Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulse Gun

Modeled it in 4 days just for fun.
    Used this pic and a couple of screenshots as a reference.

I wanted it to look like something very old but still reliable (I think that's what the author of the original concept was aiming for), so I added a few old-fashioned switches here and there. And I also noticed that the original weapon didn't have any sights so I mounted some kind of a display on the carry handle, which is connected to the camera under the barrel. The display is supposed to be a later addition, that's why it is attached externally.

Lowpoly and baking next.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of UT99 and I don't want it to be among the primary weapons in UT4. However, I think that it could be nice to have a few old weapons for nostalgia purposes, just like there were UT2003 weapons in UT2004.

Upd. The latest screenshots:

Last edited by Aberiu; 11-20-2014, 11:05 PM.
    ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Awesome!

Love that readout on the carrying handle! Although if the doodad on the side is a laser pointer it might be redundant: That hole on the bottom of the gun is apparently an unusable laser pointer, judging by one of the UT loading splash screens. (I'll edit this post to add a screenshot of it later. Google searches aren't helping me find an image showing it off)

EDIT: Here's a screenshot from the PS2 loading screen. The PC version has the bottom of the pulsegun and the laser cropped out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulsegun.png
Views:	1
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	328863

SECOND EDIT: Looking at the readout, it looks like it could fall off because there's no obvious support to it. Perhaps adding in a pair of "clips" (for lack of better term) to the sides could fix that? Anyway, good work!
    Last edited by Cyrus the Guy; 06-02-2014, 10:54 PM. Reason: Adding in a screenshot for demonstration
    Fan of arena shooters since 2002. Owns Unreals 1 & 2, Tournaments 1999, 2004 & UT3. Also owns both Championship games and the PS2 Tournament.

Comment

The doodad on the right side is basically just a decoration. Might be some kind of a scanner or another sci-fi device. It obviously cannot be a laser pointer because it's line of sight is blocked. I saw the red lens below on the UT99 model and, as I said, I replaced it with a camera.
      ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Its great , good work

Comment

nice! good job.

Comment

I would love to have the UT99 Pulse Gun instead of the Link Gun in DM/TDM and CTF matches. I'm hoping you can get this into the game once UT4 is released.

Comment

Great work! Only suggestion is maybe add a wire connecting the digital readout to the side or anywhere on the body of the weapon connecting the electronics to the magazine capacity remaining or something like that? Just a thought, anyway keep it up. So glad there are many UT fans around!

Comment

Beautiful, and very true to the original, with the revolving multiple barrels.

I would love to see that model in the game. I have always thought of the pulse gun as one of UT99's signature weapons.
                **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
                64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
                READY.

Comment

Thanks guys. Here's the lowpoly:

8k tris.

Upd. Started texturing today.

Last edited by Aberiu; 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM.
                  ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Nice . UT'99 fan approves.
                    Unofficial Enforcer Model
                    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Well done so far, thx for your work
                      Like the other UT99 weapons, I also like this version of the pulsegun the most, because of the rough edges, its heaviness and strength... Some of the modern versions of those weapons appeared like theyre made of plastic. The UT3 linkgun was a good example of this ^^

BTW, Do you know of the silver pulsegun? It was part of the first demo, or dreamcast/PS Version of UT (not sure), which looked also nice

Name:	wallpapers03.jpg
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	328961
                      [edit] found another one [/edit]

Name:	tapeta2.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	328962
                      Last edited by EisWiesel; 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM.
                      :: My UT3 maps :: German UT3 mapping tutorials :: UT Art :: current UT4 map WIP ::

Comment

Originally posted by EisWiesel View Post
                        Well done so far, thx for your work
                        Like the other UT99 weapons, I also like this version of the pulsegun the most, because of the rough edges, its heaviness and strength... Some of the modern versions of those weapons appeared like theyre made of plastic. The UT3 linkgun was a good example of this ^^

BTW, Do you know of the silver pulsegun? It was part of the first demo, or dreamcast/PS Version of UT (not sure), which looked also nice

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4959[/ATTACH]
                        [edit] found another one [/edit]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4969[/ATTACH]
                        Somebody should remake the persons exactly as in these wallpapers. Perfect example on ut99 persons as modern hi-poly figures.
                        And of course a silver pulsegun would be nice aswell - maybe with a deep blue or red colored plasma.
                        **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
                        64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
                        READY.

Comment

Originally posted by EisWiesel View Post
                          Some of the modern versions of those weapons appeared like theyre made of plastic. The UT3 linkgun was a good example of this ^^
                          Whaaaat!? The original pulsar gun looked exactly like those kids toy nerf guns.

UT3's link gun is one of the most amazing weapon designs imo. Unique and alien influenced.
                          Reminded me slightly of the Fifth Element ZF-1 gun, but much more advanced and elegant.

Do I really have to see the brilliant high poly models of UT3 getting dissed and replaced for the next UT with boxy, unfuturistic, industrial and human looking ones like UT99? Oh my!
                          You know this game should attract also a few modern gamers and would be better not exclusively designed for old UT fans' tastes?

But nevertheless, the OP did a great job, it could become part of a great classic weapon package, but I seriously hope Epic doesn't fall back to such archaic designs for the stock weapons of UT4...

Originally posted by Solei View Post
                          Somebody should remake the persons exactly as in these wallpapers. Perfect example on ut99 persons as modern hi-poly figures.
                          And of course a silver pulsegun would be nice aswell - maybe with a deep blue or red colored plasma.
                          That's everything else than high poly but I wouldn't mind going for the old UT char designs. But not with 1999 grafic standards, cmon guys!
                          Last edited by TheoRiginal; 09-27-2014, 10:13 PM.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

UT3 link gun was beautiful. One of my favorite unreal weapons along with the UT3 sniper rifle.
                            If you like something doesn't necessarily mean that you have to hate the opposite
                            ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Personally, I liked the gritty flavor of Unreal and Ut99. My favorite version of the Pulse/Link was actually the one in 2k3, followed by Ut99. That's not to say that the Ut3 version was bad, per se, I just liked the industrial, human flavor better.

Comment

Working...
                              X