No announcement yet.

Redemer Detonation: Next Gen Effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's the shockwave effects, the lingering miniature mushroom cloud after, and perhaps a little bit of fallout, that'd be epic. Especially in outdoor maps when they arrive in the future. I can just imagine nearby trees and other animated assets getting blown by the strong nuclear air burst. Also, flying in a Raptor and seeing a mushroom cloud and crater decal from above, showing where a Redeemer has landed.
    Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Just letting this here ...
      around 3:42 ...

,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
        Just letting this here ...
        around 3:42 ...

Holy****! That was achieved in UE1? Impressive. If I saw that type of utter destruction blast from a Redeemer, I'd probably run for my life even though there's no surviving that lol!
        Character Sketch

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Yeah, Nali Weapons are pretty sick, my favorite part starts at 5:18

Also, some more spectacular destruction:
          https://youtu.be/d33hB0b9sXo
          https://youtu.be/f7DeHLtZn4I
          https://youtu.be/Mwlb0tK9JFA
          https://youtu.be/Z8zm31YjcBk <- supernova

I hope this guy makes something for UT4.
          ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

That's some insane blast sequences. If anything of that level were to be applied in-game, only the Redeemer, Ion Painter, and Leviathan deployed fire would be possible candidates. The Leviathan deployed fire was lacklustre in UT3 too, mostly just screen distortion and brightness. The blast would have to be shorter though and not as big as that, as it looks like that size of a blast would destroy entire deathmatch maps. I'm hoping the author makes a comeback to modding and creates something like this. I'd get it asap as a DLC and it'd be pretty good test for UE4 particle system capabilities. Kazeo looks like he's got something really good going, hopefully it reaches fruition.
            Character Sketch

Comment

Those UE1 blast sequences are remarkably realistic!

I would like to chip in here to help the TS understand nuclear blasts.

Basically a nuke is a ball of unstable matter roughly the size of a grown man's fist. Around that is built a casing which contains some sort of explosive method to compress the matter to critical mass. Once critical mass is reached, the matter will be forced into a chain reaction where neutrons and other radiation are fired into the nuclei of all the atoms, causing either nuclear fission (in case of uranium bombs) of nuclear fusion (in case of deuterium, tritium and hydrogen bombs).

Why is this relevant here? In this process the mass will lose binding energy and mass which gets transformed into pure energy (a combination of ionizing radiation, light and heat). The sheer amount of energy radiated from such a source is insane. To illustrate this I will bring forward the mass-energy relation of Einstein, E=mc^2. This means that if 1g of matter is lost, this will result in 0.01 * 90'000'000'000'000'000 = 900'000'000 Megajoules of energy. This is roughly equivalent to bringing 2 million tons of TNT to explosion.

Now that we have the scope of the energy at work clear, I can plausibly explain the phases a nuclear blast goes through:
              1. First light - When the nuke gets detonated, usually about 200ft from the ground surface (I will explain the why later), the above mentioned mass enters the state in which it contains an uncontrolled chain reaction. The mass will heat up to temperatures exceeding those of the surface of the sun. It will radiate such intense heat and light that anyone a certain radius (depending on the size of the nuke, in heroshima, a small nuke, this was a 2mile radius) will instantly evaporate. People and objects will leave imprints on concrete surfaces while most of it basically disappears. On longer distances people will be blinded, receive burns and on the long term die of radiation poisoning.
              2. Shockwave - The heat generated by the ball causes the air around it to superheat very fast, generating a fireball of burning air. The same rapid increase in temperature will generate a shockwave that has to travel from within the shockwave outward. The sheer air pressure will refract and dim the light of the fireball for a moment when coming out of the fireball, hence the characteristic two-pulse lightblast. The shockwave itself is the most destructive part of the explosion, travelling across the land blowing everything apart. This is the reason nukes are detonated from altitude, this way the shockwave can travel further and do more damage.
              3. Mushroom Cloud
              - Once the nuclear fission/fusion process loses power, the air around the mass will slowly stop burning. The shockwave and fireball will engulf the original blast center in dust and smoke. The temperatures of the cloud will make the whole thing ascend higher up into the air. The high difference in temperatures will instantly generate clouds in the higher levels of the atmosphere. The shockwave is still travelling along the ground and will disperse will the process is ongoing.
              4. Fallout - It takes time for the dust to settle and for the clouds to disappear. But it takes even longer to get rid of the radioactive material that gets scattered over the area. It will be contaminated and uninhabitable for hundreds of years.

This is as short a summary I could come up with. I hope the TS can recreate this process.

Here is a little youtube video of the largest nuke explosion ever filmed by man:
              Last edited by Blaat; 09-28-2015, 08:40 AM. Reason: Adding video

Comment

So I've made the cloud 'mushroom out' but I'm having one hell of a time finding a smoke particle system to supplement the mesh with. Anyone know where I'd be able to find some smoke particles in the editor?

Comment

The video in the previous reply is of course, fake. There's also a great deal of wrong information there, and information that isn't synthesized into any accurate understanding of the effects of nuclear weapons. Interested readers can check out Alex Wellerstein's thoughts on the matter (here), as well as a link to footage of the actual Tsar Bomba detonation.

Anyway, nice work.
                  Dueling Flak Cannons
                  We see the shells falling
                  Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                    So I've made the cloud 'mushroom out' but I'm having one hell of a time finding a smoke particle system to supplement the mesh with. Anyone know where I'd be able to find some smoke particles in the editor?
                    Don't forget to post pictures of your progress ... I'm eager to see some insane blasts for UT4.
                    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d1GL5GSOAto fallout 4 fatman

Comment

Very good choice. By the way, this game is ****ing amazing !

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
                          The video in the previous reply is of course, fake. There's also a great deal of wrong information there, and information that isn't synthesized into any accurate understanding of the effects of nuclear weapons. Interested readers can check out Alex Wellerstein's thoughts on the matter (here), as well as a link to footage of the actual Tsar Bomba detonation.

Anyway, nice work.

I did not know that video was fake, maybe I should have looked better. Sorry about that!

I know I greatly oversimplyfied some stuff in there and also left some out but I didn't know I was spreading wrong info. :P

I'm open to new information though. Gonna read some more into this.

I think my point about what the blast sequence should look like is clear though. It's all about the light flash, shockwave and rising fireball that slowly cools down. The donut shape is caused by the inside air rising faster than the cooler inside air.

Comment

Working...
                          X