No announcement yet.

Bio Rifle (Hybrid Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a really quick draft, to show you one of the solutions I was thinking about. It's really raw and maybe it's absolutely not what we're looking for. Please, tell me if it's worth to use my efforts on this or try something different.

Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
      The standard model is a very nice update to classic UT design. Having the Y arms on it would look cool to me.
      I do like the worm tube on the side I would see it moving when the bio is moving sludge to the front as well as some pistons as mad IVIax is suggesting.

PS: I'm not forcing the UT99 variant, I do like the earlier concepts, but as I should admit and tell, I'm a huge fan of industrialized weaponry with lots of moving parts

Comment

nicht nur du rapfamily4 hoffst das die Bio Rifle die nächste Waffe sein wird

Comment

Charge Mechanics - Draft 2

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!! I'm really happy to see that someone is interested in my work.

But I would like to know what do you think about the draft which I posted yesterday (https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post212622). It's really important, since I would like to know if I'm going to the right direction for some new and unique charge mechanics. I'm not totally satisfied about that one, infact I posted it just to know if it's worth to work on that idea or try to find another solution.

By the way: I drew a second draft. The motivations of this one are the same of the first draft.

For each phase, some green LED emitters placed near the edges of the external plates become more illuminated. We have a similar feature in the Rocket Launcher during its charge.

Anyway, I should admit that this one is quite crazy... If you want, you could tell me what you think: assertive criticism is welcome.

Obviously I'll do my best to find new solutions, updating this thread as soon as I can.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rapfamily4; 12-10-2015, 05:53 AM. Reason: Grammar and Readability

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Hello, I tried to focus on that mechanics concept, but it's quite challenging finding a really unique solution... Sorry if I didn't update this thread as much as I wanted.

By the way, do you have any ideas? Opinions are gold for this game!
            Last edited by rapfamily4; 12-20-2015, 01:15 PM. Reason: grammar

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Concept 4

Hello again, I'm back with this Bio Rifle concept. This time I tried to experiment with Industrial features and Sci-Fi lines. It also shows some charge mechanics, using the pistons that you can see below. I have to tell you that there are no arms/limbs and I should admit that those mechanics are featuring the well known floating blob, which we are trying to exclude. I'll update the thread if I'll get other ideas!

Assertive feedback is everytime welcome. Tell me everything you think!

Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                Looks pretty sci fi crazy although I think we went too crazy with it in UT3 and this looks to be a continuation of that super alien style. We have been discussing the Bio a little lately, I think the reason why we haven't pushed hard for a new visual style is we know that the core functionality of the weapon still needs work and therefore we don't want to move on the looks yet. However, I think that it is awesome you and a couple others are exploring ideas as who knows where they could lead.
                You know Id just like to say that Im a fan of alien weapons and think there could be a place for them in UT, it just needs to fit with the lore and that was the biggest issue people had with UT3 IMO. If the bio was actually said to be a necris weapon or a weapon fired nano-black that fits more than just throwing a heap of flowers n scorpions at people then expecting them to accept that as canon.

Im glad Entropy is going to start up a lore discussion because I think progress is being hindered by the lack of direction, not on Epics part, Im sure you guys have a thorough understanding of where you want the franchise to go but on the communities part. We are waiting to hear more and I think I would favour dropping Q/A to forum threads rather than wasting precious twitch time the developers could be using to convey where things could go, Im not sure the couch is the best place. I would like to see whiteboards, sketch books and notes, I think thats why my interest in the project comes and goes is because I really dont feel like Im part of the process at all, its like the community just does its thing and if Epic see's something they like they take it.

Note: Even a decent FAQ would be cool since we tend to get the same questions asked quite often and the response is a lengthy, we havent got there yet.

--------

I really like the concepts you have going and I do think the Bio can benefit from a more organic design, that could be perhaps why its failed visually in the past is it has been too mechanical even in regards to the UT3 version. I agree with YemYam at the same time that functionality will drive the look in part but I can see your approach is reasonably flexible with your multiple directions.

I just wanted to comment in regards to the pie chart mainly, that its limiting weapon design to a more human background yet we have Skaarj and Necris, sure not every weapon needs to be made specifically for a major faction but it would be nice to see some variation and I think your Biorifle concepts forfill that need quite well. Obviously though if its the only weapon that looks this way it'll stick out and this is why I was a huge proponent of seeing the weapons along side each other earlier on in the process, Im willing to bet the weapons that are in now wont be touched apart from minor tweaks because of the time/money invested in them.

What you have done to try and keep the more traditional silhouette works well, your side profiles are quite noticably the Biorifle from a distance and thats important, thats something the UT3 Bio also failed at abit, it wasnt that unique and could have been mistaken for a flak cannon silhouette in part.

re 0# I do think the ribbed tubing is a good idea and it could look cool to see a bulge moving through the pipe when its charging up. With the transparent bit ontop it could be possible to show the charge level via a nice dynamic light and bloom thats visible from the 3rd person more, it could be done with a material effect as well to save on polys, using some fake depth like whats done on the eye shader to give it the right look at lesser poly cost

Honestly Id love to see the particles for this weapon use the same system Borderlands 2 did for its liquids.
                Last edited by MonsOlympus; 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM.
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                  You know Id just like to say that Im a fan of alien weapons and think there could be a place for them in UT, it just needs to fit with the lore and that was the biggest issue people had with UT3 IMO. If the bio was actually said to be a necris weapon or a weapon fired nano-black that fits more than just throwing a heap of flowers n scorpions at people then expecting them to accept that as canon.

Im glad Entropy is going to start up a lore discussion because I think progress is being hindered by the lack of direction, not on Epics part, Im sure you guys have a thorough understanding of where you want the franchise to go but on the communities part. We are waiting to hear more and I think I would favour dropping Q/A to forum threads rather than wasting precious twitch time the developers could be using to convey where things could go, Im not sure the couch is the best place. I would like to see whiteboards, sketch books and notes, I think thats why my interest in the project comes and goes is because I really dont feel like Im part of the process at all, its like the community just does its thing and if Epic see's something they like they take it.

Note: Even a decent FAQ would be cool since we tend to get the same questions asked quite often and the response is a lengthy, we havent got there yet.

--------

I really like the concepts you have going and I do think the Bio can benefit from a more organic design, that could be perhaps why its failed visually in the past is it has been too mechanical even in regards to the UT3 version. I agree with YemYam at the same time that functionality will drive the look in part but I can see your approach is reasonably flexible with your multiple directions.

I just wanted to comment in regards to the pie chart mainly, that its limiting weapon design to a more human background yet we have Skaarj and Necris, sure not every weapon needs to be made specifically for a major faction but it would be nice to see some variation and I think your Biorifle concepts forfill that need quite well. Obviously though if its the only weapon that looks this way it'll stick out and this is why I was a huge proponent of seeing the weapons along side each other earlier on in the process, Im willing to bet the weapons that are in now wont be touched apart from minor tweaks because of the time/money invested in them.

What you have done to try and keep the more traditional silhouette works well, your side profiles are quite noticably the Biorifle from a distance and thats important, thats something the UT3 Bio also failed at abit, it wasnt that unique and could have been mistaken for a flak cannon silhouette in part.

re 0# I do think the ribbed tubing is a good idea and it could look cool to see a bulge moving through the pipe when its charging up. With the transparent bit ontop it could be possible to show the charge level via a nice dynamic light and bloom thats visible from the 3rd person more, it could be done with a material effect as well to save on polys, using some fake depth like whats done on the eye shader to give it the right look at lesser poly cost

Honestly Id love to see the particles for this weapon use the same system Borderlands 2 did for its liquids.
                  Thanks a lot for the reply!

I agree with what you said about this hypothetical live Q/A and how the showcases are going on, but I'm afraid that the current one is the unchangeable direction which they took.

About the concepts, thanks for the suggestions: I'll consider them. Honestly I think that ribbed pipes are not so bad, but I should admit that it could look too obstructive than a straight pipe.
                  The shaders proposals are fantastic! I hope YemYam reads it!

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Concept 5: Open Chamber

Hello to everyone, guys, gals and robots!

Today I drew the umpteenth concept of the Bio Rifle. This time, I had to check the previous designs of the old games. I noticed a really nice thing in the design of the Bio Rifle of the original Unreal (1998). I really liked the floating GES particles in the chamber of the weapon placed there to simulate the presence of some kind of liquid.

I thought I could have done something like this: a medium-length rifle with a big and viewable chamber. In the case of Unreal, that chamber is viewable through a glass window. Instead, I decided to design this concept with no glass, no windows: a totally open chamber. The concept below shows some charge mechanics and other mechanical features (e.g. slides, pistons, tracks, etc..).

Colored concept:

Tell me anything you think: assertive criticism is welcome!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by rapfamily4; 12-28-2015, 03:51 PM.

-Luigi Rapetta
                    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Wow Impressive very Impressive

Comment

I like the latest concept, looking pretty cool. Would be great to have somebody rough it in 3d to see how it translates.
                        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                          Wow Impressive very Impressive
                          Thanks Chris!

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          I like the latest concept, looking pretty cool. Would be great to have somebody rough it in 3d to see how it translates.
                          Thanks for the reply, YemYam.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough skills to create a 3d model of it, yet. I'll attend a Blender course next February. Meanwhile, I can improve the fifth concept. The 7th of January I'll return to school, so I can only say that I'll update the thread as soon as possible.

-Luigi Rapetta
                          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Come Epic next Weapon Bio Rifle Please

Comment

Concept 6 (PREVIEW)

Hello! I'm back with the preview of this concept art. I'm trying to design a more compact version of the fifth concept. I should admit that it could look like the Flak Cannon due the couple of pistons. What do you think?

Attached Files
                              Last edited by rapfamily4; 01-08-2016, 03:02 PM.

-Luigi Rapetta
                              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

It changed a lot since I last came, it's very nice, I just don't really like how this previously "small and simple" (compared to the rest of the arsenal) weapon is becomming hyper bulky and super complicated with tones of articulations and mechanic parts that mooves all around th gun, I think that's more fitting for the link gun, but I really like the design by the way, I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X