooler looking more characteristic explosion.

Comment

I think it would be really cool to see some kind of shock wave. If I remember correctly, the UT2kX redeemer had some kind of yellow'ish shock wave travelling through the map. Maybe it would be even possible to have some distortion effects on the shock wave, like they used it on the first iterations of the shock combo. Not sure if its an easy thing to do though :P

Comment

Seems like the website has some interesting photography of nuclear explosions: http://www.atomcentral.com/hydrogen-bomb.aspx

http://www.atomcentral.com/rapatroni...x#!prettyPhoto

Comment

If All things go according to plan, I should be able to put a bit of time into this effect this weekend.

I'm looking at a progress sequence:

1: change over the material to a translucent volumetric with proper shading (at the moment it is a masked with no diffuse)

2: create a shock wave effect (really easy to do, I already have ideas).

3: create a smoke particle effect to replace the mesh after the initial blast

4: create blast decals that look like charred, blasted ground to leave behind after the 'deemer goes off.

5: put it all into a spawnable effect blueprint.

Thanks for the input, everyone, this is going to be fun!

Comment

Step 1: Complete:

Comment

The redeemer's damage is blocked by walls and other structures. Can this effect display that aspect of the 'deemer? Would it look as good when viewed from the inside?

Comment

With some clever math, I may be able to adjust the tessellation to be blocked by walls, the like. but.. **** my mind is panicking just thinking about the instruction count....

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                        4: create blast decals that look like charred, blasted ground to leave behind after the 'deemer goes off.
                        I would love to see a substantial area of the map charred by the effect, more than simply the impact surface. I'm thinking if it detonates in a corridor, the walls, floor, and ceiling should all be affected. - I'm not sure of the feasibility of that though.

It would be great if there were also some lingering ember particles in the area for some time after the explosion and smoke has subsided. When you walk into an area it would be awesome if you could tell a Redeemer had gone off there.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                          Step 1: Complete:
                          Hilarious voice-over! (yes I'm 12 going on...)
                          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by darkskyabove
                            Yep. Players moving through an area subjected to a recent Redeemer blast should acquire a temporary radioactive glow!!!

KazeoHin-TechAE:

One way to limit the instruction count could be to cut down on the extent of visual changes. Watching your video I felt like the effect between 00:00:07 & 00:00:08 might be all that is necessary (expanded for time, ofc). The blinding flash seems mandatory, along with some bright red-orange gas expansion. But the later black smoke tends to make it look (to me) like a conventional explosion. If it could be interpreted as a simple explosion, you'd be wasting some processing power without achieving the desired effect.
                            The Instruction count at the moment isnt particularly high, but I don't want that to change.

Have a watch of this video, at 3:45 it shows a smaller nuclear blast in mid-day. its sort of the effect I'm going for.

Comment

How cool would it be if you could add the effect at 7:25-ish to everything caught in the blast radius. Would truly be worthy of the new engine.

Edit: Would also be cool to add in those "atomic shadows" burnt into the ground of the players caught in the blast.
                              Last edited by cafe; 06-13-2015, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X