• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spector CZ was doing time a digital display has put the 3

Comment

Originally posted by TheBrainSurgeon View Post
      I like the idea.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the UT99 and UT2k4 bio (they looks like the result of gluing leftover pluming parts together) and I think we can all agree that UT3 went way overboard with the organic style, but I do like the way the UT3 bio opens up an holds the goo blob in place when it charges.
      I would be in favor of a more alien looking bio as long as it remains consistent with the rest of the weapons already in UT4

...but I'm not a fan of this one, maybe it's just me but I don't feel like the silhouette is as strong as the 5th. I would have to see a first person view to really judge for sure though.

Another thing to remember is that even though it's supposed to alien technology it still should look like something that would actually work in real life. For example, in your 5th concept you can easily see how it works, there's an ammo chamber with a pipe going to the front of the gun, there a pressure gauge roughly where you'd expect, there are two sets of pips for different fire modes(?) and the barrel of the gun is designed to keep the blob of goo in place while it charges up. your 6th concept on the other hand has no visible way of getting the goo to the chamber; the front of the gun where the goo blob accumulates has a larger bottom portion which makes sense considering that's where the goo will be sitting, but it seems to have teeth sticking inward that the goo would get stuck on. most of the area to the right of the upper piston doesn't seem have any purpose. the left hand grip from the 5th concept is still there, but now it's too small to actually hold.
      Now I'm not saying that every last detail has to be correct from an engineering standpoint, but it still should at least look like it could work.

In any case we'll still have to wait until the functionality of the bio rifle is determined by Epic, until then I would rather not do any high detail modeling but I'll happily do more low poly concepts as time allows.
      Thanks for the feedback about the 6th concept.... and I think you're absolutely right! I'll find another solution that is inspired by the 5th, following the 'Old Sci-Fi' direction.

I agree, the 1st person view isn't very interesting, you think it's too wide maybe?

Here's a render at 60 fov instead of 90.

Thanks. Probably the slides are too wide, but I have to tell you sorrey since I designed it like this.
      I also think that the slides are not well viewable in 1st person (sorry again). I'll try to correct this little visual issue.

Originally posted by Mad IVIax View Post
      So many tubes ...
      I noticed it... The flow pipe and the pressure pipes are a must (unless I find another pressurization device), but I could delete the four pipes beside the open chamber in the next concept art.

-Luigi Rapetta
      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

It definitely looks good for what it is and absolutely making progress, the reason why I haven't commentated until now is that I don't agree with it entirely. I want a more sporty look more in line with the current Shock rifle and link-gun and I am probably wrong in that regard as we have the Flak cannon and Rocket launcher with a more industrial look. So err, Keep going!

Comment

Concept 6

Originally posted by SumminCool View Post
          It definitely looks good for what it is and absolutely making progress, the reason why I haven't commentated until now is that I don't agree with it entirely. I want a more sporty look more in line with the current Shock rifle and link-gun and I am probably wrong in that regard as we have the Flak cannon and Rocket launcher with a more industrial look. So err, Keep going!
          Thanks for the reply, SumminCool! I actually want to make an "elegantly-industrial" weapon, as I wrote above.

Today I finally post here the sixth concept art. Your feedback was useful during the design process.
          I'm trying to follow the direction which I told you. This one is currently a prototype, so there isn't nothing of official and the "old Sci-Fi" isn't completely there. I could tell you that I was inspired by my fifth concept: this one is a sort of improvement of that design. I used round lines as well as adding industrial features.

COMMENTED VERSION:

Spoiler

About the feedback, I want to ask you some questions:

• Is this design sheet overdetailed?
          • Is the upper slide too Organic?
          • Is this as good as the fifth concept?
          • Are the mechanics of the weapon possible in real life?
          • Is the style which I used incongruent?
          • Is its silhouette similar to UT3 BioRifle's?
          • Ist the canister not well designed? Should I replace the dissipator with the canister?

So, what do you think? Is it bad or nice? What may I improve?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rapfamily4; 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: WRONG BUTTON D:

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I like, it, but there are things that bugs me, it's a bit overcomplicated, not overdetaillerd, but very flashy shapy, a bit too much, for the canister, I'd see well a place to slide it in on the top of the gun, something rustic where you plug it to some pipes, then carefully slide it in.

Comment

Nice update

I really like the dissipator on top, I think it makes the first person view is a lot more interesting.
              • "Is this design sheet over detailed?"

The only part I think is over detailed is the pipe fitting, instead of having all those little parts it might be cool to put a window there so the player could see the goo flowing.

Personally I don't think so, I think the curved lines fit the bio rifle, it'd be great to hear what yemyam has to say though.

it looks like it and that's what matters, I don't really understand the rail and hooks, but it looks like it has potential for some great animations.

it has similarity's but that's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion it should be more like this:

• Is the canister not well designed? Should I replace the dissipator with the canister?

​I can't really tell from this angle, it would be nice to see a top or right side view. but I do think you should keep the canister as it breaks up symmetry.

I really like where this design is going, keep it up.

I'm kind of busy with college and work right now, but I'll try to do another block out when I get a chance.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
                I like, it, but there are things that bugs me, it's a bit overcomplicated, not overdetaillerd, but very flashy shapy, a bit too much, for the canister, I'd see well a place to slide it in on the top of the gun, something rustic where you plug it to some pipes, then carefully slide it in.
                Thanks for the feedback!
                I agree with you: some parts could be overcomplicated. I'll try to keep the functionalities (hooks, pipes), giving them a cleaner look (where it is possible).

I really like the dissipator on top, I think it makes the first person view is a lot more interesting.
                • "Is this design sheet over detailed?"

The only part I think is over detailed is the pipe fitting, instead of having all those little parts it might be cool to put a window there so the player could see the goo flowing.

Personally I don't think so, I think the curved lines fit the bio rifle, it'd be great to hear what yemyam has to say though.

it looks like it and that's what matters, I don't really understand the rail and hooks, but it looks like it has potential for some great animations.

it has similarity's but that's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion it should be more like this:

• Is the canister not well designed? Should I replace the dissipator with the canister?

​I can't really tell from this angle, it would be nice to see a top or right side view. but I do think you should keep the canister as it breaks up symmetry.

I really like where this design is going, keep it up.

I'm kind of busy with college and work right now, but I'll try to do another block out when I get a chance.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate your thoughts about the points that I wrote.
                The pipe fitting could feature a sort of window, in my opinion a small one. About the rail I committed an error right there! I noticed it one week ago, but I didn't correct it yet.... I'll do it in the next concept. I definitely have to show you how the pistons, the rails and the hooks work, since I have a couple of animation ideas.
                About the silhouette: I actually thought right that example while I was drawing, but I also found out that it could be a reference to the current Rocket Launcher model, which would have been a bad repetition.

Anyway, thanks for the attention and thanks again for the proposal to do another model! There is no rush: family and college first!
                Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

I wonder... does the Bio have to be a rifle? Why not make it more like a one-handed pistol instead?
                  Check out my work!
                  | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                  | Localization

Comment

Because the goo is heavy.

Well if you consider the different mechanisms used, the large (or numerous) canister needed to have sufficient fuel to fire the secondary mode, and the eventual weight of the goo, you probably need a rifle to handle it correctly.
                    Now if it fired only the primary mode (or anything as small), maybe a shorter version of the gun is possible.

Comment

And that's exactly why my design have a barrell attachement to make it longer and support rail grip, and use the secondary fire.

Comment

Hi again! I'm back with this quick draft about the mechanical parts of the sixth concept.
                        I hope this is as clear as possible for you.

So, in this picture, you can see the piston, rail and hook mechanics.

The piston has got two functionalities: they depend on the fire mode.

1. The section with the straight canal turns to block the passage of the convex part (the red dot), since the gun has gained enough pressure to shoot the next primary blob.
                        2. The section with the angular canal turns to lock the convex part. This mechanism allows the weapon to maintain the high pressure (used in the secondary fire) in the weapon, without losing it. The hook have the same feature, but the latter are more resistant. Written that, the angular section is more ausiliary. The section unlocks when the pleyer decides to shoot, releasing immediately the pressure.

The rails and the hooks are a lot simpler. As a matter of fact the rails are just supports for the slides, with a convex part that reaches a concave one. The hooks lock on their slots (is this the right word?). The functionality of the hooks is the same of the angular section from the pistons, but they're a lot more resistant.

What do you think? Assertive feedback is welcome!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by rapfamily4; 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM. Reason: The word 'cof' does not exist!

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

It looks really nice, but I think I'll need a gif to get it, it's a bit to technic for me...

Comment

I'm not a master in terms of animations, GIFs included xD
                            Thanks, anyway .

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

If you gonna make it pistol-like, maybe slime should be a bit foam-like to be more realistic. Its about ammo clip's and actual blob's volume/density.
                              Last edited by xiqush; 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Canister Ideas

Hi! I'm back with some quick ideas about the placement of the canister.

1. Canister included in the dissipator, but it must be taller/bigger to allow the passage of the piston (otherwise it's possible to implement a push feature using the upper piston);
                                2. Canister attached on the dissipator sidely, as shown in TheBrainSurgeon's model;
                                3. Pipe canister on the bottom of the weapon, like in the classic design;
                                4. Hidden rotating canister in the anti-gravity chamber;
                                5. Stock canister, featuring symmetrical pipes, as Shkikri did.

The first and the second design make the weapon asymmetrical, instead of the third, the fourth and the fifth, which make the model completely symmetrical.

What is the best for you?
                                Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Working...
                                X