No announcement yet.

Bio Rifle (Hybrid Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty sci fi crazy although I think we went too crazy with it in UT3 and this looks to be a continuation of that super alien style. We have been discussing the Bio a little lately, I think the reason why we haven't pushed hard for a new visual style is we know that the core functionality of the weapon still needs work and therefore we don't want to move on the looks yet. However, I think that it is awesome you and a couple others are exploring ideas as who knows where they could lead.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

YamYam, I don't know if I'm doing it right but, did you see mine ? Since you didn't post on my thread I was wondering and I'm seecking help to improve my design, I'll need some advices.

Comment

I think for the core functionality of the bio rifle it should function more like a link gun or pulse rifle where the bio-matter primary is ejected much quicker and the secondary charges up faster.
        Current Projects

WIP: Weapon Inspect Animation: CLICK ME

Comment

Thanks a lot for the attention, YemYam.
          However, the third concept in the last design sheet is effectively "super-alien". Maybe I could draw again the model but with a sci-fi style nearer the "Terrestrial" design.
          Last edited by rapfamily4; 11-18-2015, 02:14 PM.

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

The bio is still up in there air functionality wise so I think you guys should go crazy and come up with whatever you think is cool. We've even kicked around the idea of weapon variants, so in addition to custom weapon skins there could be custom meshes that had slightly different functionality between different ones. All of that is a little ways off so I wouldn't let that bog down what you guys are designing. I think great ideas come when you just let it flow and see what you come up with.
            Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
            Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
              The bio is still up in there air functionality wise so I think you guys should go crazy and come up with whatever you think is cool. We've even kicked around the idea of weapon variants, so in addition to custom weapon skins there could be custom meshes that had slightly different functionality between different ones. All of that is a little ways off so I wouldn't let that bog down what you guys are designing. I think great ideas come when you just let it flow and see what you come up with.
              I just think the bio rifle would be better off put on the side lines and the Ripper brought in as a default in its place. Sure, the bio rifle is fun and colourful, but I just don't feel like it gets enough use. I always feel like it doesn't really stand on its own as a useful weapon. The typical usage I see out of it is solely reliant on charging up the secondary and hoping to get a lucky hit on someone, and even then it's basically a one-and-done due to the charge time. Even adding the link web functionality doesn't really redeem it in my eyes, it just seems clumsy and slow, what with you having to sit there charging up the goop, shoot it, then again switch to the link gun and sit there charging the goop up to turn it into a web. This is assuming you even have both a link gun and a bio rifle handy, and even then it only lasts around a minute. It's a novel idea, sure, but it's super gimmicky and I literally don't see link webs outside of the odd person making one due to the novelty (note: that one person is usually me), then getting a grand total of zero actual usage out of it.

Apologies if this rant is misplaced, I've been sitting on it for a while and couldn't really think where to voice it. Basically I miss the Ripper and I'd love for more of our talented artists to put some time into concepting it, rather than what seems to be an obsession with bio rifle concepts right now.

Comment

For me, what reduce the use of the bio rifle, is how short the blobs last, I alway wanted to place "mines", but I alway ended just throwing blobs in poeple face when I don't have an other weapon. I think a good way to fix it if they last longer, make surfaces where they don't stick, let's say, sinthetic tarydium surfaces, and the rest where it stick, and make their damage decrease once they are stucked somewhere, and if there is too much G.E.S in one place, it becomes to instable and they go bump in each other and explose, so you can't put basilion of blobs around the flag that someone with 199 hd and shied belt die on it.

Comment

The Bio-Rifle is a pretty strong weapon in UT99 (can't remember how strong it was in the other UTs).
                  The primary shot is an areal denial weapon. But the alternate fire is devastating ...one hit with a full charged glob and the opponent was gibbed with a deadly wide splash damage ...two or three opponents in a narrow space and all are gone or heavily damaged ...enough for the primary fire to take em down.
                  Yes, you have to aim with it differently than your regular weapons, but if you master the Bio-Rifle will you benefit from its defence and strong offence capabilities.
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I love all the discussion with the bio and different designs coming out lately. I definitely agree it needs some functionality tweaking to make it a more viable weapon. I am a lesser skilled player and think that the bio could evolve into a more defensive weapon for people like me but I don't know how that would work. We have discussed it internally a bit and the more people that contribute ideas the better!

Comment

I love all the discussion with the bio and different designs coming out lately. I definitely agree it needs some functionality tweaking to make it a more viable weapon. I am a lesser skilled player and think that the bio could evolve into a more defensive weapon for people like me but I don't know how that would work. We have discussed it internally a bit and the more people that contribute ideas the better!
                      What about a third fire mode?
                      Or/and a slightly different handling?
                      Primary fire is the default small glob ...but you have to hammer the button for fast shots. If you hold the primary fire is this like the old alternate fire and it'll charge a bigger glob ...a release-to-shoot system. The Alternate fire activates the spray function ...on close range can you spray an explosive layer over everything. If an opponent steps into it will he activate the trap and boom.
                      A charged glob can be directly detonated if you hit alternate fire... even if you still hold the primary fire with the glob inside the weapon ...you'll also get damaged but an opponent in front of you get gibbed instantly.

I took the spray function idea from the Hot Saucier from the Food Fight mod.
                      Last edited by papercoffee; 11-24-2015, 07:59 PM.
                      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I'm glad my rant wasn't misplaced, I guess it turns out that a lot of people think similarly when it comes to the Bio Rifle. I agree, it definitely needs some tweaking! Maybe that's a better answer than "scrap that, let's have the ripper instead"?

And now, an idea!

What if instead of firing single blobs, the bio rifle could turn into a sort of goop-hose that fired a sustained stream of green gloopy goo? A constant stream could better be used as an area-denial tool by continually firing it into an area, but could be balanced by restricting it to the floor by toning down it's stickiness (ie, you could fire it at a wall, and it would for the most part bounce off, but leave a trail down the wall). The secondary fire could remain the same, and could still be used as a sort of giant sticky goop mine in lieu of not having the mini sticky-goop-mines, but turning the primary into a hose I think would make it a really interesting weapon to use. You could make use of water physics and bounce the stream off a wall around a corner, and make it act as more of a slippery mucus with sort of a membrane on it.
                        Obviously, this would then need to be balanced with lower damage to take into account taking (forgive me, for lack of better words) an entire perfectly-aimed load in the face, which could drop your health in seconds! You could balance the damage lower to make people consider it as more of a utility weapon, or raise the damage and essentially turn it into a slightly trickier version of the Link Gun secondary (constant stream of damage).
                        Aside from that, you would also have to consider what would happen if you step in a pool of goop. It could coat your legs, which could be displayed by adding a sticky green goopy model over the character's lower half, for easy visual readability, which would both slow them down and damage them, which would add more consequence to getting caught in it and not just using a wall-run to get around it.

And now after editing this a few times, I realise this post is like a constant stream of goop, from my brain straight to my fingers! I hope it's easy to understand.
                        Last edited by falolout; 11-25-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

The constant stream mechanics is quite good, but if it had been added in a next build, I wouldn't have got used immediately: it's a bit different from the original...

BY THE WAY: I'm actually not working on the concepts of the gun, since this week was plenty of homework (I'm a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, guys and gals!!!), but I think I'll find time to work on it next week.

-Luigi Rapetta
                          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by falolout View Post
                            What if instead of firing single blobs, the bio rifle could turn into a sort of goop-hose that fired a sustained stream of green gloopy goo? A constant stream could better be used as an area-denial tool by continually firing it into an area, but could be balanced by restricting it to the floor by toning down it's stickiness (ie, you could fire it at a wall, and it would for the most part bounce off, but leave a trail down the wall). The secondary fire could remain the same, and could still be used as a sort of giant sticky goop mine in lieu of not having the mini sticky-goop-mines, but turning the primary into a hose I think would make it a really interesting weapon to use.
                            This sounds like the initial idea for Hot Saucier from Food Fight.

Spoiler

But the UT99 engine was too limited and we had to reconsider the weapon handling ...we made a compromise and changed it.

I would love to see this mechanic accomplished. Even so it's the Bio Rifle for UT4.
                            Last edited by papercoffee; 11-26-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

INNOVATION AND RENEWAL are the best thing :3

-Luigi Rapetta
                              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                                Here you are three variants of the same weapon.
                                These 3 patterns are different from each other:

1. Both Sci-Fi and Industrial design, with "lobster-like" design features (2 vertical arms);
                                2. Mostly industrial design, with many references of that style, including sharp lines (3 arms, maybe too similar to the HL2 Gravity Gun and the UT4 Link Gun);
                                3. Sci-Fi design, with round lines and classy decals (2 horizontal arms - crossbow style).

(http://oi63.tinypic.com/rteyv5.jpg)

What's the best one for you?
                                I believe that mixing concepts from concept 2 could be a great thing, I see a big potential in these designs
                                having a nice mixture of organic style with tech
                                But I have a few recommentations at least from my perspective of course
                                I do like the three arms bits of 2# but I think you might try to reverse them having the side arms to the top and the top one in the bottom of the weapon
                                I think an holographic ladder on the top would benefit the design while having the ammo display and charge display in there too.
                                The ammo can in 1# is well placed but needs to be bigger it also looks better in 2#

My fav is 2# but I think some things have to be moved in the same fashion as 1# at some point

Comment

Working...
                                X