Impact Hammer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    I love this start. Anyway, I think you should make larger the horizontal handle: it looks disproportionate comparing it with the grip.
    Yeah that might be a good Idea, I was looking at jackhammer handles and was surprised how flimsy they look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical_Jack_Hammer_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	345500

I'll scale this up in the next iteration.

Originally posted by cafe
    I think part of what made the double piston look bad, was the uniformity of all of the barrels. They were all the same diameter and were all aligned with each other. I still think I prefer the non doubled up version, but it might not look that bad if you narrowed the diameter of the lower pair and skewed their position inward to make more of a "V" alignment.
    It's pretty easy to test these things if you wanted to sketch out a couple configurations you'd like to see I'd be willing to test them out. I'm kinda sitting on my hands a bit waiting for some more feedback from eightball, so I wouldn't mind testing things out. I'm sure as this design moves forward we will find the right balance.
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Thanks for the consideration.

Did you think anithing about the shield secondary fire?

-Luigi Rapetta
      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

New hammer downright requested a completely new model. I always imagined that the new weapon will beat what some energy discharges. Right now weapon №1 resembles on the principle of action a Handheld Graviton Accelerator from Dead Space.

But just as four members EPIC team satisfied with the Hammer from UT 3 in new hull, I'm not going to be against it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mad IVIax View Post
          New hammer downright requested a completely new model. I always imagined that the new weapon will beat what some energy discharges. Right now weapon №1 resembles on the principle of action a Handheld Graviton Accelerator from Dead Space.

But just as four members EPIC team satisfied with the Hammer from UT 3 in new hull, I'm not going to be against it.
          I'm not sure I understand your post. I've never played deadspace so I may need a bit of an explanation.

Anyways some small progress:

I beefed up the handle quite a bit. I think the change was an excellent suggestion, really gives the weapon some heft.

Still trying to get a feel for the placement Of the pistons I two is the way to go. The actual positioning may need some tweaking.

I also did a Couple first person renders trying out a few placements:

Name:	Hamma_16.jpg
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	345515Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_17.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	345516Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_18.jpg
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	345517Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_19.jpg
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	345518Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_20.jpg
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	345519
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey man, nice work. Two is my favorite piston position, with some minor tweaks. Will try to do a paintover when I get the time. The bottom is good for now, but I think it's important to focus on the profile silhouette and fps view first so those are the paintovers I'm gonna tackle next.

Comment

I really like the first and the the third piston positions. I think the second is not bad in terms of style, but it looks like it cannot manage an impact from the upper zone of the pad, which should be attached to the pistons: there is more resistance in the bottom and in the center zone rather than in the upper zone.

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
              Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by eightball_ View Post
                Hey man, nice work. Two is my favorite piston position, with some minor tweaks. Will try to do a paintover when I get the time. The bottom is good for now, but I think it's important to focus on the profile silhouette and fps view first so those are the paintovers I'm gonna tackle next.
                Thanks man. Looking forward to it.
                One thing to consider is how pnuematic pistons work. I'd like a believable intake and outtake valve setup, Check out this wiki page if your not sure what I mean. The design for this weapon would be the double acting cylinder where air is pumped into one side to retract the cylinder and then air is pushed into the other to push it back the other way. Based on the function of the hammer, air is compressed slowly as the weapon charges, then air is quickly forced into the other side creating the force for the attack. basically to sell this we'd want to have the appropriate hoses etc for the action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_cylinder

Comment

Awesome work, great stuff everyone!
                  Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                  Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                  Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                    Awesome work, great stuff everyone!
                    Thanks! Always nice to hear from you guys any thoughts on the design so far?

Comment

Wow thanks YemYam! Glad you like it.

Here is a paintover of the profile view and a quick fps view. These are just rough paintovers with approximate suggestions of detail so please refer to the original concept for the surface details.

Attached Files

Comment

That Side view is sick seriously awesome work! just to be sure, that top piston is supposed to be centered? I think having the back of the weapon slanted forward takes away from that cool detail you have on top in your original concept. I can do both not a big deal. I was thinking there could (and perhaps should) be a pressure gauge of some sort on the hamma, might be a cool little feature and could add some visual punch to the top. Plus it would have a nice bonus of clarifying things on the gameplay side. There are lots if cool looking gauges out there I'm thinking that might be worth exploring. Just some thoughts.

Anyways awesome job I'll start working out the profile ASAP!

Comment

Yeah, the top piston is centered, just realized the 3/4 concept I did was incorrect. Sorry about that! Also, feel free to add the pressure gauge or any personal touches you think might be interesting. If anything I can always do paintovers to reign it back, expand on what you add, and/or guide it in a direction. It's an iterative process so just have fun! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Comment

Loving the way this concept is coming along, great progress.

The impact head is looking great, I definitely like the black contact surface and panel lines there, they make it look a lot more functional. Shape of the back end could use some fiddling, it looks kind of mushy and not aggressive enough.

Just as an idea for some details, maybe you could add some struts similar to these as some kind of reinforcement around the front or just around the impact hammer in general, just to make it look like it's really heavy duty and sturdy:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Originally posted by eightball_ View Post
                              Yeah, the top piston is centered, just realized the 3/4 concept I did was incorrect. Sorry about that! Also, feel free to add the pressure gauge or any personal touches you think might be interesting. If anything I can always do paintovers to reign it back, expand on what you add, and/or guide it in a direction. It's an iterative process so just have fun! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
                              Cool, I'll keep plugging away. Maybe you could draw up what you had in mind for the front silhouette? Just do a few configurations on the pads (simple black and white is fine) you'd like me to test out. I've got a idea for how to iterate those shapes really quickly so go nuts if you want.

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
                              Loving the way this concept is coming along, great progress.

The impact head is looking great, I definitely like the black contact surface and panel lines there, they make it look a lot more functional. Shape of the back end could use some fiddling, it looks kind of mushy and not aggressive enough.

Just as an idea for some details, maybe you could add some struts similar to these as some kind of reinforcement around the front or just around the impact hammer in general, just to make it look like it's really heavy duty and sturdy:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                              I like those struts and I think I'll be able to work in that suggestion for sure.
                              Last edited by thatscrawnyki; 05-15-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Progress, progress, progress.

I'm pretty happy with how things are lining up with the concept. I'm calling the blockout for the main forms finished.

From here it will be filling in the detail gaps one piece at a time.

Name:	Hamma_21.jpg
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	345589Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_22.jpg
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	345590Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamma_23.jpg
Size:	186.6 KB