Bio Rifle (Hybrid Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    wow you even set up some post process effects, nice.

tbh, it is completely up to you what you do with it, but let me say this: if you are afraid because people are all over Kazeohin's model, then you have nothing to worry about. The only reason people go there more often, because he delivers updates more often and more detailed ones too. Every iteration of his gun feels like a nearly complete one, because he litters it with detail (he already has the shiny goo, nuts and bolts and everything), even though it does not necessarily look good.

You two are also fundamentally different in how you think about your design. He goes for the nice detail, while shapes and silhouette might not be that important. You go for shape first and then you decide what detail to include.

I could also imagine KazeoHin's model going 3 different ways. I think what he has now is really messy and nowhere near what I would consider a nice Bio. Nor is it going in a direction I like. BUT he is exploring. Nothing wrong with that. Yours on the other hand looks like you already know what you want to do with the gun and what you are going for (obviously, considering your earlier concepts) and I like it much more than KazeoHin's version (though the perfect Bio rifle in my mind would be my own to each his own).

So I just wanted to clear this up. Again, it's up to you what you do with the gun, just finish it
    Last edited by InVader; 07-23-2016, 04:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the reply. I'll go with the gun variant! I'll accept the efforts!

It could become a Molten Metal Cannon/Shotgun or an experimental ignitable acid weapon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To be honest it's all up to you.

Do you feel like putting more efforts to make a full new gun/variant ? Do you think it's too much work and prefer to stay with just a design/skin variant ? Or you feel like it's all pointless and just drop everything ? You're the only one that can decide.
    If you feel like creating a new gun, then do it. It can always do more experience, enrich your portfolio, and you can always include it in the marketplace or as a mod or anything like that. But be prepared for exhausting.

You choose, not us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update 07/23/2016

Hello, guys and gals! Here you are the latest updates.

I modeled the canister, which is now inserted into the holder. It features a glass window which will show the goo when I'll add it.
    I modified the handle, featuring new details and materials. About materials: do you think they're too dark in the handle?
    I also tweaked the materials of the pistons.

Now, I'd like to ask you something about the future of this model. Kazeo is doing a brilliant job with his BioRifle which will be featured in the game. Many people are telling me to work on this model just for my portfolio or at least for a publication on the UT marketplace. Before accepting these solutions I'd like to know if this model could be used for a weapon variant. I mean: not necessarily for the NanoBlackRifle or for the BioLauncher. As a matter of fact I have some ideas for a weapon variant that fits this model. What do you think I should do?

FIRST PERSON:

Spoiler

THIRD PERSON:

Spoiler

SIDE:

Spoiler

BOTTOM:

Spoiler

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll consider the blog post tips

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice! I like what you did to the metal-ish parts on the sides. Lights are also getting there.

Bro tip: Try using lens flare textures and bloom (post processing) for the lights to artificially re-create the shiny effect lights usually have. This blog post here has a lot of useful tips.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @InVader

Here you are some updates, guys and gals and robots!

Ok, there are some changes in the GES-pipe fitting, which now features a nozzle towards the chamber which will contain the goo. I improved the GES-pipe itself (even though there's not the window, yet). I also added an ammo counter near the pipe. As last thing I started to think about the canister. What you see in the right side is a canister holder, where the ammunition should go.

I'm currently working on a goo orb using metaballs, to figure out what should we see in the secondary fire animation from a first person perspective, but it's too embrional to show you.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    imho, you should just keep working on it, then later surprise us with a big update

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi again! I'm starting to model the GES pipe (which will feature the glass window suggested by InVader), but I have some doubts about its size and placement (obviously it is not finished, yet). What do you think?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The fact is that the latest pipes are for the pressure: GES doesn't flow there. I'll make something like you said in the GES pipe (near the dissipator).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pipe is good, though it would be nice if it would be some sort of transparent plastic, so that you can see the goo flowing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another little and quick update. What do you think about the placement of the pipes?

FIRST PERSON

Spoiler

THIRD PERSON

Spoiler

SIDE VIEW

Spoiler

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by InVader View Post
    Oh, don't worry it is far from organic. If anything, the smooth curves help YOU with keeping up visual clarity! Speaking from experience, when the model has lot of blocky/sharp and flat shapes, artists usually tend to litter it with all kinds of silly little knobs, screws etc. anything just to break up the form. With curves defining the basic shape, (for some reason) you don't see the body as "empty" and you feel no need to fill it with anything, because the basic shape already gives you satisfaction.

That being said, I hope I get to see some small goo-filled glass tubes and cables there. That should help make it feel even less organic and more... scientific instead (that's neither industrial or sci-fi). Like some highly experimental prototype weapon, that just came out of the lab.

Thanks for the feedback! (I actually read it a long time ago, but only now I have the opportunity to reply here due a MINOR update)...

SPOILERZ!!!!1111!1!!1!!!!!1

Now: here you are the updates, guys and gals.

FIRST PERSON

Spoiler

THIRD PERSON

Spoiler

SIDE VIEW

Spoiler

Ok, it didn't change much at all, but I fixed some serious problems in the wireframe.
    Last edited by rapfamily4; 05-28-2016, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, don't worry it is far from organic. If anything, the smooth curves help YOU with keeping up visual clarity! Speaking from experience, when the model has lot of blocky/sharp and flat shapes, artists usually tend to litter it with all kinds of silly little knobs, screws etc. anything just to break up the form. With curves defining the basic shape, (for some reason) you don't see the body as "empty" and you feel no need to fill it with anything, because the basic shape already gives you satisfaction.

That being said, I hope I get to see some small goo-filled glass tubes and cables there. That should help make it feel even less organic and more... scientific instead (that's neither industrial or sci-fi). Like some highly experimental prototype weapon, that just came out of the lab.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Personally I don't see it as organic but... heh... tastes.
    Like sure it have some rounded shapes, but it's more like it was build with a nice design, a little like the stingers fomr Raixs or Invader for exemple, instead of the junk like thing that Kazeo is modeling right now which put functionality first.
    It's a sci-fi clean design.

I would see it as organic if it really used elements that give a living feel. Be it in shape or in motion. Like if i was referring it to something truely alive (the tentacles are a good exemple, even if it's mechanical, the way it moves and looks makes it somewhat alive).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X