Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Hello, guys and gals!

Today, I'd like to show you a concept art I did for a new weapon variant: the Fusion Cannon. I'd like to design it as a Flak Cannon variant, due its similarities in style and gameplay. But now, let's go in order.

I originally wanted to create a model for the BioRifle, searching a good and original design for that weapon. You can find all my past work in the following link: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...Hybrid-Design). Then, I realised that the latter model would have never been in the game, but I didn't want to throw away all my efforts, choosing to create something completely new in both art and gameplay using the same concept.

ART:

So, this is the first concept of the Fusion Cannon, a shotgun-like weapon which shoots molten metal. I'll realize the 3d model and I'll show you the progress as soon as possible.

Spoiler

As I said, I am inspired to the Flak Cannon and to my former Bio Rifle. I wanted to design something of industrial, but at the same time elegant, using diagonal lines.

The molten metal is loaded in a canister on the other side of the weapon. The hot material flows in a thermal pipe (on right), going into an open chamber where all the metal particles float due a magnetic field.

GAMEPLAY:

One premise: this is a Flak Cannon variant, so there are some similarities in the gameplay mechanics.

Primary: it shoots 8 relatively little particles of molten metal at a large spread (as a shotgun). They work as projectiles (they're not hitscan) causing a damage of 5hp for each bullet. They're a bit faster than Flak shards and the cooldown time for each projectile is 1 second (then, they'll be deleted from the game world). Only if the bullet hits the player, it does a really little burning damage, causing 3 mini-crits of 1hp (3 * 1hp) within the cooldown time. The projectiles, which hit the scenario, stick on it within the cooldown time, but they don't cause any damage to the player. The fire rate of the primary fire is equal to UT99 Flak Cannon's.

Secondary: It is a charge mechanic, but each charge stage doesn't use any ammo. Technically, it is a aggregation meccanic. As a matter of fact, in each stage the number of projectiles halves, but they become double sized, causing double contact and burning damage; in addition, they will be more afflicted by gravity due the weight and, on impact, they will cause an area damage with a radius equals to the double of projectile's. The aggregation/charge ends when all the molten metal particles become one single, big orb. The fire rate of the secondary fire depends on how much the particles are aggregated.

What do you think? Any feedback is appreciated!
    Last edited by rapfamily4; 07-27-2016, 08:33 AM. Reason: Wrong button (I thought it was the preview one)

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

N00b !!! IS copy Trobojrn weapon IN OVerwatch !!! U not original !!! MOlten metal shotgun already DONE !!! U bad !!!

I'm kind of confuse... Are you trying to make a reskin or a new weapon ?

Comment

I was thinking to create a new weapon. About its gameplay mechanics, I TOTALLY FORGOT TORBJORN'S WEAPON xD... thanks for the reminder: I'll try to do something different. And about molten metal: what about hot mercury?

-Luigi Rapetta
      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I not sure mercury would be the best metal to choose. It's already in a liquid state at ambient temperature, so not much to truly melt, and otherwise if you still try to heat it the boiling point is 356.73°C (I'm not using your **** stoopid F you 'muricans !), which isn't impressive compared to ,let's say, 1538°C for Iron just for melting point. And so it will then transform into a (rather strange) gas weapon if you boil mercury ? Not sure if it's that appealing either tho.

Also why would you actually pick up mercury for a weapon ? Or even for this kind of... tool (if it's a tool) ? There's probably better materials to be used.

When typing something about the MonsOlympus' Gorge model, I found in the Allerian colonies that they mined Iridium, maybe that could be a more interesting component to choose ?
        Look at this link for more details :
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium
        There's also some cool property that maybe can give you inspiration ?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
          I not sure mercury would be the best metal to choose. It's already in a liquid state at ambient temperature, so not much to truly melt, and otherwise if you still try to heat it the boiling point is 356.73°C (I'm not using your **** stoopid F you 'muricans !), which isn't impressive compared to ,let's say, 1538°C for Iron just for melting point. And so it will then transform into a (rather strange) gas weapon if you boil mercury ? Not sure if it's that appealing either tho.

Also why would you actually pick up mercury for a weapon ? Or even for this kind of... tool (if it's a tool) ? There's probably better materials to be used.

When typing something about the MonsOlympus' Gorge model, I found in the Allerian colonies that they mined Iridium, maybe that could be a more interesting component to choose ?
          Look at this link for more details :
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium
          There's also some cool property that maybe can give you inspiration ?
          Many thanks for suggesting the Iridium! I like this idea. And I'd like to refer this weapon as an Axon experiment to create something of portable which melts this material, which could be both cool and menacing since Iridium melting point is 2446 °C / 4435 °F ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It could have been also a tool used in the Allerian mines.

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

If it's Axon oriented, you might search a more sci-fi or technological (and experimental) approach, rather than an industrial one. What I mean is that they might have designed a tool for a mining corporation (including Liandri), but give them their distinct look and signature. Judging your concept art, it looks more like a Liandri tool with so much angular shapes, screws and big rubber pipes.Not that Axon can't have them, but it should feel different).
            One exemple, could you make the spinning thing that you see in SC2 cinematic at 1:40 ?
            https://youtu.be/XZd9n373vf4?t=1m39s
            Put two on the sides for exemple, to indicate that it's heating up ? (with a smoke effect coming out it would be gorgeous !)
            Also maybe use some more curves.

In terms of mechanic, I was re-reading Iridium's properties, and those reminescents are it's use in high temperature condition and as an electric conductor. So I'll propose something that probably isn't in the line of what you were thinking but... :
            -Primary fires bolts (shaped like Half-life crossbow bolts but smaller) doing damage, and sticking into the wall or target with a short lifespan (like Halo's needler projectiles).
            -Secondary is a taser that you can use as a melee combat form, doing constant damage as long as you're sticking with your target (hugz !).
            -You can combo by first shooting with your primary, then melee it with the secondary. It will create a "blast" that will push and deals important damage to your target. If it's sticking to a surface you can use it to propel yourself in the opposite direction, but with minor or no injury.

Of course there's some option to see how to balance it or make it work properly. Like increasing the damage/knockback of the combo depending of the number of bolts in the target/wall. Or instead of pushing you back, it creates an electrified traps when using the combo on a wall.

Comment

If it's Axon oriented, you might search a more sci-fi or technological (and experimental) approach, rather than an industrial one. What I mean is that they might have designed a tool for a mining corporation (including Liandri), but give them their distinct look and signature. Judging your concept art, it looks more like a Liandri tool with so much angular shapes, screws and big rubber pipes.Not that Axon can't have them, but it should feel different).
              One exemple, could you make the spinning thing that you see in SC2 cinematic at 1:40 ?
              https://youtu.be/XZd9n373vf4?t=1m39s
              Put two on the sides for exemple, to indicate that it's heating up ? (with a smoke effect coming out it would be gorgeous !)
              Also maybe use some more curves.

In terms of mechanic, I was re-reading Iridium's properties, and those reminescents are it's use in high temperature condition and as an electric conductor. So I'll propose something that probably isn't in the line of what you were thinking but... :
              -Primary fires bolts (shaped like Half-life crossbow bolts but smaller) doing damage, and sticking into the wall or target with a short lifespan (like Halo's needler projectiles).
              -Secondary is a taser that you can use as a melee combat form, doing constant damage as long as you're sticking with your target (hugz !).
              -You can combo by first shooting with your primary, then melee it with the secondary. It will create a "blast" that will push and deals important damage to your target. If it's sticking to a surface you can use it to propel yourself in the opposite direction, but with minor or no injury.

Of course there's some option to see how to balance it or make it work properly. Like increasing the damage/knockback of the combo depending of the number of bolts in the target/wall. Or instead of pushing you back, it creates an electrified traps when using the combo on a wall.
              Thanks a lot for your feedback! I LOVE you gameplay mechanic, too! By the way, I would replace the darts with molten Iridium, maintaning the semi-conductor features!

Anyway, I'm working on the top slide of the gun: I didn't start the main body, yet. So I'll try to add the spinning weels and a more Axon design. I think something cool will come out!

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                Thanks a lot for your feedback! I LOVE you gameplay mechanic, too! By the way, I would replace the darts with molten Iridium, maintaning the semi-conductor features!

Anyway, I'm working on the top slide of the gun: I didn't start the main body, yet. So I'll try to add the spinning weels and a more Axon design. I think something cool will come out!
                Well that's what I was meaning with the bolts, it's white hot Iridium with a rod shape for better conductivity.

See the bolt ? Same thing, but with Iridium instead of Iron. And then it use the same principle as lighting striking rods for the combo.
                And with cool announcers for it !
                "High voltage !"
                "Contact !"
                (My favorite will still stay "In. Your. FACE !" tho !)

Comment

Well that's what I was meaning with the bolts, it's white hot Iridium with a rod shape for better conductivity.

See the bolt ? Same thing, but with Iridium instead of Iron. And then it use the same principle as lighting striking rods for the combo.
                  And with cool announcers for it !
                  "High voltage !"
                  "Contact !"
                  (My favorite will still stay "In. Your. FACE !" tho !)
                  I have an idea: the primary fire shoots hot Iridium mini darts, while the secondary melts and electrifies them instantly, spraying the molten and electric material within a melee range (taser).

Anyway, I quickly modified the concept: what do you think?

Last edited by rapfamily4; 07-28-2016, 09:10 AM. Reason: Grammar

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

A quick update: I'm starting to model the gun taking a look at the latest draft.

Spoiler

-Luigi Rapetta
                    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Yeah sorry for not repsonding, was thinking a little bit about your gun.

So firstly, I believe you should play even more with curves. There should probably more rounds than edges. I also prefer your previous lower grip over the most recent. Your handle and trigger is nice however. To give a more precise idea about what I think with "moar curves", well it's more or less like Halo Covenants' weaponery. That's what gives them that "high-tech" vibes, what show their more advanced. I think Axon products should kind of have the same vibe.
                      When suggesting the spinning thing, I also imagined it a lot bigger, like a really prominent features on the gun (to convey it's really melting metal inside the gun).
                      Another idea that crossed my mind is to flip you... mouth (?) 90°, make it horizontal rather than vertical, and add two "teeth" or rods (or anything like that, and I say two but it can be how much you want), like a taser, for the secondary attack.

Ho and one feature I saw missing (or that I don't see) that is a staple in any gun : do a clip !

If anything else come into my mind, I'll let you know. But keep up the good work !

Comment

Well, there's a clip in my latest draft. Anyway, I think straight lines are not bad, since I'm inspired from the current Shock Rifle model, which has got a lot of lines of that kind and I really like it.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...6&d=1421269897

The problem is that this Shock Rifle is made by Liandri, which is quite strange to me since that weapon seems a sci-fi weapon with sci-fi mechanics, so well linkable to Axon. Is Axon style similar to the Shock Rifle's?

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Edges aren't bad in themselves, but they're too visibles in your design and cut the silouhette really hard.

Honestly ther's nothing to indicate who's the manufacturer of the Shock, and knowing that the Skaarj used a similar technology (see the Izarians and shock lance) you can always speculate if the ASMD technology (the origin of the shock weapons) originated from humans or something else.
                          Now maybe I'm just too much on what I "think" Axon "should" be. Since we don't have anything that can give us a clear line to follow... it's all up to our speculation.

Comment

Ok, guys and gals! I'm back with some renders! One premise: it is not finished and I'm posting to show you the current stage of the model.

The renders provide several points of view, including two particulars on the LEDs and the iron sight.

About the lore, I don't want to focus on it for now, since it forces me to deviate the style of the weapon. Let's make a cool weapon first, and then we'll put it in whatever faction it fits for.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

It's... a little similar to the Impact hammer no ?
                              If you really want to put some colors at this stage, try different variations. For something a little more "high tecnology", maybe you could use the same scheme as a plasma lamp ?

You sure you don't want to rotate the barrel ? Could give something really different and unusual.

I suppose the LEDs are here to help targeting ? That's a good idea ! However the iron sight seems rather unpractical. It's a bulky weapon, and I doubt that kind of aiming is adapted for it. It isn't like a conventional rifle or a sniper, which are slimmer and easier to handle. Plus the barrel will probably move, so using it is impossible.

Other than that it seems like a pretty good start ! Keep it up !
                              And I'll never stop bothering you with lore... NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAH !

Comment

Working...
                              X